Question HH Hyperlite ok for (just) over six foot dude?

Greetings all, I'm an AT section hiker and a bit of a gear nut. I've always had trouble sleeping well on the ground/ in a shelter, so I thought I'd give the hammock world a shot.

Anyway, after a good bit of research I settled on the HH Hyperlite (mostly for the weight) but my only worry now is that at 6' 1" 170lbs, I'm not going to fit comfortably. Anyone out there have related experience or feedback on this particular hammock?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Kind of depends. Some folks 6' plus can get comfortable in them, some can't. I'm one of the later. The Hyperlites are the same length as the Expeditions. I can sleep in an Expedition, but at 6' I'm much, much more comfortable in the Explorer models. If you want to test it, buy it at REI so that you can return it if needed.

The fabric on the Hyperlites really is nice though.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would do everyting you could to try one before you buy or get it like cannibal said someplace you can return if it does not work out for you. I picked up a Ultra Lite Backpacker last year as I just did not have the $ for the Hyperlite. I (at only 5'7" could not get comfortable in the HH for anything. Tried for well over a month and while it would feel good for a little while after a hour or so I would start feeling cramped, and sore. Everyone is different though and it would be best to test if you can before committing to a major trip with it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

I have the Hyperlite and "LOVE" it, I'm 5'7" though, the Backpacker is only 5oz more (per the HH site) but this also includes everything (including the tarp) so if you were to strip it down upgrade the suspension to whoopies, and add a different tarp (spin) you will still be very light! I would take a closer look at the spec's prior to purchase (unless you go the REI route) as per the HH site both the backpacker and the Hyperlite are of the same dimensions the only difference is the type of material used!
    If you do the REi route like Cannibal mentioned if it doesn't fit right and is uncomfortable you can return it and explore other item's of interest, another HH, or a WBBB!?!?!

I'm 5'8"/170. I have two hyperlites (one netless). They SAG. Backpacker UL gives a better lay, Expedition better yet. 6 footer, no way. Get an Explorer, or a Warbonnet.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am 6ft 2in, and large framed. While I could sleep in the Expedition (same size as the model you are looking at), I did feel kind of cramped. Better than sleeping in a tent, but the diagonal was just barely long enough for me. This weekend I am trying out the Explorer with side zip. This ought to do the trick for me.

thanks for the feedback! we'll see how the test run goes.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, used the Explorer for 5 nights. Awesome. I felt much more comfortable than in the Expedition. I should have shelled out the extra cash before hand.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Standard HH
    I'm with Oxblood. Hi everyone, I'm new to hammock camping and just bought a HH expedition. My first trip out was to the High Peak region of the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY, in a typical summer rain storm. The hammock performed well, went with the figure 9 carabiners which helped in the set-up. The ground was saturated and if I had a tent, it would have been a miserable time.
    I too found it a little cramped, (6' 175lbs) especially when I had to put my sleeping pad (big agnes insulated air core 20X72) in for insulation when a cold front came through and the temperature dropped to 40*, plus the sleeping bag. I'm thinking now that a little more room would have been nice.
    I am headed back out this weekend for another hang and one more night in my hammock. The weather looks better and maybe I'll have a chance to figure this out a little better.

Wayne

• + New Posts