CCF Pockets Sewn In

I have an SPE made with a neatsheet and CCF. It weighs 2.5 lbs on my digital scale. If I go with the pad alone it’s only about a pound. I’d like to drop the excess weight for an upcoming three-day hike. I’m thinking about sewing pockets in the bottom of the hammock (with ripstop) to hold the pads in place since I squirm a lot at night. Would the stitching (Gutermann’s polyester) weaken the ripstop, strengthen it with the additional stitching or have no effect? Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have heard people here voice concerns about weakening the ripstop by introducing thread-holes by sewing. (I don't know who it was, but some concern was expressed). I think the general feeling was not to sew into the body of the ripstop, but rather sew from the edges.

My .02, HTH.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

im looking at getting a spe....but im shocked at the weight! why does your spe/pad weigh so much? whats it made of?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd minimize sewing into the body of the hammock. That said, I have an insulated hammock with sewing in the body and haven't had a problem with it. But there are only four lines of stitching - two long lines near the long edges of the hammock, and two short lines perpendicular to the hammock - which form a rectangle.

Seems that making pockets to hold the pads where you'll be sleeping on them would introduce sharp corners right where you're putting the weight...not good, IMO.

I would stick with a standard SPE or add a whole separate layer to make a two-layer hammock. Just my opinion....only one way to find out, though! (I'd suggest a thick pad on the ground for your first few tests.... )
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts