Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not Interested

7 17.95%
  • standard silnylon tarp designs.

7 17.95%
  • custom tarp designs.

5 12.82%
  • ultralight tarps with newfangled fabrics.

20 51.28%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm with NCP, "newfangled" is just a fun word and it get's my vote.
    That, and I need an excuse to get a Cuben tarp. I'm tired of being left out of the loop.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by catsnack View Post
    Ok, so instead of simply trying to create one tarp to replace the awesome Winter Dream tarp... I am considering creating a few of my own designs to create and sell online. Last week after my "Winter Dream" post in this DIY section, I went home and drew from scratch what I envisioned a full-size tarp with doors would look like. I was quite surprised to see the close resemblance to the pattern used by sclittlefield. Great minds think alike? Or maybe minds assigned the same task think alike...

Anyways, I am strongly considering setting up shop in my spare bedroom making about 3 or 4 different patterns to offer for sale. I suppose I could do a little custom work if there was a certain shape or feature that somebody wanted. How much interest is there in purchasing hand-made tarps, and what price do you see as 'reasonable' to pay for one (obviously a minimalistic 8x8 tarp would be cheaper than a fully enclosed 11x10, so maybe put what price is reasonable for a certain size?) ? If I became established making tarps, I could then begin work on a hammock and a couple quilts just to be able to offer the "whole package" to anybody who wanted it.

Please respond to the poll as well as posting any ideas or recommendations that you would like to see. There is a good chance that some of you may be my future customers, so tell me what you look for in a good tarp and there is a good chance you will see it for sale in the near future! I can't wait to hear back from all of you and get started on this!
    you know...i'v talked about opening up a gear shop as well...one thing that stops me from doing so is not have an Original product to offer....

i'm all about new options for gear...but if your tarp is alot like sclittlefield
    i wouldn't call that an original product...sounds to me more like clone
    don't get me wrong i clone gear myself...but not to sell

if you really look at alot of the tarps out there...all of them have something that sets them apart from the rest ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    The cuben tarps I sawee at the RRG hang looked really nice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    you know...i'v talked about opening up a gear shop as well...
    Ask the small vendors here how much fun it is to run a niche gear shop. Heck, I can't even get Brandon to go goof-off because he's busy 24/7. If there was a bundle of money in it, maybe. But, I don't think any of these guys are getting rich and they surely don't have as much time to hike/paddle/whatever as I bet they wished they did. I'd rather contribute to their benefit and hike more.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Ask the small vendors here how much fun it is to run a niche gear shop. Heck, I can't even get Brandon to go goof-off because he's busy 24/7. If there was a bundle of money in it, maybe. But, I don't think any of these guys are getting rich and they surely don't have as much time to hike/paddle/whatever as I bet they wished they did. I'd rather contribute to their benefit and hike more.
    I'd be doing it for he love Bro....all about the Love
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I would love to trade my money for another member's tarp, but the problem lies in my lack of money! I can't even get a job at wal-mart scrubbing toilets, or at mcdonalds at the drive-thru. Or on an assembly line, or as a dishwasher, or road worker, or carpenter, yardwork, quality control, janitor, census worker, mail delivery, you name it! I was going to open up a bike shop in my town, but some old guy beat me to it. I would like to open up an outdoor gear shop with a section set aside for my own gear, but I need to start somewhere in order to get there. I think my ability to quickly solve design issues and a focus on ease of use will serve me well, though. Just since starting this thread, I have created a rough draft for a quilt I could make... I dunno, I try to be optimistic, and creating and testing camping gear is something I already do for fun (stoves and cook sets), so why not pay the bills with it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not trying to discourage you, or anybody. My girlfriend and I thought about it long and hard for about a year. Thankfully, mercifully, Paul at AHE beat us to it. We were about to go ahead and push the button when Paul made his announcement. Since the business models were very similar, we decided against it. In hindsight, I think my girlfriend and I are very happy about the way it worked-out. It really is a lot of work and customers, in general and worldwide, are a finicky lot. Plus, the time constraints just to top it off.

I think it's a marvelous idea to put your talent to work for you and folks love quality work regardless of any label. Just don't believe the illusion because it's a lot of work for not much in return. Of course, anything done for love is worth everything in and of itself. It just better be true love.

The more options, the more better!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Is Scott not producing the Winter Dream and other tarps anymore?

Guess I feel a little uncomfortable voting for you to produce what could be a competing product, especially since you say that your design is very much like Scott's.
    From what I understand, he is for whatever reasons unable to produce tarps at this time. It sounds as though he will be back up and running by winter. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me!
    Appreciate that very much Knotty, and others.

To clarify - I am not currently able to build tarps, but Backwoods Daydreamer Gear is certainly not done (I've done lots of R&D during this time, and have some exciting new things to share in the future). I do apologize for the long delay - believe me, it's been as frustrating for me as it has for you. I've stopped giving ETA's, because I've had a couple things fall through that would have had me up and running by now, so I want to wait until I'm already going before announcing again.

I suppose any of the '4-season' tarps on the market would be competition for Scott's Winter Dream style. I noticed a few tarp accessories mentioned in the forums that offer him competition as well, like GrizBeaks. I only made one tarp that could safely be called 4-season, and the rest of the designs are farily typical shapes and whatnot. I have also come up with a few cool features to make small tarps more practical for those that are used to larger, full-coverage rigs.

I would never ever directly copy anybody's work, and I certainly don't aim to hurt anybody else's business. The 'tarp market' seems to be big right now, so I doubt that anything I do in the near future would create much competition.

I appreciate your concern for fellow forum members and friends, and I wish all of you the best!

Tyler
    I also appreciate that Tyler.

Maneuvering the "don't copy someone's work" line is a difficult line to walk properly. Let's be honest, for basic tarps, they're all going to be more or less the same. Same with stuff sacks. Pack Covers. Pack liners. Sleeping bags... Even Hammocks - how many "ENO" style hammock companies are out there? There are certain basic design issues that have to be similar for them to function.

Now, don't misunderstand. We all have a unique approach to gear, and will have unique items that shouldn't be copied for marketing, both out of respect and integrity. And there is a lot of room for innovation on all those products I mentioned. I look forward to seeing what you have in mind Tyler.

Grizzbeaks and WB Doors are competition for the Winter Dream's function - but not it's design or style. That's a distinction I would make, what's unique on the WD is that the outside edges are longer than the ridgeline. The "patent pending" wording would be a bit different than that, but it gives the general idea.

I especially look forward to your idea of giving smaller tarps better function. I think you'll hit a good market there.

Feel free to toss me an email anytime to talk shop if you have any questions ([email protected]). I'd be glad to give any advice I can. Welcome to the club.

And as for Cuben - don't forget Mountainfitter. He's a member here and is making Cuben tarps currently.

Be well all - and go enjoy the woods!
    - Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I say if you have the talent and the ability go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I would advise going slow at first and test the waters if you will. By that I mean make a representative example of each of your offerings. Post pictures of them on the forum to get some feedback. Then assuming you get favorable feedback offer them for sale. Perhaps just on or two at a time. I would echo what others have already said about creating your own designs. For the most part we are about talking cottage industries here. So there is in all likely hood no patent infringement issues. But for the sake of good ole common courtesy. Try not to copy or clone someone else's existing product. With the current offerings out there it would be pretty tough to design a tarp that does not resemble somebody else's. Your uniqueness could be something as simple as ridge line attachment locations, number / locations of tie outs, sewn on side tie outs, door attachment methods, possibly a light weight clear plastic or mylar side window or other such ideas as these. Get busy, get creative and get to thread injecting. As far a pricing goes that is a very tough subject. You need to consider your material costs, your labor and set what you consider to be a fair price. People are willing to pay for quality, but the price needs to be completive with what is already on the market. Reputation is everything and it takes a while to build a reputation. A quality product with good customer service and communications. Go a long way towards building that reputation. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Poppabear; 06-15-2010 at 15:38. Reason: I was a little slow typing Scot already cover the unique products and patent issues.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the support! What you outlined in your post basically mirrors my 'business plan.' Make a few samples, take pics and videos, post on various forums for feedback, and go from there. I would love to have at least a few for sale by Fall this year, even if just to pay for missed work to go on some extended trips!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast