Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinheadlodge View Post
    PL seems pretty flat, no loft. Is it dead, or is there a way to clean and regain loft? Or is it supposed to be so flat?

Used surplus camp, NSN 8405-00-889-3883
    They're pretty flat, normally. Mine have had ~0.25" of loft, sewn-through. Remember that these were intended originally for temps in the fifties or so.

As far as cleaning, there should be a care and cleaning guide at one corner. Should be a black on green or brown rectangle, a bit bigger than two 3x5 index cards.

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by FLRider; 11-01-2013 at 10:25. Reason: corrected loft amount
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images
    Bummer, Mine is less than .25" doubled up! I got an lemon from online army surplus. I knew something was up when I read someone post trouble with trying to sew the batting. I'll try to clean, address oils in the batting and send it through the dryer forever to attempt reloft.

The project came out nice, though. Ripped all the trim off, then doubled over, pleated and sewed trim back on. Used a pleat to square of the angled edges as well. Will lace with shock cord tomorrow. Guess its a fifty degree instead of a 40 degree PLUQ, beats not having one. Thanks for the reply.
    Nature restores my sanity. Seeking to get out more.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinheadlodge View Post
    Bummer, Mine is less than .25" doubled up! I got an lemon from online army surplus. I knew something was up when I read someone post trouble with trying to sew the batting. I'll try to clean, address oils in the batting and send it through the dryer forever to attempt reloft.

The project came out nice, though. Ripped all the trim off, then doubled over, pleated and sewed trim back on. Used a pleat to square of the angled edges as well. Will lace with shock cord tomorrow. Guess its a fifty degree instead of a 40 degree PLUQ, beats not having one. Thanks for the reply.
    I just double-checked and it seems my estimate was a bit off. While mine isn't less than 0.25" doubled up, it is closer to 0.25" than 0.5" in a single layer. It's about 0.4" or 0.5" doubled up. I'll edit my first post, too, to avoid others having false information.

I'm sorry for the confusion there.

You can try hand-washing it or running it through the washer on the gentle cycle (they're pretty durable), then hang to dry. It should help it come back some.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Howdy,

Great tutorial! I have a few Q's:
    1) I plan to run shock cord down the full length of each long side for whatever they call the slide-ability of adjusting the UQ...do I still need those 4 corner grosgrain loops? I also plan to put in some cord locks and some cord to cinch up the short gathered ends...does that change anything the way you did it?

2) How much shorter do you make the top that touches the hammock compared to the bottom layer that you leave longer by unevenly folding it? Is there a minimum width the top part closer to you should be...or is there the possibility of too big of an empty air void if you make the differential layer width too much? I know you don't know exact dimensions of my PL...but I plan to put in some insulbright that I got from Joann's Fabric,,,,not sure if that changes anything.

3) as I will be using insulbright layer(s)....do I stitch it into place on just the larger bottom layer or through both layers?

Thanks!!!!

_John (Newb/Noob at sewing machines and hammocking)

UPDATE:

It took me a LOT of time, but it is DONE!!!! This was my first time with a sewing machine since Jr. HS...so, it probably wouldn't take me the same time IF I were to do it again...but I think I would more likely buy my own silnylon and just sew baffles into it and use whatever stuffing I can source quickly (i..e, cheap down comforter from thrift store will give a LOT of down..maybe not good fill power....or just some of the poly-batting....OR more of the insulbright that I got at Joann's Fabric?

That being said....I haven't written off the "wobbie" PL in general, or as a possible future basic underquilt...I'd do things a little differently:

---When it comes to the way I cinch up the end-channels (close to feet and head)...I broke one sewing machine needle trying to stitch parts of shock cord into place..I ended up finishing the other end by hand using needlenose plyers to get the needle to go through. MY cinching of the gathered ends was to mimic what I saw on pictures of the ENO underquilts and the cordlock(s) are in the middle of the gathered ends (i.e., closer to head than shoulders)...so I had to sew in channels for the schock-cord and sew them permanently into the corners

....and I went with completely sewn in channels running lengthwise on the longer dimensions for adjustability to slide the PLUQ fore and aft. So, overall I didn't put the 4 grosgrain tabs out on the corners. the long side that was at the fold of the PL was easier to do...it required no cutting and I just put the shock cord through and as I stitched it the grosgrain over and around it and the PL, I pinched it close to the fold so it would not be getting stitched. The other long side was a little more involved as it was actually cut edges that had to be clipped together with Staples office metal clips...I used a lot of these clips to keep things together until stitching...in addition to regular pins.

----Though not a change: I DID do the thing that Derek suggested about uneven folding to get a longer lower/outer layer and the top/inner layer closer to the hammock is shorter/narrower.

WEIGHT with all stitching, possibly too-long-cordage, and cord locks = 2lb 1.5oz = 33.5oz I guess that is kind of heavy...but it is my first one and until I either make a down UQ, or buy a shell already made by someone else and just fill it....OR whatever...THIS WILL WORK....I just have to test it out and see how it works when I HMOH

I'll add some pics a little bit later!

Pics as I promised: This first set is two different ways to roll it up compared to nalgene bottle

IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg

Next pics are of stitching and/or cinching:
    IMG_2485.jpgIMG_2486.jpgIMG_2487.jpgIMG_2488.jpgIMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpgIMG_2491.jpgIMG_2492.jpg

One of the pics shows the heavy duty stitching around/over/through the shock cord at the corner to keep it in place...another shows the pleat on the underside that my hand is pointing to.

I wish I wasn't sick right now...I'd be out in my yard hanging with this!
    _John

Very nice looking John4! I'm about to make one of these, I'll have to post pics once I'm done... I'm actually buying a Wiggy's brand PL (http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=300). I've heard great things about Wiggy's brand sleeping bags, and their PL is made with the same insulation, so I'm hoping that it will be warm enough without having to add extra insulation in the middle. Hopefully I can get it done soon enough to test in some cool weather this side of next fall!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    Traf-
    How did your PLUQ using the Wiggy's version turn out?

I see it's been over 5 years since this post, but I'm only just now finding it as I search for info on Under Quilts.

Love the idea of the PLUQ and actually saw your designs on your website going over your book. I've done plenty of camping and last year started hammock camping with earnest. We started trying all the intuitive ways to keep ourselves warm in Alaskan summer (think fall/winter for most in the lower 48), and managed to do okay with sleeping pads/bags that apparently everyone else goes through on their learning curve. My questions to you and the community:

When using the PLUQ (folded in half) does it provide you full coverage head-to-toe? When I lay on it after folding I see my feet and my head extend beyond it (only 5'10"). If the PL is instead kept fully open, with insulation and a sil-nylon sewn to it in the method of your differential baffle above, does that dramatically change the structure/shape/loft in a negative way? (it would essentially go from 62"x41" to 82"x62").

Also, looking to incorporate the clew method of suspending the PLUQ... has anyone done this to a sewn PLUQ? What were the goods/bads/indifferents?

Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast