Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Converting HH Spectra to Straps

I have the HH Exped Asym. How do you guys (or gals) convert the lines to straps? I like the idea Jeff has on his site for the "Support System with Crazy Creek Buckles", but I have a few questions. Do you still use that system, Jeff?

1. I have not opened the end of the HH to look at it. Will I be able to remove the spectra without the end coming apart?
    2. Will the overhand knot on a bight with Air Core Plus work OK on the end of the HH or should I tie the strap to the end, and how?
    3. It's mentioned that the strap will only have to go around the tree once. Do both ends of the strap go thru the buckle or does one end of the strap have a loop sewn in it to function like the Slap Strap with only one end going thru the buckle? The latter is what I'd rather do.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    There is a pic on Jeff's site to what I do.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

I just left about a foot of cord, tied a loop in the cord, then sewed the straps to that. Works well for me. That way I can replace the straps if needed and did not need to do anything else permenent to the HH. I tie the Speer 4 wrap knot. You could use the crazy creek's in it's place.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I have the HH Exped Asym. How do you guys (or gals) convert the lines to straps? I like the idea Jeff has on his site for the "Support System with Crazy Creek Buckles", but I have a few questions. Do you still use that system, Jeff?

1. I have not opened the end of the HH to look at it. Will I be able to remove the spectra without the end coming apart?
    2. Will the overhand knot on a bight with Air Core Plus work OK on the end of the HH or should I tie the strap to the end, and how?
    3. It's mentioned that the strap will only have to go around the tree once. Do both ends of the strap go thru the buckle or does one end of the strap have a loop sewn in it to function like the Slap Strap with only one end going thru the buckle? The latter is what I'd rather do.
    1 The ends are fused/melted. The factory rope is easily removed.
    2 I recommend whipping like the factory rope was. When you get it open you will understand.
    3 With the crazy creek buckle attached to your HH you should only need one strap from the tree to the buckle.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1 and 2 - The easiest way would be like hammock engineer suggested. Just tie a loop in the HH's Spectra, probably 3-4" away from the hammock's end, then trim away the excess Spectra. That'll give you something to attach the strap to, and you won't have to take apart the end of the hammock.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to opening up the end of the HH, other than seeing what's in there and how it's put together. Arkwater's way seems to work too, if you want to take apart the hammock's end and redo the whipping.

3 - I have one long strap with a loop sewn into one end. I wrap the looped end around the tree, then thread the free end through the loop and cinch it tight. Then I just stick the free end through the buckle and tighten.

You're the third person who's asked that question since I posted the project. I guess I need to take some pics of that step.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I thought about doing something like that. My thing was with putting the straps on I elimenated 2 pieces out of the sleep system, no more tree huggers. Having the straps and buckles like that would be 2 more things I could loose or misplace. Just something to consider.

In the end, go what you like. Besides the whole comfort thing, I really like how personalized everyone's setups gets.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

Personally, I don't see any advantage to opening up the end of the HH, other than seeing what's in there and how it's put together. Arkwater's way seems to work too, if you want to take apart the hammock's end and redo the whipping.
    The advantage is that you can put the factory ropes back on if you don't like the new setup. If you cut them its permanent

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - customization is what it's all about. Do what works for you...eventually someone else will probably like it and use at least part of what you did in their setup.

Plus, the playing around is the fun part. Almost as fun as using it when you're done!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. I've been busy laying tile this weekend so I haven't had much time to think about it; one of those honey-do projects you put off as long as you can.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    But that gives you honey-credit. "Remember when I laid that tile? I'm going camping."

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    But that gives you honey-credit. "Remember when I laid that tile? I'm going camping."
    Ahh....if only it were that easy
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast