Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessey ULBP

Stealth Camping Stories

Ok, so I am getting a new HH, should be here next week. When I get it I plan to do some stealth camping here and there. Just wondering if anybody has any stories and/or pictures of them stealth camping.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are some stories in this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...TEALTH+CAMPING
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I wouldn't exactly call this stealth camping, but I think it illustrates the point.

Bmlarson and I drove down to Missouri to hike the Ozark trail. On the first day, we got a bit lost when we tried to divert from the trail and cut across to what we thought would be an interesting landmark. After following a few abandoned logging trails for a couple of hours, we got back on the trail and headed toward our chosen campsite.

We misjudged the distance and the time spent bushwhacking and instead decided to make camp near a convenient water source. The site was actually quite nice but in those days, I had not seen the wisdom the hammock and I was a ground dweller. Bmlarson had his Hennessy. On the South side of the creek was a rather steep hill. On the other side were some very nice, scenic flat areas suitable for me.

One area, in particular, was set near an old barn that showed the remnants of a makeshift fire. The other interesting thing was that all the flat sites were remarkably near a gravel road which looked suspiciously like an ATV trail.

I'm a paranoid guy and I decide to keep looking. Eventually we set up on the hill after about 45 minutes of searching for a mostly level area for my one man tent. Bmlarson, as you can imagine, simply walked up to the closest two trees from where he was standing and threw his hammock up. This was the beginning of my education, by the way, and the major reason I started considering leaving the ground.

That night, about 8:00 pm, three very loud, very obnoxious ATVs came roaring by. They stopped, looked in our direction, clearly didn't see us, and went on their way.

They probably would have been friendly, but who wants to take the chance?

FreeTheWeasel

Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    One area, in particular, was set near an old barn that showed the remnants of a makeshift fire. The other interesting thing was that all the flat sites were remarkably near a gravel road which looked suspiciously like an ATV trail.
    That illustrates an important element of stealth camping: avoid areas with fire rings and litter that might be a party spot for the locals. It sound like you chose wisely!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I once stealth camped the battlefield of Gettysburg. Strung up right on little round top. Didn't see any ghosts though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I once stealth camped the battlefield of Gettysburg.
    Funny you should mention that. I stealth camped at Shiloh Battlefield earlier this year, on the ridge across from Pittsburg Landing. It's a very peaceful place now.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    my claytor jungle hammock and 12 x 12 guide gear camo tarp,stealth camping in a city park along the harpeth river neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=1683&c=11

Images
    Yorktown Battlefield is just about five miles from my house and I hang there frequently. And like Dutch, I haven't noticed any ghosts.

Camping off the bike I pretty much stealth camp all the time.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Images
    ****... you guys have had some courage and some great sites. I'd always be nervous doing the famous locations thing, or city parks... Anywhere in the big "out there" no problem...

I really wish the guide gear tarp came in digital camo still. I'd buy a 12x12 in a minute. I love neo's stealth pic.

I seem to have most of this summer off, so I'm think of seeing how far I can walk in a month or two around my home country. So I'll should be a hardened veteran of stealth camping come Autumn
    Last edited by Nudgeworth; 09-20-2007 at 09:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast