WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    In the list of kills it says clothes. I hope this is a misprint, I would hate to kill my clothes
    I thinks this came up earlier in the thread because I remember that "misprint" and I couldn't resist pointing it out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yea, I noticed that too. Hey, I don't write the copy! I just use the product. Let's hope they are better chemists than they are grammarians.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by czardad View Post
    I have recently been using the following product:
    Bonide BedBug Killer
    http://www.bonide.com/products/produ...ategory_id=573

Here is the MSDS:
    http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/msds/msds573.pdf

Currently, Sawyers can be had from Amazon for approximately 66 cents per ounce.
    Depending on the quantity of Bonides that you buy, it can be gotten between 16 and 32 cents per ounce. I recently bought 4 gallons for 32 dollars from Amazon (free shipping, Wow), but that deal is no longer available. That works out to 6 cents per ounce.

You could probably get a better cost per ounce by diluting a TS concentrated product, but I prefer Bonides because 1) its the exact same concentration as Sawyers so no fiddling with dilution 2) it is marketed to be applied to bedding ie next to skin 3) it is suspended in an aqueous solution rather than petroleum so no petroleum smell later and 4) much cheaper than Sawyers.

My testing with the product has proved it is as effective as Sawyers in all respects.
    Can you post a shot of the bottle you got through Amazon? Searched it just now, found the 4 gals for $32, but further down the page found another vendor w/ 4 gals for $90+. The label on the more expensive one would appear to be the label currently shown on the manufacturers site, whereas the label on the cheaper one is different. Soooo close to pullin the trigger...
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Does the Bonides stand up to washings like the Sawyers? How often does the Bonides need to be reapplied?
    (insert pithy quote here)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by czardad View Post
    I have recently been using the following product:
    Bonide BedBug Killer
    http://www.bonide.com/products/produ...ategory_id=573

Here is the MSDS:
    http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/msds/msds573.pdf

Currently, Sawyers can be had from Amazon for approximately 66 cents per ounce.
    Depending on the quantity of Bonides that you buy, it can be gotten between 16 and 32 cents per ounce. I recently bought 4 gallons for 32 dollars from Amazon (free shipping, Wow), but that deal is no longer available. That works out to 6 cents per ounce.

You could probably get a better cost per ounce by diluting a TS concentrated product, but I prefer Bonides because 1) its the exact same concentration as Sawyers so no fiddling with dilution 2) it is marketed to be applied to bedding ie next to skin 3) it is suspended in an aqueous solution rather than petroleum so no petroleum smell later and 4) much cheaper than Sawyers.

My testing with the product has proved it is as effective as Sawyers in all respects.
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    Can you post a shot of the bottle you got through Amazon? Searched it just now, found the 4 gals for $32, but further down the page found another vendor w/ 4 gals for $90+. The label on the more expensive one would appear to be the label currently shown on the manufacturers site, whereas the label on the cheaper one is different. Soooo close to pullin the trigger...
    WOW, this stuff is carried by a couple of local places, I need to get down there and check it out. When I go to the above links, i can not find anything that is on the label about % or petroleum etc.,nor do I see price. But if it as czardad says, it might be a great cheaper alternative to sawyers, and available locally maybe. I'll try to find more about it om the web.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    i can not find anything that is on the label about % or petroleum etc..
    You have to look at the MSDS page, I think.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You have to look at the MSDS page, I think.

Rain Man

Thanks, I looked again on MSDS and finally saw it: 0.5%.

It says "Aqueous/emulsion Diluent. COLOR: opaque/white ODOR: Slight Insecticide type odor.

Aqueous base product. Will not flash or burn. Will “steam” from water content."

Earlier there was a question about if this would stand up to washing as well as Sawyers. Anyone know of anything in Sawyers that would make a dif in this compared to other Permethrin products?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Bump, because we haven't had a good permethrin thread in quite a while, and, well, 'tis the season...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Chemical's the same. Biggest challenge to macho ticks and 'skeeters selected for survival against 'thrin is the crowding of wuss species members that "Florida'd" yet further North, as is possible every Winter.

Of course, if there's less spraying this year, self-help protection may matter more. Armed, if you will, to go bare-armed comfortably.

Gentlemen, gather up your garments and prepare your soak-tanks.

Thanks, Dave.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-15-2013 at 19:41. Reason: ticks

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    During the Hoosier Horse Fair,,one of the largest horse shows in the Midwest,,I ran into a Vet. Booth full of chemicals and stuff for horses,,asked him about a permethrin treatment for hanging and my gear and clothing. He sold me a can of Teckcide 11% treatment they used around horses, on horses, and around all the gear, farm equipment as well as horse equipment and told me not to get it on my hands and use rubber gloves in mixing it. He said the govt. controlled the making of the stuff and so before they watered it down, he bought 30-40 cases of the stuff from the supplier. Sold me a 20 oz can of it for 20 bucks. I mixed it according to the instructions, as it called for 2 table spoons per gal of water, mixes white looking like sawyers, but has a little smell to it, and after letting your gear hang a couple of days no smell left at all. After this weekends hang,,didn't get a tick on me anywhere, or even knew of the skeeters if they were around. Wife the other nite complained of skeeters sitting on the front porch so I lightly sprayed it down and part of the front yard..and not a skeeter anywhere. But this is super potent stuff the vet said. I figure I have about a 2-300 gallons of mixed in this can left that will last me. Check with horse suppliers and see if they have Techcide 11%.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast