Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think that it would be good for hammockers of all sorts to focus as much on the skills and techniques of using their gear as they do on the gear itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Best post on HF ever!
    Pretty sure it became the first of the Commandments of Hammocking once everything settled out.

I tend to agree with AS, they are not a necessity. They are a wondrous luxury, but a luxury none the less. Sgt. Rock has a story about riding out a Tropical Depression with a stock HH fly, that's pretty serious rain and for days on end. I know that I've personally weathered some monster thunderstorms in Florida with nothing more than the stock HH fly. My MacCat Standard has also seen big storms and its coverage is slightly more than minimal. But, yeah using a small tarp requires that you use more than the gear you brought with ya to stay dry.

Still, hard to get rained on when you're under something like this.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    To some though (me included), the larger tarp is not considered a “luxury” when overall comfort is taken into consideration and I believe that it’s most probable that most hangers consider comfort a big part of the overall experience since we choose to be in a hammock to begin with. I'd like my site to be comfortable even if the rain should set in for a day or so, and a single small tarp that provides just enough coverage for me to be dry only if I'm lying in the hammock is not for me a comfortable site..
    'Overall comfort' is a relative term that supposes you don't reconcile yourself or your gear to the situation at hand. With a smaller tarp, you can always quickly stow or roll your hammock up and out of the way...and enjoy the dry space that it occupied. This does require a little more personal adaptability...which was my point.

My apology for the hijack, Alphahawk. Whichever tarp you choose, spend time learning to pitch it properly and you'll stay dry!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    'Overall comfort' is a relative term that supposes you don't reconcile yourself or your gear to the situation at hand. With a smaller tarp, you can always quickly stow or roll your hammock up and out of the way...and enjoy the dry space that it occupied. This does require a little more personal adaptability...which was my point.

My apology for the hijack, Alphahawk. Whichever tarp you choose, spend time learning to pitch it properly and you'll stay dry!

I agree with your point, though I think you may be missing mine. I digress.

My apologies for the hijack also, Alphahawk.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    I agree with your point, though I think you may be missing mine. I digress. .
    I didn't miss it, I just don't agree.

I can indeed have overall comfort using a small tarp for a multi-day rain scenario. I've done so happily, and didn't desire more coverage.

HYOH
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thanks!

Well I see I have come to the right place for ideas about camping with a hammock. It is all very much appreciated. I purchased the Kelty Noah 12x12. Read some good, some bad...but this is going to be trial and error for me for a while. That is what is good about buying from REI..no matter what you can take it back.
    I took the advice of those who advised not to purchase the ENO fly. I am car camping and weight is not a concern to me. I can take the cold...heat...spent 21 years working in Saudi.....but to me there is nothing worse than being wet and chilled. If this works out to my liking I will be seeking advice...but will read first...about doing this in cold weather. Fishing is a passion to me and up until a few years ago I had a truck and tent camped. But I am almost 60 and knees are shot and it is no fun getting up off the ground at sunrise. Seems to me it would be much nicer to step out of bed. I really knew nothing about hammock camping until my great nephew educated me. This setup will pay for self in about one week. I have been putting 1000 miles a week on my car the last 2 years fishing and returning home each night. For those not familiar with TN weather we have some nasty pop-up thunderstorms in the summer. Since April they have been a constant everyday and show no signs of letting up. All components should be in by Friday and will try several practice setups and maybe post some pics. Once again thanks for the great ideas.

Regards

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Alphahawk,

I'm sure you'll get your setup to your liking... (eventually?) . For a lot of us, it seems to be a constant work in process.

Let us know how it goes for you.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well Alphahawk ... like the name by the way ... sounds like you're on the way with a great set up especially for car camping. I love my 9x12 Equinox. One thing I might suggest is getting hold of some of the GRIP CLIPS. They really make it easy to rig a tie out when you need one ... and work really well.

Hope to read some trip reports and tall fishing tales from ya!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Well Alphahawk ... like the name by the way ... sounds like you're on the way with a great set up especially for car camping. I love my 9x12 Equinox. One thing I might suggest is getting hold of some of the GRIP CLIPS. They really make it easy to rig a tie out when you need one ... and work really well.

Hope to read some trip reports and tall fishing tales from ya!
    I have plenty of the fish tales..LOL. I can use all the tips I can get..thanks. I am starting to get into this and haven't even had my first hang yet. I was scouting out the primitive campsite at Edgar Evin's State Park at Center Hill Lake and Caney Fork River. I found some great sites for a hammock camp and then the ranger hit me with some rules. I was wondering if any of you had run into this before. If I should be asking this in another area someone speak up. Seems at their campground if it is not a tent....then you ain't camping. The ranger had never heard of hammock camping and when I explained it to him he said nothing on the trees. I asked him did he allow tent campers to hang a clothes line and he replied "Yes". I told him that I would not damage a tree in any way and he could probably not tell I had even been there after I left. He told me I could set it up and he and the park manager would look at it and then decide. Anyone ever run into this type of situation?

Regards

Here is my Hennessy with the large rain fly set up that came with it. I spent 2 weeks hanging on the river bank.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I have plenty of the fish tales..LOL. I can use all the tips I can get..thanks. I am starting to get into this and haven't even had my first hang yet. I was scouting out the primitive campsite at Edgar Evin's State Park at Center Hill Lake and Caney Fork River. I found some great sites for a hammock camp and then the ranger hit me with some rules. I was wondering if any of you had run into this before. If I should be asking this in another area someone speak up. Seems at their campground if it is not a tent....then you ain't camping. The ranger had never heard of hammock camping and when I explained it to him he said nothing on the trees. I asked him did he allow tent campers to hang a clothes line and he replied "Yes". I told him that I would not damage a tree in any way and he could probably not tell I had even been there after I left. He told me I could set it up and he and the park manager would look at it and then decide. Anyone ever run into this type of situation?
    No, but as in all matters, an open mind is really all you can ask for. Go out there, and make the sale!

Edited to add: Let them try out your hammock, and give them the addy for HF...bring The Man into the fold!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast