Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not Interested

7 17.95%
  • standard silnylon tarp designs.

7 17.95%
  • custom tarp designs.

5 12.82%
  • ultralight tarps with newfangled fabrics.

20 51.28%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Go for it! I for one will being watching for your progress.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I think one of you tarp-makers needs to take the next step in development of the ideas behind MrsMustardman's asym winter tarp:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=asymmetrical

I think the general idea has a lot of promise - to make a tarp that's roomier on one side than the other, since many hammocks, like the Warbonnet, have one side where you enter and need space, and the other side can be much closer to the hammock.

I promise we'll license the design idea to you for a very reasonable rate, or at least one of the first prototypes

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I think one of you tarp-makers needs to take the next step in development of the ideas behind MrsMustardman's asym winter tarp:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=asymmetrical

I think the general idea has a lot of promise - to make a tarp that's roomier on one side than the other, since many hammocks, like the Warbonnet, have one side where you enter and need space, and the other side can be much closer to the hammock.

I promise we'll license the design idea to you for a very reasonable rate, or at least one of the first prototypes
    That really is a great idea! I have never seen an asym tarp for sale before- I actually inquired about it in a different thread a few weeks back, but nobody could point to one. Unfortunately I didn't find the thread you linked here- can't see the pics on my computer for some reason, though. There are symmetrical tarps that can be set up that way (close full coverage on one side and open and roomy on the other, but they are typically larger tarps. Since nobody could show me a picture of one, I drew up plans for my own! Once I get the initial money to buy some materials to begin making these things, I'll post some pics and you can let me know if it is what you imagined or not. Trying to sell my extra car right now to get the couple hundred bucks I need to order fabrics. Keep watching for updates over the next couple months, and thanks for the input!
    Last edited by TDFbound; 06-15-2010 at 16:59. Reason: slacking off

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Thankfully, mercifully, Paul at AHE beat us to it. We were about to go ahead and push the button when Paul made his announcement. Since the business models were very similar, we decided against it.
    Gee Cannibal I am not sure whether to say sorry or thanks or something else entirely

But He is right it is a lot of work to run a little shop, more hours than any other job I have ever had. Lots of fun to play with gear but hard for it to not all be your own Really hard to have lots to do and walk out the door to the shop and see the sun shinning and a light breeze blowing and have to go in side to work. Spring has been hard. Winter I did not care but this spring having no time to hike and having to go inside and make gear when I want to go on even just a day hike instead has been a challenge to stay motivated.

But don't fool your self into thinking this is a get rich thing, we have been at this almost a year and are just starting to "pay the bills." Most of the time any way It's not easy starting from scratch, and a lot of the specialty fabrics (especially Cuben) are very expensive, very expensive if you goof.

And not stepping on other guys toes is very hard with such a small very focused market. I really wanted to make a little doodad that is out here in the HF market, found a manufacture that would make them for a very small fraction of the selling price, drooling at hundreds of percent markup if I stayed where they were priced or even lower the price and sell that many more. But it was someone else's idea and they wanted to run with it so I let it go. Not bumping into other guys products is very hard and the line can be very grey on a lot of stuff like Scott said it is hard to have a basic hammock tarp and not be like all the others. It is a fine line. Good luck if you try.

Just my
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My query is .... have you made a tarp yet??????

Might be puttin' your socks on over your boots.

In no way am I trying to dissuade you or anyone fro making a good design.
    I have made a few tarps myself and they aren't the easiest of DIY projects.
    Got a design for a concept in my head ..... but I will just make me one.

Looking forward to seeing a finished product that we all desire!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You might want to become a donating member first also.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Ill throw my 2 cents in the spitoon as well...

Scott is right, when it comes down to it the basic design and purpose is going to be the same. What should set you apart is your quality and customer service. Its certainly hard to beat either of those with the current members that have small business here on HF.

But the beauty of capitalism is that door is open to anyone willing to step through it. Sure youll step on some toes at some point... I think we all have whether we admit it or not, intentional or not. Its bound to happen.

Build a good product, be honest with your customers and accept the fact early on that it is a huge time committment. I never thought Id be where Im at right now. I was counting on maybe a couple orders a day. When I first started out just making slings.. I could get 10 orders out a night. Now, with the range of products I offer, Im lucky to get 2 or 3 out. Unless its an order for 8 or more guylines, than that takes all night. So be prepared for the time committment and be honest up front with your customers about where you stand on getting orders out. One of my big pet peeves is lack of communication from the people I choose to give my money to. I may spend more time on here and in Email than I should.... but IMO Ill trade off not getting 1 more order out the door to keep the presence on the board and take the time to properly respond to emails.

Ill also second the Cuben thing.... Not many folks making cuben tarps right now.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    I like my Speer Winter Tarp. There are a few things I'd do to modify it in an attempt to make it perfect. The closest thing I've seen to perfection being offerred now is the Warbonnet Outdoors Superfly with doors, primarily because of the four side panel pullouts. Starting there:

• attach the doors permanently,

• provide a means by which to roll up the doors when not in use, or shock cord to clip to the door on the other end, to keep them out of the way and not flapping,

• provide two additional tieouts on the ends, 1/4 and 3/4 of the width of the tarp to allow repositioning the ridgeline should a 3/4-width upwind pitch be desired with a 1/4-width downwind awning (a la Cooke Custom Sewing's Tundra Tarp),

• three internal ridgeline hang tabs for suspending gear from the ceiling (a la Mountain Laurel Design's Grace Tarp),

• mesh pockets with velcro closures above each tieout for storing wrapped up guy lines, and

• Kelty TripTease guy lines with silicone tension adjusters.

Oh, and keep the weight no more than 16 oz with a quiet fabric.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You might want to become a donating member first also.
    Oh I certainly plan on it! Just buying gasoline for trips to town is breaking the bank at the moment, so unfortunately it will have to wait for a better day.

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    be prepared for the time committment and be honest up front with your customers about where you stand on getting orders out. One of my big pet peeves is lack of communication from the people I choose to give my money to.
    I'll second that. First the time commitment: After having been unemployed with $0 / month income, I am ready to have something to throw myself into. The only thing worse than working and wishing you had time to go hiking is having all the time in the world and not being able to afford the 20 mile drive to the trailhead! (Though I suppose I could make it a three day 50-miler?) And communication: I worked for a few years at an ever-growing privately owned bicycle shop. The owner and the customers taught me a LOT about how far good consistent communication can take you (as long as your communication involves honesty and a real care for the customer, not their money). I got many times more satisfaction from the happy faces coming back into the door every week for a small purchase than I did from the guys that dropped a couple grand one day and never came back.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast