Looks good to me.
Looks good to me.
Thanks for the great tutorial! I gave this a try after my thanksgiving splurge on amsteel and lash it (Thanks Redden Marine!).
My first one looks alright, although I'm not entirely sure I didn't damage some of the threads while splicing. The Lash It being so small is a bit more difficult than 7/64 amsteel blue. We'll see how my next one goes. I need to upgrade my splicing tool from a small paperclip to a longer wire.
Thanks again Opie, every time I come back to this post and make soft shackle prusiks!
Thank you Opie! Did my first set tonight. What a feeling of satisfaction to DIY something I can use in the pursuit of Hammock Coolness. You da' man!!
Here's a PowerPoint file of Opie's pictorial:
and a video:
Additionally Opie, you state that the stopper knot is the weak point, is the adjustable eye above the locked brummel also a potential weak point from what you've experienced or does that hold closed well under tension? My thinking is if the knot is the only weak point then what about lengthening the backsplice an inch or two and using a figure eight knot instead? A figure eight is not likely to work itself out even under extreme circumstances so I would think if amsteel was used that change would allow this to be used in place of a standard soft shackle for heavier applications. That is of course if I am not missing anything and there is no other weak point than the knot.
It would more than likely work fine. I would replace the simple knot shown in the first post with a barrel knot or blood knot. (same knot, different names. I have another pictorial on here somewhere showing how to tie it.) Taper the bury for the locked brummel as well. You may find that if you switch the type of stopper knot to one mentioned you will need to increase the length of the backsplice.
I think I hit the rest of your point in the first part. Ill pay better attention if you have any other questions.
EDIT: Heres the other type of stopper.