Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My HH treehuggers are fraying in the loops from the cords sawing through. It's a problem when the hammock is weighted and I pulled it tight. So now I just lift up on the support before I pull it tight and there's no friction.

I used a version of the all in one setup like MM listed on my Smokies hike. I liked it a lot, but it does limit the ability to store the huggers separately if they get wet/muddy/covered in tree sap. So I don't know if I want to permanently attach them.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I actually thought about adding a silnylon pouch or two to the outside of my blackbishop sack, so the huggers could be stored inside those pouches if they were wet or dirty. For the time being, though, I would just leave the suspension out of the bishop bag, and run it to the outside of the pack and stuff the huggers in a pocket. Not completely separate, but good enough I think.

When I used the webbing suspension, I never had a problem with just leaving the suspension outside of the bag and letting it hang out of the pack if I was worried about it being wet. I never bothered to remove it from the buckles.

Worst case, the point where the whoopies are girth hitched onto the hammock takes about 5 seconds to undo, so I could always just do that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I don't think of the tubing (or other options like rope thimbles) as strictly necessary, but I do think they will extend the lifetime of the tree huggers. I've seen enough examples of ropes sawing through webbing in my climbing career that I am pretty paranoid about soft-on-soft connections, and always like to have something between them to eliminate the kind of rubbing that can wear them out.
    My thoughts exactly. Not neccessary.. But should increase the longevity of the components.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Worst case, the point where the whoopies are girth hitched onto the hammock takes about 5 seconds to undo, so I could always just do that.
    Yeah, but on the WBBB that girth hitch also holds up the ridgeline, which sticks out of the gathered end. Putting it back on won't be a problem unless the ridgeline slipped back through the gathered end. It's a bit of a hassle to poke the ridgeline through that little hole.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Have you thought about replacing the dutch clips with nacrabiners to go even lighter, or does that slow it down to much for your preference, cause they do take a bit longer to lock in place. Could even use it at the point the whoppie connects with the hugger, would allow you to remove the huggers if dirty, while barely increase weight.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I've made some nacrabiners, but I greatly prefer the simplicity of the Dutch clips. The whole idea of this system wasn't to get as light as possible - it was to reduce bulk and weight while remaining at least as convenient and fast as my webbing/biner suspension.

Seeing as how I've never once removed my webbing suspension due to it being wet or dirty, I'm not terribly concerned about adding extra complexity just to be able to remove this one. This version is functionally identical to my webbing suspension, which I loved, but a decent bit lighter, and more importantly, much less bulky.

I am not an ultralight hiker by any means - I won't be cutting straps off my packs, and I will usually be carrying a knife that weighs at least a pound. I am not terribly concerned about the 31 grams - I cut weight where it doesn't inconvenience me at all, but I keep things that make my life easier, and the Dutch clips definitely fit the bill.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...I will usually be carrying a knife that weighs at least a pound...
    Or three...

I've wanted to pack my straps separately before b/c they had sap on them, but I just wrapped them around the outside of my BB bag. I guess it's not that big of a deal if you're using a system where you can keep the huggers separated from the quilts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Or three...

I've wanted to pack my straps separately before b/c they had sap on them, but I just wrapped them around the outside of my BB bag.
    I think I went pretty light at the spring hang, and only had four knives on me.

But the straps outside the bag are why I'm not too worried about removing them, especially using the BB bag, since I can just let them hang outside each end.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    dyneema
    Mustard,
    I know this is about a month too late but just read this thread and was thinking that maybe you could cut a short piece of nylon tube tape and sew it in place instead of the plastic tubing?
    i think its great to run chord through to reduce wear and tear.
    unfortunately my slackline is getting shorter and shorter the more i use the stuff

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Looks good

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast