Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images

Backpack volume taken up by tent vs. hammock

I'm talking averages here guys. I understand types of tents and hammocks vary.

I was just wondering what you guys 'generally' tend to think. Oh, I'm bringing my hammock so I need more space in my backpack or less.

I'm sure there are side benefits/caveats not easily seen until you make the switch.

Just FYI: I've got a BA Copper Spur UL2. I plan on getting a WB double 1.7.

thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Been so long since I packed a tent into one of my packs, I honestly don't know. However, my money is on the hammocks taking less volume if for no other reason than no tent poles to mess with on most hammocks.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Generally speaking, my hammock gear is about the same volume.

The last tent I used before starting to hammock camp full time was an Hilleberg Akto. Itself, the packed tent was larger than a typical hammock body. But you have to consider the whole set of gear..insulation, tarp, etc. for both the hammock and the tent. With a hammock it might be the hammock, top quilt, underquilt, and tarp...where with the tent it would be tent, ground cloth, pad, bag.

You can certainly minimize the volume with either a ground or hammock setup by choosing particular pieces of gear, but on balance I'd say the pack volume is similar.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    8x10 from WM
    Insulation
    We'll see
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopie
    Having recently started hammock camping I can say that there isn't much difference in volume. Just different stuff. My tents were pretty small.
    ~KEN~

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I used to carry my tent on the outside of my pack. So with the hammock stuff in the pack, in seems as if I have less room inside now.

When using my Golite Jam2 I can get everything in it when using a tent. When I use the hammock, tarp, quilts, etc it takes up more room.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My standard tent volume (SMD Lunar Duo) is substantially larger in volume than the WBBB 1.1 dbl layer + OES MacCat Dlx (in SpinnUL). My WBBB goes in an outside side pack pocket of my ULA Circuit (or GG Gorilla), while the tarp goes in the "front" mesh pocket. The tent is sufficiently bulky so that it doesn't fit either space well and usually (well, formerly!!) used to be packed inside the pack or on top.

Having my hammock setup in two bundles is more flexible and consumes (eyeball estimate) about 25% less total volume than the tent.

I consider the UQ and EVA foot "pad" to be breakeven with a NeoAir Large...and my sleeping bag is a constant. I have a summer-weight TQ on order from Stormcrow (GO ADAM!!) that will make the total weight and volume a bit less than my current sleeping bag choices.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    I used to carry my tent on the outside of my pack. So with the hammock stuff in the pack, in seems as if I have less room inside now.
    Just a little clarification; I would rather pack my entire pack full of hammock stuff than sleep on the ground again.

Hammock
    eno, hennessy hammock
    Insulation
    therm-a-rest pad
    its way less for me i dont have an uq just mat and im glad to be free from those darn poles
    my hennessy compresses nicely in my bag compared to my tent. the only thing i do miss is beinging able to sleep with my pack next to me

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My hammock system takes up WAY less volume and bulk than my tent.

My tent was a Coleman TYL X2, which isn't too bad for a backpacking tent, if you can split up the tent among two people. It's a "backpacking" tent, but it takes up a lot of room. And heavy. I haven't carried that thing in years. YEEHAA!

My hammock (either the Nano 7 or Grand Trunk Ultralight) packs so small, it practically disappears in my pack. I've been able to go to much smaller volume packs since switching to hammocks. My first packs were 65L and now I can barely fill up a 30L pack. This isn't just due to the hammock, of course, but it plays a big part. My MacCat tarp also packs down amazingly small.

Hammocks come in a variety of sizes, so I'm sure answers will be all over the board here. To be fair, I'm an ultraligher, so all my gear is minimal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast