Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Single end Locked Brummel

Many times I need to make a locked brummel eye splice with bury using only a single end of the rope. Usually this is necessary when I want the eye splice but do not know the exact total length of rope needed. I want to make the eye splice with the locked brummel and bury, pull it tight and then pull the rope off the spool and determine the total length needed against the actual site use. Previously I have been forced to do either:

1. use a plain bury splice with stitching, or
    2. use more rope than really needed and discard the excess. This option really hurts at the price per foot for good dyneema rope.

Following the directions that Samson Ropes has, it is necessary that both ends of the rope be available to make the splice.

New England Ropes has a method for making a locked brummel splice using only one end of the rope. I have tried this method several times. Maybe on large diameter rope it works, but for the small diameter rope that we use for hammocking, 1/8" and less, I have found it impossible to undo the pull through as in step #8 in the linked page. I usually end up totally destroying the strands at the pull through in trying to undo the pull through.

In going through TeeDee's copy of Brion Toss's book on working rope, book 5, Basic Braided Splices, I found his "McDonald Brummel" splice. The McDonald Brummel splice is a method for making a locked brummel using a single end of the rope. The McDonald Brummel splice is actually a chain of locked brummels, one right after another.

What I find exciting about the McDonald Brummel isn't the locked brummel itself, but their method of making the locked brummel. It uses only one end of the rope.

It is much easier and faster than the method that New England Ropes describes. It does involve inserting the rope through itself and pulling through as described by New England Ropes, but then you do not have to undo it and pull the rope back out from itself.

This method allows me to make a locked brummel with bury eye splice quickly and easily using just one end of the rope. I can then pull only what is needed off the spool.

I have emailed Brion Toss for permission to scan the pages from his book and post here. I received a reply and they said that Brion was deep in a rigging job in Florida and would not be able to reply for some time. They had sent my request to their lawyer also.

If they give me permission I will scan and post the pages.

If they say no, then I will do the McDonald splice step by step and using the scanner, make images for posting. I think scanning their illustrations would be the better option since the illustrations very clearly depict what you are doing. Their illustrations would be much better for that than images from either the scanner or even a digital camera since it is hard to distinguish one part of the rope from another part in such images.

For those that have the book and want to learn to do the McDonald Brummel, it is listed in the table of contents.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Okay - we don't really have to wait.

Oldgringo found an illustration of the McDonald Splice here. Scroll down to post #40.

Brion Toss published his book containing the McDonald Splice in Feb. 2004 and the post in the above link was done on 7-12-2008. I'm kind of disappointed in the poster in that they do not give explicit credit to Brion Toss for previously publishing the Splice.

Brion actually gives credit to his illustrator, Margie McDonald, for developing the splice and names it after her. That's class.

I still think the drawings done by Margie McDonald for Brion Toss are better at illustrating the splice. It is easier to discern different parts of the rope and where the eye loop gets tucked in photo #4 of the post.

If Brion gives me permission, I will still scan and put the scans in the gallery and post them here.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been looking for a way to makea peice of line wiht a locked brummel on each end. I was able to do it by pulling the one brummel through but it was tough. This should make it easier.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Good stuff TF.... The learning never ends.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    This Video is a little long (two or three parts) but actually shows a very clear step by step version of what you're talking about, I believe. I had found this on the Colligo Marine website while looking for info about soft shackles, and tossed it in my bookmarks (they are actually embedded on the Colligo Marine site as sidebar tutorials) but sorta forgot about it. When I first started splicing (I say that like it wasn't just a month ago) I tried one, but it didn't look as nice as the brummel using both ends pulled through. Then again, I think it was the second splice I ever tried, so that may have had something to do with it.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    This Video is a little long (two or three parts) but actually shows a very clear step by step version of what you're talking about, I believe. I had found this on the Colligo Marine website while looking for info about soft shackles, and tossed it in my bookmarks (they are actually embedded on the Colligo Marine site as sidebar tutorials) but sorta forgot about it. When I first started splicing (I say that like it wasn't just a month ago) I tried one, but it didn't look as nice as the brummel using both ends pulled through. Then again, I think it was the second splice I ever tried, so that may have had something to do with it.
    Yes - that's the method.

Images
    When I click that link, I get "this video has been removed by the user"?

Hammock
    Too many
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When I click that link, I get "this video has been removed by the user"?
    (they are actually embedded on the Colligo Marine site as sidebar tutorials)
    They're still working on Colligo Marines website. Right side halfway down "how to videos" Looks interesting. http://www.colligomarine.com/

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShoes View Post
    They're still working on Colligo Marines website. Right side halfway down "how to videos" Looks interesting. http://www.colligomarine.com/
    Yes - the video titled "Modified Brummel Splice, Part 1" shows how to do the McDonald single end Brummel splice.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    DUH! I see it
    Book 5, - Working Rope - Basic Braided Splices

as stated above in your post....
    Tom