Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: claustrophobia

claustrophobia

I hope that it's something that will just go away on its own. It's not severe enough that I'm ready to give up, but it's noticeable and uncomfortable.

Being very much a newbie, I'm wondering how common my problem is. Also any tips for dealing with it.

tnx in advance.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Sorry to hear that. What kind of hammock have you got? I could see where a Hennessy could give you more problems than a top loader.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Sorry to hear that. What kind of hammock have you got? I could see where a Hennessy could give you more problems than a top loader.
    It is a Hennesy, in fact. I love the hammock, but I would liked to have a choice of a little larger mesh bug net. I can barely tell that its breathing, and then only in a good breeze. I believe a fan is going to end up being required equipment.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Yes, for some it is a problem. I for one can not stand it when it is warm... If there is no breeze and I have the bug net zipped up, I tend to want the fresh air more than "no bugs" and unzipped it goes...
    I have not been to the point that it keeps me awake though. Just uncomfortable when it is hot.

I do not have a fan but I think that the fan would make a world of difference. I am looking into one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4D's View Post
    Yes, for some it is a problem. I for one can not stand it when it is warm... If there is no breeze and I have the bug net zipped up, I tend to want the fresh air more than "no bugs" and unzipped it goes...
    I have not been to the point that it keeps me awake though. Just uncomfortable when it is hot.

I do not have a fan but I think that the fan would make a world of difference. I am looking into one.
    You are describing the way that it affects me to a tee.

If you run into a fan (not literally) that works, please share the knowledge. All of my research keeps ending up with Coleman, so far. Just don't know which model.

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Fortunately for me, I have not been where the bugs were so bad that throwing open the bug net for a while has not made me happy...After it cools off some then I zip it back up and all is well.. mine is a top loader though. The fan may be your only saving grace.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    frog... i really enjoy the open feel of a top loader. unless the bugs are really bad, i don't even want a bug net.
    i've been fortunate so far in the places i hang, but i know that's just not always the case.
    a speer type hammock w/ velcro & a DIY bug net that's larger than the standard, allowing it to be pulled open by elastic cord would give you a large interior.

and here's a thread on hammock fans...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=hammock+fan
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    frog... i really enjoy the open feel of a top loader. unless the bugs are really bad, i don't even want a bug net.
    i've been fortunate so far in the places i hang, but i know that's just not always the case.
    a speer type hammock w/ velcro & a DIY bug net that's larger than the standard, allowing it to be pulled open by elastic cord would give you a large interior.

and here's a thread on hammock fans...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=hammock+fan
    I'll sure keep your suggestion in mind, Slowhike. I ordered the HH based on what little research I did on the web. It makes for a good starting pont, anyway.

Frog,

Just a word of encouragement. I too felt a bit claustrophobic in my HH when I first got it. Mostly due to having difficulty moving around and getting situated in it. After spending several nights in mine I began to learn how to move around better and felt more comfortable in the hammock. Now I don't get that clausrophobic near panic feeling anymore.

Images
    While you are trying to get used to the HH, are you ( weather permitting of course) either leaving the tarp off or adjusting it so that it is pretty wide open, not very close to the sides of the hammock? That might make it a bit easier to get used to.

It doesn't bother me from a claustrophobia stand point, but I sure would like to get rid of the netting, or rather- make it removable. That is the only feature that I don't prefer over my Speer. I'm kind of afraid to fool with it though, since I read here that some feel the netting and its reinforced connections to the hammock have something to do with the asym lay and feel of this hammock. If so, maybe that's why TH does not provide an extra cost option of a zippered or velcroed netting. It's never made sense to me that he doesn't offer this at least as an option, since I think a lot of his customers would like the net/no net option, and ability to use as a top loader if desired.

But I sure hope I can come up with a net removable system, because after being close to a switch, I'm still overall leaning towards the HH. Unless I use what seems a ridiculous amount of sag with my Speer, the shoulder squeeze and seat/lounge discomfort in my legs is always much less in the HH. Maybe when I get my Speer ridgeline adjusted right and stick with that I'll change my mind. But without the structural ridgeline, it just takes too much adjustment to get the sag right, and the amount of sag is requiring me to hang the straps WAY high in the trees. And with a lot of sag by way of a ridgeline, the Speer netting will not fit over the ridgeline and attach to the velcro. The bridge is too far from the hammock edge, due to a lot of sag. All of which is a lot of hassle. But without way more sag than is shown in the Speer pics, I get an uncomfortable pressure point under my thighs when I try to use as a chair, where the long top edge tries to dig in. Kind of like what people complain about with the ridgeline on the HH cutting into their neck during chair use. Which is no problem for me(with the HH) as long as I hang it loose. Then I enjoy the nice flat surface on my HH during chair use. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Speer? Hopefully?

Anyway, at the moment it seems it would just be easier to find a way of making my HH net removable, if there is such a thing that won't mess up the feel of the hammock? TeeDee PM'ed me some instructions for removing and replacing the netting, but I have apparently accidentally deleted that message, and TeDee is gone! Even if I had the courage to go for it and cut my net off.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-23-2007 at 21:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast