HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip

Smile Northern Hang 2010

Wow, what a fantastic trip and a great bunch of guys (and one gal). After a threatening weather start Thursday night, the weather could not have been better. (60's at night, 80's during the day). The mosquitoes were minimal, and the ticks well behaved.

Thanks Snipen for the reconnaissance and logistical support to make this happen. I learned a lot from all of you, especially Lonetracker, who was like a walking natural field guide. It was nice riding up with Kayaknut.

OscarBlackeagle, I hope you and your friend made it out OK and are recovering well (that sure was a long drive up for you, and it was nice meeting both of you)

I only wish we could have hiked together for a few more days to get to know everyone a bit better. Looking forward to the next hang.

I have to go back to work now, but late tonight i hope to download some pics.

~bill
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for the report. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
    Terry

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's it! Come-on boys, give us the pics and details! Would like to have made the trip. Now I'd just be happy to live it through someone else's eyes.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

long no pics

i had a great time.i am not a people person,or a backpacker.i decided to go anyway to meet some of the people who make up this fine forum and see some hammock stuff in person. best decision i have made in a while.all the people i met on this journey were great and i would hike or camp with any of them again.special thanks to snipen for setting things up,and finding/scouting great places for us to camp and hike.thanks
    the trip started at porcupine lake on thursday evening.half of the hangers arrived for this first nights hang.there was a short 1/2 mile hike to the site that followed a quickly running rocky trout stream,before the turnoff and short hill to our hanging spot.this area was comprised of mature hemlock,birch and maple and overlooked porcupine lake.an extremely healthy wind was blowing this night cooling things down and keeping the skeeters away.tarp setup was a bit tricky because of the wind but between tying to trees and roots and a few extra stakes everyone was safely set up.darkness found us eagerly compareing hammock notes.the wind continued,along with a little rain.followed by an intermittant lightning storm to the west of us.before i knew it the nights corus of snores was interupted by the call of a loon and swinging me into day two of the hang.for this we met at perch lake campground.we soon had two great sites side by side picked out and were again hanging our hammocks.most of this day was spent talking hammock,and backpack.i looked around at most setups as these were the first hammocks i had ever seen besides my own.everyone was more then happy to show off their gear and answer my questions.allmost everyone who was arriveing did and we were soon shareing a delicious pot luck dinner around the fire pit.there was more than enough food.i certainly ate my share.talk of all things hammock continued on late into the night supported by the campfires warm glow.
    it seemed like just as my hammock and me were really getting comfy together we were forced to seperate so everything could be packed and cars could be moved to the end of the 11 mile( ?? )backpack route.i enjoyed the hike immensely.the terraine was mostly hard wooded,with large trees.i talked wild plants and fungass with anyone that was near me.we stoped for a few breaks and arrived at our hanging spot with plenty of time to set up and eat and get to know each other better.as has been the norm for the entire trip conversation flowed freely and laughter was never long from the ears.everyone seems like old friends allready.we were treated to a rare nature display of a woodpecker trying to stay busy doing his thing,being harassed by several beligerant hummingbirds that wanted a taste of the birch sap his pecked holes were releaseing.again i participated in some very rewarding campfire talk into late night.i am really glad i am here.even though we are camped in the woods i drift off to sleep serenaded by the long calls of distant loons.
    morning was punctuated by the loud howling of several coyotes,i was told,they did not penetrate my sleep.today,sunday,we lollygaged around camptill late morning as we only had a short hike to get to the parklot.it went by to fast.no one seemed to be the first one to go.we hung around awhile,and then a little longer when canoeski produced and cut up a watermelon for everyone.but soon it happened and hands were shook and seemingly inadequate goodbys were made as most had to head home.
    now there are just 5 of us left .we are determined to hike some more.the north country trail calls us a bit more west and we hike the 2.7 miles in to jenson creek (??)there are more pine here but it soon gives way to some mixed hardwood and a camping spot on a nice knob near a babbling brook.after soaking our feet in the cold water while listening to the creeks merry song we set up our hammocks for the last hang of the trip.the fire sparks more great conversation,but in to soon a time we are headed to hang.the final hike is led by head rush,hanging yankees 10 year old son who sailed thru this trip without complaint or worry.i drive away wanting more.
    thank you everyone.i had a genuinely good time and learned a bunch.i want to go again

bill

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    OK here's a link to the pics (too many to include all in the HF Album):
    http://picasaweb.google.com/canoeski...f0m_qvirOPnAE#

A few of the pics:

Last edited by canoeski; 06-22-2010 at 05:04.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    OK here's a link to the pics (too many to include all in the HF Album):
    http://picasaweb.google.com/canoeski...f0m_qvirOPnAE#
    Great pictures ... wish there was some discription to some of those ... looks like some good times! I especially liked seeing Shug doing a little stick training for a future juggler!

Thanks for sharing folks ... looking forward to seeing and reading more!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Now that's what we're talkin about. Nice report and pics. Looks like things went well and you all had a good time. I was concerned about the weather with what blew through the midwest over the weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    What little time I had with the group was a great experience. I arrived on Friday night after a 12 hour drive overnight, exhausted. I brought along my friend John.

When I arrived I met and conversed with most of the group, then set up my hammock and settled down to converse some more. Shug showed up about an hour after us and soon became the life of the evening with stories and anecdotes.

The potluck got under way and I was doing my best to stay awake, but I felt awful. I stayed up through the potluck and went to bed at 10:30pm. I awoke at 8:30am feeling rested. Soon we were all ready, cars moved and walking to the trail head.

The trail was easy going with gentle slopes and the most beautiful scenery I've laid eyes on yet. The wild flowers, the bright green foliage, the lakes...so beautiful.

As I made my way with the group, I gradually moved forward, leaving my friend John to take up the rear with some of the others. At 2 miles in I was starting to overheat from pushing myself too hard, so I stopped to take a rest and decided to go back and look for John. After a half hour of backtracking I couldn't find him, so I made the decision to press on alone. Along the way I met up with some of the group multiple times, but I was mostly alone.

At about 3/4 of the way through to halfway (4 miles or so) my initial push began to take its toll. My old ankle sprain began to complain and my feet began to ache. I pressed onward, my trekking poles leading the way.

Soon I reached the road crossing and sat down to rest a few minutes before taking on the next leg of the hike. Minutes later, Stairguy and his son PJ arrived with news that John was having difficulty carrying his pack through and that Fourdog had grabbed his pack and was behind them. It wasn't long before Fourdog came out of the woods with the pack over his shoulders (along with his own). I sat in amazement as he set down the pack, walked a few paces and laid down to enjoy a snack of hot sausage and cheese. I made the decision to stay behind and wait for John to arrive. Stairguy, PJ and Fourdog pressed on and would make arrangements with Snipen's wife to pick us up in a couple hours.

I waited for another half hour to forty five minutes and John finally appeared. He was in no shape to continue and since we rode together (I drove), I made the decision to end the trip and make our way to the car. I was feeling rather stiff myself and my right calf was starting to tighten up into a ball. I had doubts whether I could make it the rest of the way although I was willing to try, but it was a moot point since John was my main concern. We made the decision to walk the 5 miles to the car instead of sitting there for a couple hours. We began our walk. We had made it about a half a mile when we saw Snipen's wife drive by heading the opposite direction. Ten minutes later we heard a truck come up and slow behind us. It was her again, giving us a ride. We thanked her after arriving at the car and immediately settled in for the long 12 hour drive back home. I arrived home at 2pm Sunday with sore feet, regrets and a new sense of purpose.

Although I am sad I couldn't finish, I am glad to have met you all--a great bunch of people. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
    Proving to the world that I can hang.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Really nice to meet some HF members that I had never met face to face.
    Wonderful pot luck...... thankee to all!!!!!
    Glad Snipen put this on.... he has a terrific family with hard to say names.
    WalkingBear had his awesome .... yeah, awesome slaw!!!!!!!
    Canoeski ..... thankee for the morn' flapjacks and thankee to Headrush for running them over. Boy do canoe folk eat good!
    The fish that Lonetracker caught and cooked was fantastic. The Taco pockets cooked in a pie iron by Hangin' Yankee made me weep. Savage and Theresa made red velvet cupcakes with butter cream frosting. Classy. I ate 14 of 'em and licked the Tupperware.. Piggish me.
    Canoski had anchovies!!!! Whoooo Buddy!!!!! Stairguy brought pickles and hot peppers. Ohhhhh Buddy!!!!
    We belched and passed gasses as we chatted into the night. We slept the comfy hammock sleep.

Finally we walked!!!!
    I commend Oscar-Blackeagle and his friend John for going at it. They will re-group and go again I feel sure. This is how you learn about backpacking .... get out and go!!!!!! Kudos fellers!
    Terrific getting to know Fourdog, PJ, Lonetracker, Savage and Theresa, Nop55, Headrush, Oscar-Blackeagle and Canoeski. And an honor to walk again with kayaknut, Stairguy, Walking Bear, Snipen, Hangin'Yankee.
    A thankee to Lonetracker for all the plant knowledge and that FANTASTIC Chega tea ....... made me see butterflies, faeries and dancing lolly-pops!!!!!!!!! Good to have you out there with us.
    Fourdog .... I appreciated the fire/pyro tips and tricks and our conversations into the night with Lonetracker .... therapeutic.
    A special shout out to Headrush (Sam).... Hangin'Yankees 10 year old son. He is polite, funny, non-whiny, independent, confident and a natural balancer. It was a pleasure to hike with a kid like him. Ol' Shug would not say this if he did not mean it .... he who speaks in third person.
    I will have a short video soonest.............
    Itchy Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I just got home a few minutes ago. I had a great time. I've got to figure out how to quit waking up at 5:30 in the morning like I do at home, while everyone else it sleeping in. I'll try to post a few photos later after the lawn is mowed and some home chores are done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast