ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie

Question Need Ideas for UQ using things I gots now

I am trying to prep for Nov in GA/NC Mts. Maybe temps in the 20's at times.

So here is what I don't have:

$$$$$$

Here is what I do have:

Several Thermarests: 3/4, Long Full, and a Reg Lite

Couple extra Ozark kids bags. Thin poly types

Access to poncho liners for about $25 ea

Access to Reflectix material

I'm not going to be able to afford an Under Quilt so I have to make something that works. What would you suggest I work towards?

Should I try something fashioned from the kids bags somehow? Cut them to fit? They don't pack down much but maybe there is a way to mod them?

Or should I pursue the poncho liner with the instructions I have seen in this forum?

I use a Kelty +20 bag. I haven't had a chance to really test my hammock in cold weather. I'm looking for a decent solution. I appreciate any opinions, even critical ones.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    One question - are you planning to backpack or car camp? If car camping, use a bulky sleeping bag around the hammock (like a Speer Peapod) with a bag inside for extra warmth. Who cares about size or weight?

If backpacking:
    Don't forget pads, especially with a SPE (Segmented Pad Extender). You could make a SPE with minimal sewing, uhh, thread injecting, skills (not saying yours are minimal...) and buy two CCF pads to chop up to fit the SPE. Total cost under $50; under $30 if you find cheap ripstop (Walmart?) and pads (Walmart?) That should be functional from the 50s or 60s down to the 20s depending on how many pads you put in each night.

Also, a synthetic quilt can be made easily and can cost less then $50 if you use cheap insulation and for about $60 with good insulation (something like Primaloft, which is not the "latest and greatest" but works fine). That would take you to about 35*. Add a layer of insulation ($20 more?) to get you into the 20s.

Others will chime in with even better ideas, I'm sure.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    I am definitely talking backpacking. I will need to make some miles. I'm not an ultra lite hiker but I do have to worry about space.

Do those SPE designs work with the self inflators? Maybe use those extra bags as part of the design?
    ~KEN~

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Mtn_Man View Post
    I am definitely talking backpacking. I will need to make some miles. I'm not an ultra lite hiker but I do have to worry about space.

Do those SPE designs work with the self inflators? Maybe use those extra bags as part of the design?

Yes, an SPE works great with a thermarest. You can carry a torso sized piece of reflectix and stack it on top of the themarest for extra warmth and use it as a sit pad during the day.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Sweeeeeet! Ok, Then I may take one of these kid bags, cut it down and make a sleeve in the middle. My pad will go in there. Looking at SPE type designs, I will add the side pockets with maybe a mix of the current stuffing and some reflectix backing.
    As far as my pad and reflectix, should it be on top or between pad and hammock?
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    With a poncho liner, you can make the PLUQ! There is also a no-sew version. You can use the insulation/batting from the sleeping bags to add over-stuff to the UQ.

Sweeeeeet! Ok, Then I may take one of these kid bags, cut it down and make a sleeve in the middle. My pad will go in there. Looking at SPE type designs, I will add the side pockets with maybe a mix of the current stuffing and some reflectix backing.
    As far as my pad and reflectix, should it be on top or between pad and hammock?
    Dude, just pony up $35 bucks and buy an SPE from Speer Hammocks. You are trying to reinvent the wheel. An SPE weighs 3oz, you are going to wind up with something that weighs three pounds.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Dude, just pony up $35 bucks and buy an SPE from Speer Hammocks. You are trying to reinvent the wheel. An SPE weighs 3oz, you are going to wind up with something that weighs three pounds.
    I see he discontinued them and the stock he has left is $45. Wife said for the moment. She is right. It's tight right now. Even the $25 for the liner is a stretch. It was all I had to make it to the WNC hang over the weekend.

Sux havin' this cool new hobby and no money for the neat shiny things. But I gotta make it work somehow.

But that's ok Lot's of cool stuff was thunk up by po' folks like myself.
    ~KEN~

I see he discontinued them and the stock he has left is $45. Wife said for the moment. She is right. It's tight right now. Even the $25 for the liner is a stretch. It was all I had to make it to the WNC hang over the weekend.

Sux havin' this cool new hobby and no money for the neat shiny things. But I gotta make it work somehow.

But that's ok Lot's of cool stuff was thunk up by po' folks like myself.
    Well, if you can sew then maybe just make an SPE yourself:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html

Seriously, if you can sew, I'll send you some DWR fabric in the mail to make it from. Just PM me.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Thanks for that link! After reading that review, I am pretty sure this is the route for me. I don't have a "thread injector" but I have access to someone that does. If DWR is something that can be done with a regular machine then I would love to work with it.

I will PM you and thank you for the offer.
    ~KEN~

• + New Posts