Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

your hammock camping weather

i see alot of you camping in colder weather. most of the camping i do is in the summer where the nights only get into the 70s. do you think i would need any under quils or a foam pad in the in the hammock.

thanks in advance
    matt

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tcr03 View Post
    i see alot of you camping in colder weather. most of the camping i do is in the summer where the nights only get into the 70s. do you think i would need any under quils or a foam pad in the in the hammock.

thanks in advance
    matt
    70*F and any breeze and I get chilled...YRMV
    I just carry a very light UQ during summer months
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    boy it sure isnt cheap to hammock camp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    In my limited experience I have found that a piece of fleece blanket (cut to body size) is really nice when hanging in temps above the low 60s (its the lowest I've hung in so far). It's comfy, light and just keeps the chill off your back side. I haven't gotten into UQs yet, but I'm sure this Fall/Winter I will.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    That's a pretty true statement. But it sure is fun and comfortable.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are lost of folks that hang on a budget, I had to to start, a big part of why AHE is here at all. I had to DIY a lot of my first batch of gear. A pad can work and you can get them for $10 and up, a hammock can be made from Walmart $1.00 per yard fabric for 3-4 yards, suspension can be found in the autimotive section with some poly ratchet straps for another $10. and in warm weather even a cheap polyfill sleeping bag would work if you don't have anything better. A cheap blue tarp would due as a basic start. If you had to you could be fully set to hang for well under $50, sure not the best option if you want to backpack but to start and see if you like to hang (not everyone does) you could start ala budget and upgrade to either better DIY gear or store made gear as you can afford. Or yes the flip side is you could spend a $1000 in about 20 minutes with all of the fancy gear. The good thing about buying good quality gear is that it often resells on here for very close to full price if you decide to not stick with your first choices.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Just to add to that my first tarp cost me about $30 and 2 evenings. That was the start of my DIYed gear about this time last year and now well......
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    well the fabric is gone at walmart. and i cant find rip stop any cheaper than 5-6 a yard. i figure ill need about 4 yards. im about 6 foot tall so that right there is 20 bux. i have to have a net for the hammock. lots of bugs here in missouri. im not scared of sewing so thats not a probem. by the way. what type of thread do you use to hem the sides of the nylon and attach a bug net. ill use straps for around the tree and make a woopie sling out of amsteel. ill steal a rainfly from an old tent i have for a tarp. i already have a sleeping bag. its just all these under quils and over quils and pads start to add up.

also where are you getting your carabiners and how much are they running. all the ones i look at that are strong enough for climbing are pretty pricey

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    In my limited experience I have found that a piece of fleece blanket (cut to body size) is really nice when hanging in temps above the low 60s (its the lowest I've hung in so far). It's comfy, light and just keeps the chill off your back side. I haven't gotten into UQs yet, but I'm sure this Fall/Winter I will.
    As a newbie, thanks for that piece of experienced advice since I too will be hanging in temps this summer with lows no worse than the 60's.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    To get started, you can go to any local camping store or even walmart and buy a CCF pad for $20 or less. For your temps, just cut it to torso size and you're good to go.

I've also heard of some people using emergency space blankets as UQs under their hammocks. They are only a couple of dollars a piece although they may be noisy and you might have to replace them. With temps in the 70s, your primary concern would most likely be wind, so any windproof barrier would probably suit you just fine. YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast