Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing

Skeeter Beeter Pro with Guide Gear Tarp

Hey All,

I have a skeeter Beeter Pro with a Guide Gear 12x12 tarp. Since the tarp is so big I was wondering if anyone has any experience hanging this type of system. I have the regular rope that the skeeter beeter came with to wrap around the tree but I am thinking of getting some form of webbing. The tarp will have to be hung as a diamond as I don't know if I trust my self to add the webbing to the middle.

Thanks!!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To hang that 12x12 tarp on the diagonal is going to require trees that are almost 17' apart. It might be easier to find someone to sew on the additional tie outs at the midpoints of 2 opposite sides to hang in the A frame configuration.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing

just a few edits

Ok, So i just realized I am very confused. I have hung in this hammock minus the tarp by just using the "para cord" that comes with the hammock. It works well but I think i am going to add the webbing as I mentioned above.

I have been reading a lot of the articles and am thinking of adding a ridge line to this hammock. Where are the best places to get cordage? I was reading this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650 on how to set up the tarp and dont know what type of cord to get and how long it should be on average.

In terms of the ridgeline...can anyone recommend the best beginner set up? that is the most confusing part.

Thanks again

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    I used amsteel blue and made a whoopie ridge to give myself about 18" of play in my ridgeline length. I probably only needed about 12", but I have found that I like to adjust the lay of the hammock. Plus, the ridgeline is structural, so it takes tension and weight -- I've found that I rest easier knowing i'm being held by rope rated to 1500lbs on all of my weight-bearing lines.

for what it is worth -- the structural ridgeline makes all the difference in the world... I probably couldn't be a 'hanger' if I didn't have one. ... just my $0.02

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    g0bez,

If I were to use blue amsteel as a ridgeline would I be able to just tie a Taut Line knot?

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    Quote Originally Posted by avi View Post
    g0bez,

If I were to use blue amsteel as a ridgeline would I be able to just tie a Taut Line knot?
    I'll let g0bez answer for himself, but I just want to throw in my 2 cents. Make sure it's Amsteel Blue, which is the actual market name of the product. It comes in a multitude of colors (i.e. blue, silver, black, red, etc.) Also, it's slippery so it doesn't hold a knot very well. It's better to splice it. There are a few good topics on here and a few good videos on You Tube. My suggestion is to go to Walmart and get the "children's needles" about $1.50 for a pack of 4. Don't use anything with a sharp edge because it'll snag the amsteel and make it impossible to pull the bury through.
    ~We all start at the bottom~

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Simple solution without having to modify the tarp:
    1. Get some 550 cord or mason line (I used reflective climbing cordage).
    2. Tie 10' of cord on each corner.
    3. Tie 10' of cord on two tie-outs opposite of each other on the rectangular sides.
    4. Tie the two side tie outs to the trees
    5. Stake out the corners (you can use hiking poles or sticks on the longer side to increase the porchability of your set-up).
    6. Add additional tie-outs or guylines as necessary.

Photo 1: Back Side

Photo 2: Porch Side

Simple and effective without having to figure out the ridgeline, prusiks, trucker's hitch, etc...

Good luck, HYOH and YMMV.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    avi:
    Since you have decided to hang the tarp on the diamond and your span will be atleast 17" between trees, actually its closer to 20', I recommend some of the braided mason line that can be picked up at Home Depot, etc....or some of the cheaper knock off paracord that can be picked up at Wallyworld. You could make a Continuous Ridgeline and prussick the tarp to the ridgeline. Take a look at Shug's 10 part video documentary for Newbies, it is well worth the time!!!!!!!!!

If you are going to replace the suspension on the SB then I recommend that you look at the Cinch Buckles and webbing from Arrowhead Equipment. I have these on two of my hammocks and will be placing them on all hammocks from here on out. I recommend getting the CB's with the long amsteel chain link since you are planning on a ridgeline. I placed these on a ENO DN and clove hitched a set of descender rings(from AHE) to make some mointing points for my ridge line. They have worked great, will post pictures when I get home later this evening. Oh, by the way, you can also order your amsteel from AHE as well!!!!!!!!!! I hope Paul gives me a discount on my next order for all of the PR work I am doing for him!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by bigbamaguy; 06-16-2010 at 15:03. Reason: other thoughts added
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    we will talk Bigbama.

Been chatting by email with avi most of the morning, think we have some ideas on what will work for tarp and suspension.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I have the SBPRo, I too use the suspension cord that came with it. Instead of wrapping the rope around the tree I made a tree hugger and I use a marlin spike hitch to hang from. I have tried to use rings and straps and just couldn't get comfortable laying in the hammock that way, now I sleep very well.
    As far as the tarp, that is a big tarp I would probably try to set it up in the way Bdpalace suggested.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast