Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    10x12 El Cheapo
    Suspension
    Cargo Straps

Renegade Hanging

By renegade I mean pulling off the road at a rest stop or other non traditional camping spot (side of road, park, etc). Ever been harassed even if it was just for the night?

There has been a few times I have slept in my car at rest stops, and for the night I think it is a human right to sleep rather than risk falling asleep at the wheel. Hell, sleep in general is a human right, but especially when fatigue can kill or injure yourself or others.

Some states are making rest stops more friendly these days by lifting restrictions on overnight only camping. I think it's a great idea.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    mac,

I drove the Pacific Coast Highway two summers ago. About the entire thing is posted to prohibit camping. I found it difficult to find a road to pull off on, and most camp sites were full, spots having been reserved well ahead of time. However, I believe they make exceptions, along the highway, for tired drivers to pull over and rest, rather than drive off the road or into another vehicle.

Sleeping in your car is one thing. If you're found sleeping in a hanging tent not far from your car, I'm thinking some may regard that as camping, rather than resting. Albeit, the rest obtained from sleeping in your hammock would be far superior than what you would get sleeping in your car.

Good luck if you try it, and let us know how it goes.

fs
    Last edited by FarStar; 06-11-2010 at 01:26.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't think I could ever feel comfortably safe hanging in a rest area.

I can't come up with a reason why a campground is any safer, though, so chalk this up to an irrational fear.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    For a 'usually' safe place to park your car and sleep, look no further then truck stops. The big stops (especially the nation-wide ones) are clean, bright, serviced, and with a very large parking area. To name just a few; there is: TA, Loves, Petro, Pilot, Husky, Flying J.

If needed you can use the showers there. They are open 24x7, the bathrooms are usually clean, you can get a hot meal.

I know most people have a stigma about truck-stops, and i have been in a few worthy of that caution; but most are clean, bright, and safe. You typically find them every 2-3 hours along the highway, and almost always near where 2 highways intersect. There might not be any places to hang, but they are much safer then sleeping along the side of the road, or even at state-run rest-stops.

Look to see where the semi-trucks are parked, you will be safe.

-Rug the (former) truck-driving, hammock-hanging, recumbent-riding, geek.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Different states have very different rules (both legal and social) so there are no simple one size fits all answers. In some places it is pretty easy to find a legal and acceptable place to sleep. Others area really trying to force you to register/record your name for the night. I wouldn't overnight in the rest stops I've seen but I have napped in my car at a few and have never been bothered.

"Boondocking", "dispersed camping", "guerrilla camping", "stealth camping" -- all will find you some interesting information if you dig through the google chaff.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziege View Post
    "Boondocking", "dispersed camping", "guerrilla camping", "stealth camping" -- all will find you some interesting information if you dig through the google chaff.
    Good list. I'd add "van dwelling".
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    since i started driving, i always took a nap at rest stops, parked between 2 trucks. was never bothered by police.
    later on i started using truck stops.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Whenever I drive to a long distance hike, 5-7 hour drive and I have to hike the next day I sleep in my car at a 24 hour kroger or walgeens because that's usully all I can fin as these places are usually quite remote. I would like to just camp out the night before, but I am usually so rushed for time to hike (work) that I can't get there early enough for that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Several yrs ago i was on the pacific coast hyway in Oregon and Wash. and was surprised how hard it was to find a place to Van sleep. Restricted sign everywhere. I ended up in a couple of overnight trailer park type place. In BC its pretty easy to just pull off the hyway on a side road and catch some zzzz's.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    10x12 El Cheapo
    Suspension
    Cargo Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Several yrs ago i was on the pacific coast hyway in Oregon and Wash. and was surprised how hard it was to find a place to Van sleep. Restricted sign everywhere. I ended up in a couple of overnight trailer park type place. In BC its pretty easy to just pull off the hyway on a side road and catch some zzzz's.
    That is one thing I have always liked about Canada. In some ways they are more free than the USA.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast