only think i don't like is the orange citranella scent
so my questions is can you confirm they are the same for me
Tried skimming through most of this but didn't see what I was looking for. Does anyone spray their top quilt? If so would it be possible to go w/o a bug net. I do most of my hanging out west where the bugs are not as bad.
I have had luck with Bug Stop lawn care from the local Rural King, probably most any lawn care retailer. It is labeled with permethrin as the active ingredient and had no noticeable petroleum products in it when mixed with water ( no seperation ). I soaked my hammock and all my outdoor clothes in the dilution and dried in a drier. I've seen no degredation of the nylon either on hammock or clothes. There is a slight flowery order initially after treatment but it wears off after a full wash cycle. I barely ever see mosquitos, ticks, ants, spiders, or any other creepy crawly; they avoid me like the black death, and I don't use any other bug repellant at all.
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato
Working up in the Boundary Waters and doing most of my recreational camping in the UP, I've learned to just accept mosquitoes as a fact of life. In my experience those who coat themselves in toxic chemicals get bit anyways as do I, but at least I'm expecting it and don't have that sense of indignation when a skeeter drills through 100% melt-your-tent-and-sleepingbag bug spray. I've considered permetherine at times, and actually have used it while camping in South America, but I really don't want my interaction with nature to be killing any insect that happens to touch me. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with slapping a mosquito, but it's kind of a beautiful thing when a dragonfly lands on you because they are hunting the mosquitoes swarming around you.
Jasen, I have to have a bugnet here in the southeast, but if they weren't as bad I think I could get by with spraying my quilt.
The kicker would be keeping them off your face.
Funny that this thread started up again, since I just went and bought my concentrate yesterday. Gonna be treating my gear this weekend. I've done it for the last couple years and haven't had any ticks problems and very, very little mosquito issues.
The fear is the solution is worse than the biting insect. Yet the insect will kill 1.6 million people this year, Malaria & Yellow Fever across several continents. Mosquitos kill more human beings on the planet than anything else out there...
At home people bathe & drink, Chlorine a dangerous gas, jump into hot spa's of chemical & anti bacterial soups. People use underarm deodorant, spill gasoline on themselves at the pump, Use common soap in the shower, or smoke cigarettes, or drink Alcohol - all of which carry FDA "Warning" label. What we are discussing in this thread about SYNTHETIC PYRETHROIDS carries a "Caution" Label....
People that used DDT are very much alive today and only suffered thinning hair...
BWCAW hanger this post was not pointed at you, you brought to light a common misconception, Just elevate your perspective....
Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-16-2013 at 09:15.
So, I bought some of the Tractor Supply concentrate, and the warnings in this thread has me thinking. Maybe I'll just use that for items that will not be in direct contact with my skin, and buy some of the sawyers for clothing and the hammock. On a side note I have noticed headaches after using Deet so I opt for some of the less aggresive plant based skin applications.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan