Images

Tarp With Doors on the Ground / RayWay Tarptent

I'm starting to think about the next tarp. At the rate of free time I have it may take a couple months to make. But I am thinking back to my idea of having one tarp with works for multiple things. More of a multiuse guy than a gear collector. I already have a great hammock now I need a good tarp and tent for ground sleeping. I know aww tenter, see the light, move of the ground, yeah, yeah.

My thinking is that I can make a tarp similar to the Warbonnet (props to Brandon) or the Speer winter tarp (props to Ed). I want to make a bugnet interior similar to the Rayway tarptent (props to Ray). I could put a zipper down the side to use the bug netting with a hammock. With a pad for bottom insulation and my sleeping bag for top insulation the only added weight would be the hammock and supports. I can use my trekking poles to hold up the ends.

Has anyone used any one of these tarps on the ground or have any suggestions? No real original ideas, just taking a little from everyone else's.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With all those props, why don't you just fly to a hotel?

I used to have a tarptent with bug net around the edges and at the ends. A zipper closed it on one end, and it just laid on the ground all around. Never had it in the field but it looked like it would work fine on my backyard setups.

I can could see a way to connect the tarp's bugnet to the hammock to save some weight and still get protection, but I'd be careful in the design. The bugnet needs to start way back from the tarp's edge (which means another seam that needs to be sealed). You might be better off just taking the big tarp and a netted hammock. Put a small loop near the ends of the tarp to hang the hammock up as a bivy. More solid protection for the weight, IMO...the only drawback is that the entire interior isn't protected from bugs, and in NO that might be an issue for you!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Thanks for the input. Gives me a lot more to think about.

I like the idea of having everything seperate or close to it. Saves me from making 2 or 3 tarps. Doesn't bother me making more hammocks, lot less work than a tarp. Thinking with the large tarps I like I can make a netting bug enough for 2 plus gear and a lite solo setup. Switch out per trip.

Either way going to be a fun project.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts