Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    That response makes good sense to me. It is not all the same, though it may appear so. I have used Sawyers and most likely will continue.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I've been tempted to buy the cheaper farm stuff but have so far stuck to Sawyers - I think I'll stay with the Sawyers.
    I picked up a bunch of Sawyers dirt cheap at that recent sale they had! Hope they do that again some day.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Great advice! Thanks all!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    Any time guys. I would hate to see some one get sick!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Any that works
    I know Permethrin is toxic to cats when used in some flea and tick shampoos and such. But is it toxic to cats in its dried form such as treated hammocks and clothing ??

My cat likes to lounge in my wool hammock (untreated of course)

MC

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Because permethrin is sold for clothing, for house spraying, for use on our bodies for lice, etc, all by consumers, I figure (hope) it's safe in one-half of one percent applications on outdoors gear and clothing too.

However, something I don't understand is use of 100% DEET. That stuff melts plastic! And WORSE, studies prove that concentrations above 33% or so do not give any real increase in protection.

So, people are using triple the concentration for nothing ... and on their skin to boot, not on their clothing and gear (like permethrin).

To me, that's unsafe and just ... weird.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medinacaver View Post
    I know Permethrin is toxic to cats when used in some flea and tick shampoos and such. But is it toxic to cats in its dried form such as treated hammocks and clothing ??

My cat likes to lounge in my wool hammock (untreated of course)

MC
    I don't let my cats around the hammock, my quilts, or my clothing when it's wet with the stuff. However, I don't worry about it when everything has dried out. They're no more neurotic than they were a year ago when I started using it , so...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkman View Post
    OK guys I work in the Pesticide business! First Permethrin is Not non-toxic it is a pesticide! The stuff you buy in the outdoor stores is micro encapsulated this means it breaks down or releases slowly over time. That is why it last so long on you clothes and gear plus it will also not absorb in to your skin as fast the stuff from tractor supply. The horse, sheep stuff is NOT designed for treating your clothes or camping gear and is a bad Idea! You could slowly poison your self. Not to say it wont work it will. If you are only using you gear for the weekend once and a while you should be fine. I would just hate to see some one through hiking, for lets say the hole summer take a chance using a pesticide that was not designed to be used in the manner they where using it.....Just my highly trained 2 cents! Take it or leave it!
    Dang. Just when you think you've got a good thing, additional info comes along and spoils it.

Are you sure about the micro encapsulated thing? Would like to learn more about that. My experience has been that the outdoor store products don't actually last any longer than an application from Tractor Supply.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Dang. Just when you think you've got a good thing, additional info comes along and spoils it.

Are you sure about the micro encapsulated thing? Would like to learn more about that. My experience has been that the outdoor store products don't actually last any longer than an application from Tractor Supply.
    Without reading MSDS sheet I cant be 100% sure it is micro encapsulated. That is the way the industry makes pesticides last for a very long time so I am 99.98% sure.
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

I can't find anything about Sawyer Permethrin being encapsulated. They say that it naturally forms a very strong bond with fabric which accounts for it holding up through multiple washings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast