ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the great tutorial! I gave this a try after my thanksgiving splurge on amsteel and lash it (Thanks Redden Marine!).

My first one looks alright, although I'm not entirely sure I didn't damage some of the threads while splicing. The Lash It being so small is a bit more difficult than 7/64 amsteel blue. We'll see how my next one goes. I need to upgrade my splicing tool from a small paperclip to a longer wire.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothian View Post
    The Lash It being so small is a bit more difficult than 7/64 amsteel blue. We'll see how my next one goes. I need to upgrade my splicing tool from a small paperclip to a longer wire.
    I have not used Lash It but find that a guitar "G" string works really well with dynaglide which I believe to be the same size or close to the lash it. For 7/64 amsteel my favorite splicing tool is normal house wire in stripped 14 guage solid copper.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Still a great reference when you haven't done one in a while.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Thanks again Opie, every time I come back to this post and make soft shackle prusiks!

David

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY g.e. 1.9
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Bag, foam or wool
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Thank you Opie! Did my first set tonight. What a feeling of satisfaction to DIY something I can use in the pursuit of Hammock Coolness. You da' man!!

Hammock
    only hammock: Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra-sil
    Insulation
    research in prog
    Suspension
    poly straps/whoops

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex mod
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopieslings

No excuses...

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    No thanks needed folks... I really do enjoy offering these instructions. If they can help someone out then thats all the thanks I need.
    WOW! GREAT tutorial!
    Once again, I'm amazed at how if you have an internet connection, a basic PC (or a Mac--if you're enlightened : ), a little time, and desire; you can learn how to make just about ANYTHING these days.

And it's all thanks to folks like Opie!
    THANK YOU!

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I should mention that these are not to be used to your suspension. EVEN if you make them from Amsteel. The stopper knot will not hold you up.

These are merely for tarp lines and guy lines. Or small utility biners that dont weigh anything.
    Just for the sake of discussion, what about using one of these in place of a standard soft shackle to make a hammock ridgeline detachable? Even a structural ridgeline is usually not taking the full force of the hanging weight provided a proper hang angle is used so I'm thinking it would be okay. My reasoning for wanting to do so is because these use far less line than a comparable size soft shackle/nacrabiner.

Additionally Opie, you state that the stopper knot is the weak point, is the adjustable eye above the locked brummel also a potential weak point from what you've experienced or does that hold closed well under tension? My thinking is if the knot is the only weak point then what about lengthening the backsplice an inch or two and using a figure eight knot instead? A figure eight is not likely to work itself out even under extreme circumstances so I would think if amsteel was used that change would allow this to be used in place of a standard soft shackle for heavier applications. That is of course if I am not missing anything and there is no other weak point than the knot.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Just for the sake of discussion, what about using one of these in place of a standard soft shackle to make a hammock ridgeline detachable? Even a structural ridgeline is usually not taking the full force of the hanging weight provided a proper hang angle is used so I'm thinking it would be okay. My reasoning for wanting to do so is because these use far less line than a comparable size soft shackle/nacrabiner.
    Sorry for such a late reply. I certainly don't get around here much since Stu took over. But Ill give your questions a shot.

It would more than likely work fine. I would replace the simple knot shown in the first post with a barrel knot or blood knot. (same knot, different names. I have another pictorial on here somewhere showing how to tie it.) Taper the bury for the locked brummel as well. You may find that if you switch the type of stopper knot to one mentioned you will need to increase the length of the backsplice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Additionally Opie, you state that the stopper knot is the weak point, is the adjustable eye above the locked brummel also a potential weak point from what you've experienced or does that hold closed well under tension? My thinking is if the knot is the only weak point then what about lengthening the backsplice an inch or two and using a figure eight knot instead? A figure eight is not likely to work itself out even under extreme circumstances so I would think if amsteel was used that change would allow this to be used in place of a standard soft shackle for heavier applications. That is of course if I am not missing anything and there is no other weak point than the knot.
    Weak point is going to be the knot. The eye should be just as strong as the rating of whatever line you are using. The brummel itself carries a far bit of the load which is why the bury doesnt need to be as long as a normal eye.

I think I hit the rest of your point in the first part. Ill pay better attention if you have any other questions.

EDIT: Heres the other type of stopper.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=18996

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast