Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been thinking about giving Yoga a shot, but haven't mustered up the courage to go put myself into positions that would probably get me arrested for doing in a park.
    Still, I hear nothing but good from those who partake in the Yoga lifestyle. Might have to take a couple of shots of whiskey and put on the spandex.
    get you a DVD at the local library or video store and start at home...embarrassment will still be included!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Cannibal, I hate that for you and your back. I hope you're on the mend soon, buddy. I can't claim back problems, but I can definitely tell you how good it feels to get of my ankles at the end of a day's hike. The Marine Corps was nice enough to beat the crap out of ankles for me in a little more than 4 short years. My ankles love my hammock!
    Last edited by Hooch; 06-14-2010 at 12:18.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Cannibal,
    So sorry about the back but with your attitude (once in 3 years is better than twice a year), you'll be back up (pun intended...) quickly! Still, I know it isn't fun now.

I practiced yoga once a week for several years and can tell a significant (negative) difference now that I haven't for a couple of years. By coincidence, I tried a short series of poses this morning (about 45 seconds worth) and they actually hurt a little. Boy, could I feel the stretching in my legs and back. I strongly recommend yoga and suggest that you start with a live instructor to learn about form. Small changes can mean the difference between further aggravation of your back and beneficial exercise. Most instructors ask before class for limitations you have so be ready to tell them or talk to him/her before class. I hope yoga can help what you have to work with.

And 40 ain't old!!! Neither is 50! It's all in the attitude and I know you've got a great one. A little weird at times, but great.
    Jay

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I have heard a lot of good suggestions on this thread for the management of chronically recurring back pain: regular chiropractic care, yoga, hammocks.

I agree with JayS: get some professional help with the basics for yoga. You can hurt yourself if you perform the poses wrong/hold them too long/transition too fast/don't make modifications to certain poses all of which can make you worse. And yoga is not just passive stretching. You also get balance training, core strengthening, and better muscle coordination/endurance. I recommend yoga to many of my patients.

One other thing I would like to throw into the mix of suggestions is an inversion table. I have a lot of people that get a lot of relief from a few minutes a day on the inversion table. Most of them do not do the full "hang-by-your-ankles-until-your-head-turns-beet-red" routine. 15-20 degrees past horizontal is enough to start out with. And inversion tables are relatively cheap these days.

Of course you should make sure your situation is appropriate for the above recommendations. I am of course partial to chiropractors, but get your back checked out to make sure that what you are going to do will not make you worse.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    cannibal, sorry to hear about your back. long time back sufferer. yoga will help ans well as pilates(machine kind). so find a pilates studio near you that have the machines. and good luck!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Wow ...sorry for your back probs Cannibal! Hope it resolves soon. I know that unless there are severe issues, or nerve compression, it can clear up with gentle care and time.

I have a coupla bulging discs in my neck from a few hard openings while skydiving, and at times it is hard to get comfortable sleeping. We'll see how it all works in the hammock, although based on yesterday's test, it should be fine!

And as to the age thing - you are as old as you are today. If given the gift of another day to spend, don't waste it!

Feel better soon! Tight Tarps!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Quote Originally Posted by hiker_DC View Post

One other thing I would like to throw into the mix of suggestions is an inversion table. I have a lot of people that get a lot of relief from a few minutes a day on the inversion table. Most of them do not do the full "hang-by-your-ankles-until-your-head-turns-beet-red" routine. 15-20 degrees past horizontal is enough to start out with. And inversion tables are relatively cheap these days..
    See post #2. I firsted the inversion table. I can't say enough about how much it has helped me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Cannibal, I turned 40 a couple of years ago, and all of the stereotypes were true! I fell apart. I hope you fair better.

As for the yoga and back pain, I posted a message about that here. It might help you, too.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...74&postcount=4

I hope you feel better and congrats on making it over the hill.

Salty

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    If given the gift of another day to spend, don't waste it!
    Learned that lesson practicing your hobby in Loveland, CO. Hit the deck hard, never jumped again.
    Don't know what I expected, the team I was on called themselves the "Dirt Torpedoes".

I am a huge fan of Chiropractic Care, have been since 1983. My problem is it's difficult for me to find a 'good' chiropractor that also uses activators. I'm very strict about utilizing that method. I had a great one here in Denver, but he moved a year ago. Been trying a few out, but haven't found one I really like yet. Still, the amount I spend on chiropractic stuff is much less than it used to be. I go maybe 4 times a year now, compared to 2 to 4 times a month pre-hammock.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    I also have back problems, yard darted by a bull. (If you are thinking abut being a bull rider, take it from me........stay away!) Anyway between hammocks and my Teeter inversion table I have been pretty much pain free.
    I had back problems BEFORE I got yard-darted...but the 3 broken and 3 separated ribs weren't exactly something I *wanted* to end up with, so I'm feeling ya there!

I'm hoping that the Traveler I ordered will help with the back problems.
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast