Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    sleeping bag

how many hammock campers are there in Albuquerque New Mexico

Hi i'm new to hammock camping and i was wondering how many hammock campers there are in Albuquerque New Mexico to go camping with.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Querky HANGERS!

Well, well, and welcome, Alboutdoorsman! I'm very new to hanging and have been searching the forum for other New Mexicans as well. I'm down in Mountainair. I bought a Hennessey on sale at REI during their Memorial Day sale and took it out the night it got here, sleeping two nights in it, one in the Manzano Mtns (which are right near here).

I found a fellow hanger in Soccorro and I think there's someone down around Silver City. Surely there are more, but, like trees on the plains of Eastern New Mexico, they seem far between and few.

There's an addictive bunch of material here. The Shugemery vid's are entertainment in themselves, and much other good stuff here as well. Am working on first DIY projects, gathered end hammock, Under Quilts, etc.

Let me know if you find others who would like to get together and hang out, as it were.
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    sleeping bag

new frend

Hey hows it going? So you watch Shug to huh. I have been watching him on youtube for awhile now. He is the one that got me thinking about hammock camping. So you got a hennessy hammock? I was thinking of buying a hennessy hammock to start with they say that is a good hammock to sleep on your side cause i can't sleep on my back. So you camp in the manzano's. Were at? Are you close to the fourth of july camp grounds? Well keep in touch and maybe we can meet up and hang together.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

New Mex Hangers

That is what I'm hoping, that we can find some hammock folk and hang out around our beautiful state.

Fourth of July campground would be on the north end, I live down here on the south. I go up Red Canyon more often. My plan is to hike the length of the Manzanos this year, so am getting my camping act together.

Let me know when you get geared up. I'm no expert, but the HH has proved understandable and comfy enough to sleep in. From reading the forum, it is not the preferred gear, I think, but is a good intro. The supershelter is probably a necessity if thinking of colder weather. Haven't got one yet, but my have to.

Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    HH Expedition ASym
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ w/IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Bottom insulation is a *MUST*. There's no getting around it. It's over 100 degrees out down here this week during the day, but it still drops into the low 70s or lower at night and that's Ok with nothing under you.....until there's a breeze. And as we know down here... There's pretty much never not a breeze.

And that's down here in town out of the mountains. Take it up to 8 or 9k feet and you'll be dreadfully sorry you didn't have something more than a sleeping bag under you. I promise it isn't enough. I went 6 nights, 7 days freezing my tail off on my first trip.

I ended up trying all kinds of junk. I filled my pack cover with pine needles one night.... Good loft, effective, but too small. Despite how comfy a hammock is, I didn't sleep well a single night out there.

At any rate, you can read plenty about bottom insulation here. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think, like I did, "Hey, it's a desert out here, I don't need anything under me....." It's a dirty rotten lie. Spend the time and/or money to get some sort of bottom insulation made up. I promise it's worth it .

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Somehow shug got me into it as well, shug the gateway lol

Hammock
    DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hi Fellow NM hangers,

I'm in the Ruidoso,NM area. Lots of hangin' trees here and as the summer heat sets in our mountain elevations in the White Mtn. Wilderness and Lincoln National Forest are a refreshing relief. One great hike & hang is the Crest Trail (22 miles) within the Sacramento mountains. Feel free to drop in.
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Not to threadjack, but: I'm going to be riding (motorcycle) through Albuquerque in a couple of weeks, on my way back to Dallas from Colorado. I couldn't pass up a chance to swing through Albuquerque to pick up some hatch stew and the like -- things I can't find in Dallas. The plan was to overnight around Bottomless Lakes state park, even though from what I can tell it is somewhat tree-limited.

Any local advice for a passing hangin' noob? I'll be leaving from the San Juan national forest/north of Durango on Monday morning. My other visits to Albuquerque have all been either by air, train, or i40 and no camping -- certainly no hammocking -- involved.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Ziege

Ziege,

By the time you get to Bottomless Lake State Park, I think you'll be suffering for a tree. Taozengi's suggestion of the Riodoso area makes sense. You could hang there before entering the plains to the east. Maybe even the Guadalupe Mtns to the south of there would offer hope, but haven't really been there much.

I can second brtruitt's assertion that we need uq's here in summer time. My first night out with the HH at about 8.5 thousand feet in the Manzanos two weeks ago was on the verge of unpleasant without one, despite a pad under me and a sleeping bag as well. We've fashioned a uq out of an old sleeping bag and will try tomorrow night to see how that goes.

Cool... swinging down to Lincoln Nat'l Forest would add 50-60 miles (over the Bottomless Lakes route)...not a bad trade for a better place to sleep and interesting views. Guadalupe Mtns would add about 200mi which I could do but doesn't sound as fun.

I'm thinking dispersed camping, which from what I've read is fine just about anywhere in Lincoln NF. Sounds like I'll just wander into the hills on my motorbike and find a spot that looks hangworthy. Any areas to avoid?

I'm going to do makeshift/DIY sleeping bag quilts ... I have a stack of old bags and I expect I'll need warmth in Colorado too. I'm actually working through those details/trying things out as best I can now.

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast