Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Idaho leg stretch trip report (lots of pics)

So I set out for what I had hoped would be a small group hike but became a solo trip late last week. I have been eying a short 11 mile loop about an hour drive from home.

I got a good bit later start than I had planned, my wife realized last week that after her birthday in April that her drivers license had expired and she had been driving the last couple months without a license. So after my quick drive up to the hills I hoped out of the car, got everything ready and went to turn on my GPS, only to find it was on, had been for 36 hours, since I had replaced the batteries. So a quick wasted hour to run to the closest little town and back for new batteries and I was ready to hit the trail at 1PM.

The trail was a slowly acceding 2 lane highway through the woods, working its way up the canyon. Covered in horse, mountain bike and dirt bike tracks I feared the worst.

But after a mile I passed one couple on horse back and no sign of anyone else. As the trail continued to climb the canyon wildflowers here and there were in bloom.

After several miles there was a major fork in the trail and the main mountain bike trail crossed the creek. leaving behind the quite obviously rarely used and much smaller hiking trail slowly working its way slowly towards the ridge line. After stopping at one point in a shaded spot for a breath and some water I came out from behind a small tree to spot a pair of doe's standing in the trail only a dozen yards away.

They never spooked as I approached but simply walked into the brush at the trail side and watched as I passed.

The trail continued to climb and the trail continued to become smaller with less and less sign of human travel and more heavily covered in deer tracks.

As I neared the ridge I came to a very small stream of water in a small gully with a 4-5 foot wide creek running in the bottom. Looking for a quick crossing I spotted a small snow bridge that looked as if it would do, I tested it cautiously with my trekking poles, seamed firm. Took one step on and before I had my full weight on it broke, sending my foot into the ice water flowing below. A quick set and I was over pulling the Dixon Roller pack up and free of the snow. As I approached the ridge patches of snow in the shade popped out everywhere.

I didn't get many pictures for the next couple miles as I was in an out of patchy snow that in places was still several feet deep. I was at times walking on firm icy snow and at times post holing my way slowly through the trees hoping that I was still "on" the trail. Every little low spot in the hill side had streams flowing down them, most still covered in thick snow, I was often walking cautiously hoping that I or the Dixon Roller Pack would not break through into waist deep holes that would have been a nightmare to get myself out of.

After crossing the main creek I finally made it to the North fork of the creek and was now headed steeply down hill and back towards the car. While I was past the worst of the snow pack the ground in many places was still very wet to the point of me sinking into the mud all along the trail.

But as the trail lost elevation almost faster than my buy this point beat to death legs could keep up with I started dropping back into elevations that looked more like spring than winter.

I had a number of small creeks to cross that in another month would be just dry rocky spots along the trail.

And from time to time looking back I had views of the mountains and ridge that I had been very close to only an hour before peaking out from behind the trees.

I had planned to camp someplace shortly after making the ridge crossing and dropping onto the second creek but as the elevation dropped so quickly form the ridge down stream I ended up traveling several miles looking for a spot I liked to hang. I finally spotted what looked to be a good spot, on the far side of the creek. After miles of rolling up trails, through snow and down some very steep descents and mud I now had to change the roller pack over to carry mode and pack it across the creek. COLD! Wading the knee deep water was invigorating at the end of the day with less than an hour left of good light these trees would have to do.

It turned out to be a nice spot filled with wild flowers and turned out to be the point between the main creek and another feeding in to it just down stream from my camp.

After I had some bean burritos for dinner I kicked back to have a bit of camp treat.

Night came early and I kicked back and snoozed a bit in my hammock as I watched the sky grow dark and the wind pick up. I had pitched the tarp for shade in the morning but decided before fully sleeping I should adjust the pitch to help block some wind. Getting up in the morning I leisurely packed up after a small breakfast and got set to cross the creek back to the main trail. I hoped it would be the only time as the water was noticeably cooler this morning than the crossing the evening before. In only a mile I found that it would not be the only crossing. The wide open canyon choked down to a narrow and steep passage with little space above the creek for the trail to hang from. I again switched the roller pack back to carry mode.

Knowing that the trail ended on this side of the creek I hoped that the trail would cross back over soon and decided to try my luck at just hiking and hope to find the next crossing shortly with the pack on rather than going back and forth from rolling to carrying and back again.

I did not have to wait long, in under a half mile I found the crossing, the trail just ended and down stream 20 yards there is was popping out of the water.

After crossing I switched back to rolling and pounded out the last 2 miles though willows, cottonwood and aspen trees, along with the occasional huge pine.

The trail began to grow back into a wide 2 lane mountain highway. But with one more quick stream crossing and a few hundred yards of road walking I was back at the trail head in time to watch dozens of mountain bikers heading up. In between them I watched the morning light hit the mountain in an amazing way, then it was gone.

Then got one last one for the road.

All in all it was an amazing trip with at lot of up and a lot of down but a nice start to the hiking season here in ID. Here is the elevation profile that my GPS recorded.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I am so jealous of where you live.

Great trip report!

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Great pics and glad you enjoyed yourself. One question: How did the silly-footed muffin cup work out? If it did well, would it fit inside a Snow Peak 900 and where can I get one?
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Paul:
    All I can say is........Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!Glad you had a great time in the woods and thanks for the great pics and report. Absolutely jealous!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great report Paul. Glad you were able to get out and stretch your legs.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    COOL, You have some of the best terrain to hike.
    Snazzy shirt in that last pic!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Great pics and report. Thanks Paul. That is truly beautiful country.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Great photos and great report ... sounds like a really good weekend. Gotta love those solo trips! Thanks for sharing!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I have to move out west...flat swampy pine trees are no fun!
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Paul, Thanks for a really great trip report and your pictures are absolutely top notch. That sure is some beautiful country that you live in. I too am jealous! Nothing like a trip like to help recharge the batteries.
    Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast