Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I guess I should show my pack. It's a MOLLE Ruck System, weighing in around 62#. With the gear out of it for normal camp it should weigh around 40#. My food for 10 days is in it. Bears may be an issue though we haven't had any problems in the last 3 years, except with clever ravens and Gray Jays.

Adam

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    This weekend Thing1 and I figured out how to make a covered, waterproof gear hammock that can hang under or alongside your hammock. We're going to make a prototype, and she is going to use it on her 5 day hang with the Piedmont Environmental Center when they visit the Sandhills of NC later this month.

Basically, it will be a small, non-insulated version of the IX Hammock Sock with SEEP (Side Entry/Exit Portal), made of silnylon and incorporating a zipper on the SEEP. You'll be able to hang it from both ends, as a hammock, or hang one end and stake out the other, as some HFers have done before.

I've always wanted to be able to stick to my own saying about hammock camping, "Only the soles of your shoes touch the ground." Maybe now we can attain that goal!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by huntnfish08 View Post
    I guess I should show my pack. It's a MOLLE Ruck System, weighing in around 62#. With the gear out of it for normal camp it should weigh around 40#. My food for 10 days is in it. Bears may be an issue though we haven't had any problems in the last 3 years, except with clever ravens and Gray Jays.

Adam
    I put my pack under my hammock or I wrap it in a poncho. As far as bears go you should hang your food as high as you can from a tree and suspended away from the trunk. I just got back from the BWCA early this morning from a rainy trip from Homer lake, to Vern lake, to Juno lake and out through Brule lake and my stuff is fairly dry. The fishings good, I caught 7 Walleye and to many Northerns to count. I caught most everything on crawlers and leaches.

good luck and happy hanging!

Hammock
    dd camping hammock
    Tarp
    truenorthoutdoors
    Insulation
    dd hammocks ub
    Suspension
    tape with bow knot
    why not just buy a net gear hammock from ddhammocks.com and suspend it above your hammock that you sleep in

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Tripod Use For Gear ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If I'm staying put for a basecamp style trip, I will set up a tripod off the ground and under my tarp with the JRB gear hammock/pack cover over it. This allows easy access to the gear during the day.

When I will be moving camp everyday, I use the JRB gear hammock set up along side the hammock.
    ****> I will probably be doing the tripod thing a lot .....not carry one in, but pick-up three same-length branches, and use 11" long plastic quick-ties to tie 'em together! Cut 'em off and drop the branches back in the woods when done - Leave No Trace camping trick. In fact, I use plastic ties of different lengths for lots of cool camp tricks! (Making windbreaks, camp furniture, etc) Cheap, available in almost any home or hardware store in bags, and work great!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

I made a "Basement" for my pack, also called a gear hammock, and it hangs underneath me.
    The basement closes on itself -the way I whipped it, it automatically closes tight- and my dwelling, along with my rain fly, it keeps my pack nice and dry. I try to keep it off the ground to keep all the creepy crawlies out. it only weighs 12oz with stuff sac and suspension (550 para chord). So far so good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Reduce the amount of gear I carry until I'm at the point the pack hangs off the head end of my hammock under the tarp with me and doesn't cause an issues.
    I do the same thing since my pack is essentially empty by the time I set up camp and get my hammock situated and changed. I like to think that it helps keep the creepy-crawlys off of it at night.

Clothes I've been wearing go on the ridgeline to dry out, boots underneath the hammock, food and other smelly things bear bagged and changed into my sleeping clothes.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    my pack is essentially empty by the time I set up camp and get my hammock situated
    Mine too. I zip a jacket around it as a "pillowcase" and put it under my knees at night. Very comfortable and out of the weather.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    I do the same thing since my pack is essentially empty by the time I set up camp and get my hammock situated and changed. I like to think that it helps keep the creepy-crawlys off of it at night.

Clothes I've been wearing go on the ridgeline to dry out, boots underneath the hammock, food and other smelly things bear bagged and changed into my sleeping clothes.
    I've been putting my shoes on the end of my hammock with the strings tied together for years. I've had to stop doing it since I started putting cord locks on my shoes and cutting the laces short.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images

Red face

Pack hangs at head end attached by a cabriner. Boots hang at foot end. Nothing on the ground. If rain looks likely, use my Packa around my pack at night. Spent a month on the AT with rain, snow, sleet and hail, never wet, worked for me in April.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast