Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    i hate supplex hammocks. it is not at all slick like ripstop or eno fabric, it is much harder to slide around into different positions. it feels like it sticks to your clothes. how heavy are you? consider a 2 layer hammock.

2 layers of 1.1 will give you 2.2 oz/yd, slightly more than a single 1.9 layer. if you need more than that, 1.1+1.9=3.0 oz/yd. this is close to supplex i believe, 2 layers of 1.9 would be 3.8 oz/yd, which i believe is more than supplex.

this way, you have the comfort of slick nylon, and you can leave part of one side open to insert a sleeping pad between the layers. ccf between a double layer hammock is almost like sleeping in an empty hammock. definatly the best way to use any pad. i have tried my 5/8" ccf between a double layer, and i could barely tell it was there. no buckling or pad movement. (my pad does have triangular cuts taken out of the hips to reduce the buckeling effect though, so i couldn't try an un-cut pad, but this is a thick pad, and it was almost un-noticable. it's only a bit more sewing, but well worth it IMO.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I am 241 and loosing...I've got some new 1.9nylon from walmart and a pc of 1.1 that I am going to get hemed and done just like you mentioned...infact..my wife is going to have it dropped off tomorrow. I guess I am going to have it just done square and then fold an asym in...kinda like I have my current one...and then gather it speer style...?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    yeah, just remember the opening on one side for the pad. the length of your pad of just less. you can put velcro there to keep it closed or just leave it off. works well either way.

have them sew the end hems so that there is only one hem at each end, with both layers making up the single hem. the sides on the other hand, should be individually hemmed first, then stitched together on the one side and partially stitched together on the side with the opening. i like the opening at the center of the side.

the easiest way to do the ends is to run string through the end hem and cinch it and then wrap around once or so and tie it off into a tight solid roundish mass of fabric. now, just slip a simple larks head/girth hitch over the mass. works great, simple fast, and secure, no whipping needed. if you ever want to try another end gathering technique, just loosen and remove the larks head, and cut the string.

good luck, should be a fine hammock for you.

Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I am 241 and loosing...I've got some new 1.9nylon from walmart and a pc of 1.1 that I am going to get hemed and done just like you mentioned...infact..my wife is going to have it dropped off tomorrow. I guess I am going to have it just done square and then fold an asym in...kinda like I have my current one...and then gather it speer style...?
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-01-2007 at 22:44.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Boo was not able to drop it off today...maybe one day this week...I'll post photos when I get it made.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    I wouldn't worry about the strength being strong enough if you're using 1.9-2.2 oz stuff...

I made my hammock shown in my gallery photos, with such a ripstop type fabric. It holds me and my girlfriend together (total weight around 320 lbs) easily, even with bouncing around and swinging and being generally silly. It holds my Dad (250 lbs)... So I think you're safe at a measly 240.

I got my samples in the mail the other day. I took a look at them and was amazed. So light and thin. Nothing like the stuff I was looking at. Makes sense now why we use this stuff. Looking back at the Walmart stuff, it looks like i was looking at 10lb stuff! Such a differnce.

However, I still havn't found a local supplier, so I'll have to wait till I can get it on-line (or special order it local). But that will cost more. I'll have to figure something out. I *realy* want to make one.

Untill then... I'll just lurk here...

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Speaking of samples...I got mine from Quest and the material I have gotten from walmart is not like this...mine is just a standard nylon...it does not have the "check" pattern in it. I liked the feel of the supplex material...but will continue to work with the nylon...If this one puts me on my rear...I'll look into getting some true RIP STOP instead of the wally world stuff.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    Speaking of samples...I got mine from Quest and the material I have gotten from walmart is not like this...mine is just a standard nylon...it does not have the "check" pattern in it. I liked the feel of the supplex material...but will continue to work with the nylon...If this one puts me on my rear...I'll look into getting some true RIP STOP instead of the wally world stuff.
    keep looking & you should be able to find rip stop at wal-mart.
    i & others have founds tons of it... both 1.1 & 1.9.... treated & untreated.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I was in Walmart today. I stoped at the fabric counter and asked if they had any ripstop nylon. the woman said she didn't know but told me to check the $1 isle. I found some burnt orange material that appeared to be ripstop nylon which I wold guess from its weight was 1.1. I showed it to her and asked if there was any other color around.

She said they don't know what is in the $1 isle because they get fabric for that isle almost everyday. She said walmart buys odds and ends of frabric and puts in the $1 isle. She said she bought a camo fabric similar to the burnt orange fabric a few weeks ago for her son to make curtins out of it.

She suggested I check back every other day or so. I really don't have time to do that but next time I'm by a walmart I'll check for some.

So I went to Joann Fabrics. The had ripstop nylon in several colors (no camo) at $7 per yard. When I asked whether it was 1.1 or 1.9 the clerk said she didn't know. When I asked if she go find out, she said there was no way to find out. At a fabric store you would think they would know what they were selling. And why aren't the carboard rolls maked as to the material?

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I was speaking to the lady who is going to teach me how to sew and she told me that Walmart has bought out Joann's Fabrics and that the walmarts are going to be loosing their fabric sections....I got some regualr nylon the other day from the $1.00 rack but it's not rip stop...I think it'll still make a good hammock though...we'll find out soon.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast