Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GingivitisKahn View Post
    Those things are pretty pricey. If the OP was going to spend that kind of cash on a sleeping bag, I'd imagine he'd be better off just buying a decent TQ / UQ combo instead.
    Maybe, maybe not, it really depends on whether or not he is solely a hammocker. If so, a JRB set up with a no sniveler top quilt is certainly the way to go. A no sniveler is 5-6 ounces lighter than the Wren but not everyone can sleep on the ground with one, and sometimes folks, it is better on the ground for a variety of reasons. Timberline, ice storms, shelter mandates, the list goes on. Not everyone can use a quilt on the ground, I think they suck on the ground cause I don't like waking up every hour or two and retucking in the cold.

The price of an UQ is the price you pay for comfortable hanging in the cold, so it's cost doesn't count. A topquilt is almost as specialized and not as versatile as a Wren type bag, IMO.

Also, how much room do you have for storage? Everybody doesn't have a "quilt room" like Cannibal. I traded my Rocky Mtn No Sniveler and have a Mt Wash 4 for sale now because I realized my Winter Wren and Warbonnet Synthetic UQ xould be used in the same temps.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I use my sleeping bag like a quilt with a footbox. My mummy-style sleeping bag has a full zipper. So I keep it zipped to 15 inches and slip my feet into it -- with the zipper facing down -- not to the side. Then I use it quilt mode, simply tucking the sides underneath me when it's cold and pulling hood over top of my head. When it's warmer out, I don't tuck the sides of my bag and I fold the hood part down inside the bag to keep it out of the way. You will need a pad or underquilt to keep warm from underneath when using it in quilt mode.
    ====> EXACTLY how I will be using my 20* Mummy bag next week! I am going to grip clip my opened, rectangular fleece bag as an UQ, then do the same with a survival blanket on top of that. If it is not warm enough, I will slide a 3/8" CCF pad between them. Should suffice for temps predicted to be in the low 50s. With that UQ set-up, and the 20* bag as a TQ I think I will be just fine!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I use a bit of shock cord at the head and foot end of the hammock to attach to my center zip bag. Works Great! Doesn't everyone do this?

Hammock
    1.7 dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    The Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    40deg sleepingbag
    I never had this problem. Of course I get into my sleeping bag BEFORE I get in my hammock. I step into it, pull it up, bunch the slack under my pits. Sit on my hammock, pull the slack up behind my head then lay back and twist into my hammock.

Trying to get into a sleeping bag AFTER I'm in a hammock? Madness.

Granted this kinda requires it to be dry out or for you to have a drop cloth under you to begin with but still, its easy.

I use a Eureka Cheyenne sleeping bag, I have no idea if its a good or bad brand, I've just had it forever, its a rectangle cut so its not hard to stand in it or get into the hammock.
    "By endevoring to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his *** in the bargin." - Aesop, had it figured out some 2500 years ago.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I use a bit of shock cord at the head and foot end of the hammock to attach to my center zip bag. Works Great! Doesn't everyone do this?
    No, but it's on my list of things to try. Thing is, I've gotten all of these wonderful quilty things, and I may never again use a bag. Not in Indian Territory, at least...it just never gets that cold.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    Quote Originally Posted by darkknight0667 View Post
    I have an inexpensive mummy bag that I got a Wal-Mart a couple of years ago (SleepCell e2 with CoolVent by CellCorp - about $30.00-ish), and the best thing about it is that it zips up the center of the bag, not the sides.
    This bag is available at K-Mart for $25, in case anyone needs the info.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've used a Feathered Friends Winter Wren for years great kit ! and american made.

I do what I call the "Banana Methed" I basicly string the hammock through the draw string bottom of the bag.

Use a foam reflectex large windsheild garde placed in the hammock for added insulation and to give the hammock form.

I pull the bag up and around, cinch it at the head string.

It gives me a under quilt and over bag in one !!

It allows movement in the hammock, easy in and out.

In colder temps I wear a light down parka with hood .

In extreme cold ( 10% and below) I add a Exped 650 Wallcreeper over that and a paracloth bivey bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    I've used a Feathered Friends Winter Wren for years great kit ! and american made.

I do what I call the "Banana Methed" I basicly string the hammock through the draw string bottom of the bag.

Use a foam reflectex large windsheild garde placed in the hammock for added insulation and to give the hammock form.

I pull the bag up and around, cinch it at the head string.

It gives me a under quilt and over bag in one !!

It allows movement in the hammock, easy in and out.

In colder temps I wear a light down parka with hood .

In extreme cold ( 10% and below) I add a Exped 650 Wallcreeper over that and a paracloth bivey bag.
    I found that the peapod method is a bit too restrictive for me. I can't get a diagonal lay. I turned my summer weight center zip bag into a full length underquilt. I'm gonna do the same for my exped wallcreeper 650 for winter use.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I found that the peapod method is a bit too restrictive for me. I can't get a diagonal lay. I turned my summer weight center zip bag into a full length underquilt. I'm gonna do the same for my exped wallcreeper 650 for winter use.
    I've found the added width and length of the Wallcreeper 650 LONG allows
    for a good diagonal lay. Also if you use it in reverse (head end to foot, foot to head ) it will work better.

With the added width 650 LONG you can also use the No 7 dam with the bag.

fourdog

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    my number 9 dam fits in my blackbird with my frog sack as my underquilt. It's not quite as comfy as just using the uq but when it gets cold it works pretty good, at least in my backyard/front porch tests. I use the wallcreeper 650 as a top quilt and then as a bag if it gets chilly. It only gets to 40 where I'm at but I think it'll do fine out in the real world above lat 26.

It's nice to have a set of gear than can be configured as necessary with the temp and conditions. I have yet to get to the extreme winter camping level .....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast