Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

DIY Hammock Sock

I've got some insultex and some lightweight nylon, and have been thinking about putting together an underquilt and topquilt, but just came across Just Jeff's article about Hammock Socks, and am thinking that this might be just the thing I've been thinking about...

I love hammock-camping, but start getting cold in the 20s because of compression of my sleeping bag...I've just bought a WB traveler with the double layer, and while I'm hoping that having a slot for a sleeping pad will help, I was also thinking about doing more, so that I could stretch my hammock-camping into winter in the ADKs...a bunch of us go out every February, with temps down into the -20s...

I had originally planned on an UQ and TQ, but like the idea of the hammock sock, with its wind-blocking capability...

My current plan is to make a tube that is about 90" around (2 X 45" of lightweight nylon fabric) and 120" long, with the "bottom" of the tube incorporating 3-4 layers of insultex...

I lack the brains and ability and experience to taper the ends, so I figured on just dealing with the extra weight, and having it drawstring-able for closure at both ends...

In the winter setup I have in mind, I would use whoopie slings to carabiners to tree-huggers, and would run a ridgeline for the hammock sock off of the carabiners to support the "ceiling" of the sock...not sure about whether or not to use static or stretchy cording for the sock ridgeline...

Those are my basic plans at the moment...I have read through some of the hammock sock threads here on HF, and the article referenced above, but would very much appreciate any input from people who have built/used hammock socks...

Thanks,

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The nylon material that I have is 60" wide, which would yield 58"-ish sides...I'm wondering if that would be better/roomier for the sock...120" around as opposed to 90"...more weight, but since this is just a winter-rig anyway, I could probably live with it...

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Jamie,
    I've considered a sock, but have not wanted to deal with the details needed to put one together. For the next Winter ADK trip, I'm planning an insulated top cover over the WBBB. I figure that this is an easier way to go, as I will not have to take into account the shifting sag as I move around, and my JRB Winter Nest was plenty warm for the bottom on the trip this year.
    I look forward to seeing your project as it progresses

-Mike

• + New Posts