WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing

D-Rings Instead of Descending Rings?

I'd like to convert the suspensions on my wife's and daughters' hammocks from straps and cam buckles to straps and rings. Unfortunately, I can't find any inexpensive rings out here, and I don't want to spend $5+ apiece for the nicer ones since these rigs won't be used all that much. One member (thanks, Peanuts!) has offered me a set which will allow me to get my wife's hammock set up, so I've begun hunting options for the two other hammocks.

I ran across a bunch of 1.5" steel d-rings for about a buck apiece, but wasn't sure if they'd work or not. I know I've seen them used as belt buckles, but I have no idea if they'd support weight without slipping like the ring buckles do. I figure a slippery half hitch would solve most slippage problems, but if they won't work for the suspension I'd rather know in advance and not waste my money.

BTW, weight isn't an issue since the two girls don't backpack. I just don't like the fact that the cam buckles currently on their hammocks significantly outweigh the hammcks themselves. A lighter option would be nice.

Any ideas?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    I'd like to convert the suspensions on my wife's and daughters' hammocks from straps and cam buckles to straps and rings. Unfortunately, I can't find any inexpensive rings out here, and I don't want to spend $5+ apiece for the nicer ones since these rigs won't be used all that much. One member (thanks, Peanuts!) has offered me a set which will allow me to get my wife's hammock set up, so I've begun hunting options for the two other hammocks.

I ran across a bunch of 1.5" steel d-rings for about a buck apiece, but wasn't sure if they'd work or not. I know I've seen them used as belt buckles, but I have no idea if they'd support weight without slipping like the ring buckles do. I figure a slippery half hitch would solve most slippage problems, but if they won't work for the suspension I'd rather know in advance and not waste my money.

BTW, weight isn't an issue since the two girls don't backpack. I just don't like the fact that the cam buckles currently on their hammocks significantly outweigh the hammcks themselves. A lighter option would be nice.

Any ideas?
    most of the rings are climbing rated (for weight). Most of the metal d-rings I've seen aren't rated to hold weight that heavy.
    See if you can find out what the d-rings are rated to...that would be the biggest reason either way
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    S4C:
    have you thought about cinch buckles that Paul is selling at AHE. You can get them with an amsteel chain link already installed and then larkshead them to the hammocks. I have them on my hammock and love the weight reduction from the original CB's that I was using.

Here is the link to the links!!!!!!!!

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1324005
    Last edited by bigbamaguy; 06-11-2010 at 14:46.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My _biggest_ concern about the D-rings would be construction. Most of the d-rings I have seen for that price are not welded at the seam. I would not trust those on a bet. National Hardware (brand name) 1.5" welded steel rings are rated for a SWL of 300#. Not the most reliable hardware for adults.. but they've held my lard butt off the ground without a problem. I would think they would work for some non-backpacking kiddos if they are essentially younguns.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Like Rev, I'd be skeptical of any of the D-rings I've ever seen.

That said, my first set of rings were 2" welded steel rings. I found them at my local hardware store (True Value) for less than $2 ea.

I eventually bought AHE's cinch buckles just before Paul went with the lighter buckles...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts