Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmlarson View Post
    Tell you what...with just a 3/4 length guide lite under me and a 15 deg Marmot over me, my camp pants and short sleeved shirt turned out to be enough for me...I had a long sleeved shirt on for a while but took it off and added it to my pillow in the middle of the night because I was just too warm!

I'm kind of looking forward to some colder temps so I can see just how cold I can go hanging...I'd like to make it into the 20's, but we'll see.
    Just into the 20's? Living in MN you need to go down to some super low temps.
    -10 maybe?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Just into the 20's? Living in MN you need to go down to some super low temps.
    -10 maybe?
    A couple of years ago I did a winter-time adult training program (Wood Badge) at the Boy Scouts of America Northern Tier High Adventure base, in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, near Ely, MN.

Most of the week we slept in cabins. But two nights my patrol and I slept outside, earning the coveted Zero Hero badge (needs to be below 0 degrees farenheit). We were out in -20 F. I dug a 2.5 ft trench in snow about 5 feet deep, had a tarp beneath me, a bivy, and a couple of serious sleeping bags, and layers upon layers of insulating clothing. In a hammock I'd want as much loft below me as I had above me those nights, I dunno, maybe 6". I bet 1.9 oz fabric positively crackles at temps that low.

Stars are really bright and numerous when you're that far away from city lights, when the air is that clear and cold.

One is strongly inclined to empty the bladder to the fullest possible extent before diving into the bag(s). Middle of the night trips to the bushes...well....you'd really rather not.

Grizz

Images
    I've only slept out a few nights that were REALLY cold... -31F (-35C)... With this sleeping bag, an insulated hood and an overbag of my own making... Underneath I had a 1" thermarest and a 1/2" CCF pad. I also wore fleece long johns and long sleeve undershirt.

Was cozy until the morning when the call of the bladder was unbearable... The worst is dressing in your bag without springing a leak...

BTW I'm a very warm sleeper.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight w/ring buckles
    Tarp
    MLD cuben fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack, JRB quilts
    Grizz,
    Sweet. I just finished Woodbadge at Philmont (WB83). It didn't get quite that cold though.

John

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    Grizz,
    Sweet. I just finished Woodbadge at Philmont (WB83). It didn't get quite that cold though.

John
    Philmont must also be a great place for Woodbadge. I was an advisor on a trek there in 2006. I imagine you occupied tents in the main area, close to meeting rooms and mess hall; hope you got a night or two out on trail. Catch sunrise from the Tooth of Time...

Grizz

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was hoping to HHammock in MN when I fly out there tomorrow, but now circumstances wont let me do it.
    Maybe next time I'm out there.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here is a photo of our setup. I still haven't worked out a good way to hang the two hammocks. I tried using the large hex fly (brown) over my daughter's hammock and the stock fly (blue) over mine. I didn't tie the smaller tarp to the trees, however, instead opting for the stock Hennessy prussic loops. Big mistake. The moment i got into the hammock, the tarp sagged and totally blocked the bugnetting. There was no chance of rain, so I got up and pulled it off. It was nice. Next time, it goes onto the trees directly.

FreeTheWeasel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I was hoping to HHammock in MN when I fly out there tomorrow, but now circumstances wont let me do it.
    Maybe next time I'm out there.
    Crash...if you are looking for some places near the Twin Cities to hang, just let me or the Weasel know and we'll point you in the right direction.

Weasel and I go to a place called Lake Maria...it's about 1 hour for either of the down town areas, but at the right camp sites you'd think you were MILES from anyone else!!!

As for the comments made by some about going -10....

ARE YOU NUTZ?!?!?!?

I think I will try 1 night this winter when it gets AROUND zero...but I'm not too sure I'll be hanging...I might try the trench in the snow trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    RE: spectra line sources....

...or try your local sailing supply store... My town of 40,000 people has one and they charge a $1 a foot for 3mm spectra, but if I only want a bit its cheaper than going to a mail order place and paying shipping.
    Rapt...that is a GREAT idea...I didn't even think of it!!!!!

There are two boating places withing 2 miles of my house...I'll have to give them a call!!!

After following Rapt's advice, I started calling around...for anyone in the Twin Cities area of Minneapolis and St. Paul looking for Spectra type line, it can be found at:

West Marine located behind Target and Best Buy near Ridgedale.
    Phone is 952-545-5540. The guy I talked to (Michael) didn't know the price off the top of his head, but it is sold by the foot and should be less than $0.75 a foot.

Just an TYI for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12