Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Neat Sheet Multi-Quilt

This tutorial will show you how to make what I am calling a Neat Sheet multi-quilt. I call it a mutli-quilt because of the many uses it this quilt can serve: wind blocking layer, a weather shield used to protect a normal under quilt from damp weather, a summer under quilt or summer top quilt, a ground cover that can be used under the hammock to set gear on, or it could be used in conjunction with a standard under quilt to extend the temperature range.

This is a pretty basic project that would be really good for those just starting out making their own gear. This idea came from the Neat Sheet discussion thread. I used a regular size Neat Sheet (58"x77" by my measurements) for this project. You can pick one of these up for about $8.

I went with the dimension of 50"x77" for this quilt. I picked this size because a JRB under quilt is 48" x 78" and a Speer Snug Fit is 50"x79" (insulated area). The standard size Neat Sheet is a little short once the drawstring channels are sewn in but I still think that it will be plenty long enough to protect almost all of the under quilt when it is being used as a weather shield.

The first thing that you need to do is remove the weights from the Neat Sheet when you first get it. A Neat Sheet has 6 silver dollar sized weghts; one at each corner and two in the middle. I used a seam ripper and opened the 2 layers of the quilt up just enough to remove the weights. The next step is to cut some of the width from the quilt, taking it down from 58" wide to 50". I used a yard stick to measure 8" from one side and then made a cut line:

Do not cut the fabric yet. You first want to sew along the cut line you just made. The Neat Sheet material sews easily but you want to make sure you keep the fabric flat when sewing because a Neat Sheet has 2 layers of material and one layer will try and bunch up while sewing. Keep the material flat as possible when sewing. It has been mentioned that the Neat Sheet material has the tendency to "pill up" or develop little fuzzies on the material. This Neat Sheet pictured is my most used piece, used several times for different applications like a ground cover and a blanket, and as you can see in the picture below that the material shows almost no signs of wear:

After sewing down the cut line you are ready to cut off the extra material. Cut right next to the row of stitching you just made, with about 1/8 - 1/4" clearance from the seam. Make sure you pay attention when making the cut and don't cut on the wrong side of the line.

Next I added a drawstring channel to each end of the Neat Sheet. I also sewed on the grosgrain loops on each corner while sewing the drawstring channel. In the picture below you can see that I folded the material over about 1/2" to make the channel for the drawstring. When finished this quilt will attach to the hammock in the same way the a JRB quilt attaches and will function in much the same way. You can also sinch one end of the quilt to form a foot box when using as a summer top quilt if you want

Here is a detail on how a sew and reinforce the grosgrain corner loops. Be careful and don't sew your drawstring channel closed!:

Here's the finished product:

So there you have it. Finished weight with cord locks and drawstring is 9.2 oz. You could use 2 of these and make yourself a summer under quilt and top quilt that weighs 18.4 oz and cost under $20. You should be able to use them as a summer set in nigh time temps of 70-75*, even lower temps if you incorporate clothing into the system. I am also of the opinion that the multi-quilt, when used with another under quilt such as a JRB or Snugfit, would give you an additional 10* of protection.

I am also going to add asymmetrical loops on the side that will match up with the side tie outs on my HH clone. I will try to get some pics of the quilt attached to my hammock in the near future.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for posting that HC. Great post.

As for the Neat Sheet material itself, what are the main properties of it, as far as water resistance, breathability, etc.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks for posting that HC. Great post.

As for the Neat Sheet material itself, what are the main properties of it, as far as water resistance, breathability, etc.

Here's some comments I made in another thread:
    Tyvek vs. Neat Sheet?

The Neat Sheet is much softer than even washed Tyvek. Very comfortable against the skin. Reminds me of Frogg Toggs type material, only softer. Camparable to t-shirt cotton after it has been washed.

Neat Sheet is water resistant to a point. A light spray of moisture just beads up and can be shaken off. Water will pool on the sheet but it will get wet if pressure is added. For instance, if you sit on the Neat Sheet with a wet swim suit it will get wet. If submerged in water it will get wet. It dries really fast. Tyvek has it beat on water resistance.

Nothing sticks to my Neat Sheet including dirt, sand, sticks and leaves. Give it a shake and it's gone. BIG advantage over Tyvek. Anyone who has used a piece of Tyvek for a while knows it gets "hairy" and will pick up debris that is really hard to get it off.

Neat Sheet weighs 9.9 oz for a 57"x77" piece of fabric (regular size) after the weights are removed.

Neat Sheet is much more breathable than Tyvek. The material itself is 2 layers sewn together, but it's really easy to blow through it. Although breathable, I think it would do a lot as a wind stopper layer under a hammock, probably adding a few degrees of warmth. The website even states it can be used as a wind blocker........

......During my vacation to Edisto Beach last week I got to do some field testing on the Neat Sheet. I used the NS as a quilt over 4 nights and for warm summer weather it is perfect. Most nights I slept with no quit most of the night because of temps, but is was perfect for the cooler early morning temps.

I received the combo pack that I got from Ebay the day before we left and I used the large size as a ground cover at the beach and the smaller size as blanket. In the evening we would sit on the beach with the large NS wrapped around us to block the wind coming off the ocean.

A NS also works great as a wind blocker. My wife and I used a box fan in our tent (Don't hate me. I still can't get her to sleep in a hammock). I could wrap the NS arond my feet and turn the fan on high and I could feel almost no air moving through the NS even though my feet were about 8" from the fan. This leads me to believe that this would work great as a summer top quilt or a summer under quilt with wind great blocking capabilities.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    camped out last night, it was quite warm, I didn't bring a quilt, but just a neat sheet. Slept without cover until maybe 4 a.m. when I awoke a little chilly. Tossed that neat sheet over me...nice! It feels soft to the touch, and was just exactly what I needed to get me through to sunrise. Low last night was in the high 60's I think.

So coming back home I searched around because I knew there was a thread on the neat sheet---that's why I bought it!---and found this article. Great idea, I'll be making an UQ / weather shield of it.

Grizz

Headchange, Do you mean just this thin Neat Sheet will keep one warm as a UQ down to 50-60F? Nothing else?
    Anyone know what Neat Sheet is called in Europe/UK?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It would get me to 60*F easy, maybe 50* if I add some clothing. Your results may vary.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Bought 4 packs of Neat sheet at Price Chopper last fall during the end of season sale for $5 apiece. Plan to make a summer UQ out of this as shown here. Im also thinking of making another UQ that includes an IX layer and using the neat sheet to provide some loft (maybe nylon or 2nd neat sheet bottom?)

Any thoughts/ideas out there related to using neat sheet and something else to bring the temp range down a little lower than 60?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post

Any thoughts/ideas out there related to using neat sheet and something else to bring the temp range down a little lower than 60?

Some sort of vapor barrier ( plastic sheeting, space blanket, etc.) might do it.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts