Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Any tips on making a full length version of this out of 2 PLUQs? I have 3 coming and will probably use one for a TQ type and use the other 2 for the UQ. I'm 5'6" so I'm wondering if there will be enough to make it 6' long and how wide should I make it? Would like to have a slight taper on each end to save a small bit of weight. Also,how much benefit would I gain by putting a layer of Climashield 2.5 in it? I could get a single yard 36x60 which would give decent coverage of most of the body. I plan on cinching the ends and not darting them so this can be adjusted as needed and will be using a pair of Triangle Thingies. Thinking I can just put a tie out on each corner that way and save some shock cord.

Craig

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    So got 3 PL coming in the end of the week and will be using 2 of them to make a Full Length PLUQ. Is it better to sew in the darts or 2 sew in a channel to hold some shock cord? I will be using Triangle Thingies for hanging should I shock cord the long ends or tab the corners then shock cord up. I plan on leaving one end open so I can slide in a layer of climashield 2.5 for a bit of extra warmth.

Any new pics anyone has taken?

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just got back from 3 nights using my new PLUQ - low 50s overnight in the part of PA where I was, great sleeping weather.

I am 6'2" and was completely comfortable with the folded over, single PL design. Pillow under my head, tucked my feet/calves into the bottom of the sleeping bag I am using as a top quilt, and the PLUQ covered me from calves to neck... IMHO, the single PL is bulky enough - you probably know this already, but a UQ built from 2x PLs will be really big, even without any Climashield or other materials in the fold.

HYOH though, and good luck!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    Just got back from 3 nights using my new PLUQ - low 50s overnight in the part of PA where I was, great sleeping weather.

I am 6'2" and was completely comfortable with the folded over, single PL design. Pillow under my head, tucked my feet/calves into the bottom of the sleeping bag I am using as a top quilt, and the PLUQ covered me from calves to neck... IMHO, the single PL is bulky enough - you probably know this already, but a UQ built from 2x PLs will be really big, even without any Climashield or other materials in the fold.

HYOH though, and good luck!
    Folded in half as shown how wide is your UQ? 40-42"? Thanks

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    Folded in half as shown how wide is your UQ? 40-42"? Thanks
    ~43" wide, about 62" long. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide, "New U.S. Military - issue Poncho Liner (Product: DODX-123876, Color: DIGITAL WD)"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    ~43" wide, about 62" long. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide, "New U.S. Military - issue Poncho Liner (Product: DODX-123876, Color: DIGITAL WD)"
    Thanks for that, I have 3 coming from the flea bay this week $40 shipped for 3 of them couldn't pass them up.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Going to start on this today and have a quick question. Would I be better off to serge all the edges and turn it right side out then Grosgrain the edges and add my cinch cords and loops? I have access to a Serger and a Sewing Machine and wondering if it would be more durable to serge the edges first. I will also add grommets to the cinch cords to tighten up the ends against the hammock. There will be tabs in the corners for attaching the shock cord to. May add some dutch bling eventually but my hammock isn't here yet and want to get started on it. Planning on 70 or 72" long and ~42" wide full length version. Will be headed to the fabric store after the PL arrives to grab some Grosgrain and black poly Guterman Thread.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    So I got this pretty much wrapped up, a trip to the fabric store for some grosgrain and thread and back home I went. Ponchos showed up and I promptly cut them into size. I went for a full length for me being 5'6" I chopped 2 of them to 72x43", with the grosgrain edging I ended about 73x44" finished. Have to say many thanks to my thread injector, a.k.a. the wife, for doing the stitching. I was left in charge of technical and did all the measuring, cutting, pinning, marking. I chose 7/8" Grosgrain for the 2 long edges and 1 1/2" Grosgrain for the 2 ends. In doing so this allowed me to put 2 grommets in each end and feed my cordage through with nice clean exit holes. As I wait on my order from AHE including my Shock cord I improvised and set it up with 325 Paracord for testing. Cinches decent but will be much better once the Shock cord arrives. A loop of 7/8" Grosgrain in each corner will create the attachment points to the hammock or Triangle Thingies once they arrive. With me using paracord as the suspension right now it weighs in at 26 oz on the dot. If it is as warm as most say this will be perfect and I may make another one later with some extra insulation in it. I will try to get some pics tomorrow or the next day with some setup shown.

Thanks to Derek for letting me pester him with a few questions and now I have a brand new UQ left to make my top quilt out of.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    If i made my sew up pluq differential cut like the illustrations at the beginning of the thread, but did not add additional insulation, would that dead airspace add warmth? and how much of a difference between the two layers lengths/ widths is good, not enough, or overkill?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    PL seems pretty flat, no loft. Is it dead, or is there a way to clean and regain loft? Or is it supposed to be so flat?

Used surplus camp, NSN 8405-00-889-3883
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast