Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkpol View Post
    Does anyone know the weight and temp rating on Leigh's 2/3 quilts?
    Weight will be somewhat variable for each person depending on how the UQ is attached. Also, you may choose to leave all of the shockcord attached to give you more options for hanging, or you may trim it to one particular setup. I use the silnylon V's that Hangnout designed, and it allows me to use less shockcord. As-shipped, including the V suspension, stuffsack, and the full length of shockcord it was 15.75 ounces. But don't take that as the final weight. I haven't yet trimmed my excess shockcord, but I think I can get it down to a little over 14 oz.

It is rated to below freezing, but I haven't tested it that cold. It was spring when I purchased mine.

I'm really happy with it!

Salty

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    Does anyone know the weight and temp rating on Leigh's 2/3 quilts?
    I used a 3 season quilt along with a friend on a thru-hike of the Long Trial this spring. We experienced two nights where it got cold, and snowed.

The first night we were more in the woods and protected from the wind, that night I slept quite warm, I think I woke up once or twice quickly because I had gotten cold in one spot, but it was easy to fall back asleep once I had adjusted myself and/or the quilt again.

The second night we experienced snow we had hung our hammocks in a lean-to. However I slept colder that night it snowed due to being up on a hill more and having wind blowing on us more than the previous night we saw snow. I woke up a few more times that night than the previous night, but still I was not so cold that sleeping comfortable was an issue. I however did not have a thermometer with me so I was not able to compare the temps on both evenings.

Besides these nights I also experienced warm days in the 90's some days with warm evenings also. So the quilts got a great range of weather and I would say from my experience they are worthy of their three season rating.

So my experience with the quilts when it snowed at nice was really good overall. The coldest part of me when I did get a little cold was my feet. From my experience the worst part of about using Leigh's quilts on those cold nights was getting the motivation to get out of my warm hammock each morning.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.0
    Tarp
    Cuben MLD Hex
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I use them exclusively any more. I too was apprehensive about a short UQ. More so because my feet have been frostbitten and are now pretty sensitive to the cold. In the two years that have followed, I have been down in very cold temps (-17F and below) using my short UQs. I generally use my backpack as insulation under my feet (pack inside the hammock with me). This also gives me a nice knee-break in the hammock. I used pads under my feet at the beginning, but found no benefit to pads over just using my pack. Not to mention saving about 11oz over the weight of a typical full length UQ.

I just can't see a reason why I would go back to a full length UQ, not for hiking anyway.
    Which UQ(s) are you using?

What I want to know is.. who can make me a 3-season 2/3 UQ with momentum or pertex quantum with 5-7oz down fill weighing in at 9-11oz?
    Last edited by thinkpol; 06-21-2010 at 16:07.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon/SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    SLD, WB, HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ, MLD TQ
    Suspension
    Daisy/Soft Shackle
    Chalk me up as another pleased user of Leigh's 3 season uq.

Great quality and service.

Same set-up as Salty and my scale registered at 15.6 ounces.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It seems to me that the question about "lightest" has to begin with some description of low temperature expected.

Additionally, though I'm big fan of partial UQ's, the weight question for them has to include the weight of anything used for insulating the lower legs.

My choice for summer temperatures capable of providing comfort to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or a bit below is a Warbonnet Yeti 3 season (about 11.5 to 12 oz) and a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad (1.5 -2 oz). If I'm hiking with my GG Gorilla pack, I use the foam backpad that comes with the pack and don't need the Thinlight pad.

FWIW, I've used the 3 season Yeti comfortably in the 25-30 degrees (F.) range. I appreciate that it's also comfortable at temps of 60 degrees, a testament to the "wonder of down"!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.0
    Tarp
    Cuben MLD Hex
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    It seems to me that the question about "lightest" has to begin with some description of low temperature expected.

Additionally, though I'm big fan of partial UQ's, the weight question for them has to include the weight of anything used for insulating the lower legs.

My choice for summer temperatures capable of providing comfort to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or a bit below is a Warbonnet Yeti 3 season (about 11.5 to 12 oz) and a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad (1.5 -2 oz). If I'm hiking with my GG Gorilla pack, I use the foam backpad that comes with the pack and don't need the Thinlight pad.

FWIW, I've used the 3 season Yeti comfortably in the 25-30 degrees (F.) range. I appreciate that it's also comfortable at temps of 60 degrees, a testament to the "wonder of down"!
    I have the full length GG Thinlight but was wondering if I should cut it? The whole thing is 1.8oz. Was thinking about getting a thicker version and cutting it for a backpad to fit in my ULA conduit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Which UQ(s) are you using?

What I want to know is.. who can make me a 3-season 2/3 UQ with momentum or pertex quantum with 5-7oz down fill weighing in at 9-11oz?
    I mostly use Yetis from Warbonnet Outdoors. However, I don't think he's doing much custom work with his quilts these days.
    Some of the other folks may be doing more custom work though and I haven't heard anything bad about their systems. Same concept at work; keep the core warm and let it keep the rest of you warm.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I mostly use Yetis from Warbonnet Outdoors.
    We need to get you out more, Cannibal. Your record is broken.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.0
    Tarp
    Cuben MLD Hex
    Insulation
    Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I mostly use Yetis from Warbonnet Outdoors. However, I don't think he's doing much custom work with his quilts these days.
    Some of the other folks may be doing more custom work though and I haven't heard anything bad about their systems. Same concept at work; keep the core warm and let it keep the rest of you warm.

Just ordered a 3 season yeti.
    My blackbird only took 2 weeks to arrive, hopefully the yeti will get here in a similar timeframe.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I really like my Winter Yeti. I recently used it when the nighttime temps only got down to around 65* or maybe a little higher. It is also supposed to take people to the negatives, though I haven't had it long enough to test those temps out. I can't wait to do it though!
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast