Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm a newb, but I'll put in my two cents; pads are bulky and loud (making that rustling/zipping sound when you shift), and underquilts (not speaking from experience) seem to only cover a portion of your body and appear to be a hassle to make and set up. I use a wool poncho under my sleeping bag, which does require some squirming to adjust, but is warm and quiet for 3 season camping (I've never tried it in the winter).

Hope this helps,
    -Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Welcome Kevin!

gakayaker and goodcaver offer good advice. I too started with a pad (CCF). I always thought that there should be Benny Hill music playing while I tried to get in/out of the hammock.

"Hours of Amusement" for your friends to watch!
    whaa hoooo hahahahah ive been wanting that song for so long thank you hahahahahah...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Has anyone successfully converted an older sleeping bag into an underquilt?

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Has anyone successfully converted an older sleeping bag into an underquilt?
    I have an Eddie Bauer 1# down bag from about 1973 that I never use, and it is a sewn-through design (basically a quilt sewn up the side).

Should be an easy conversion (he said naively).

Jim

PS: You young'uns will be amazed, but Eddie Bauer was once famous for top-notch outdoor gear. They supplied the first American Everest Expedition in AD 1963.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    "I use a pad, in conjunction with a bag that's made to accept a pad"--tgreening. Are there sleeping bags that have a separate pocket for Thermrest )or other) pads? Got a link or name of bag?

Edit: wait, I answered my own question on the intergrated pad--like this Big Agness model, on huge sale, PLUS another 25% off! http://www.altrec.com/big-agnes/lost...e-sleeping-bag

I am like many, on the fence about $150-$250 for a 3-season UQ, or just going with sleeping bag and CCF pad. I hear you about the skating on a pad in the 'mock. But I ask this: if backpacking and small size/lightweight is the goal, do you not already bring a sleeping bag with you to the hammocking site? So, if you're bringing an UQ, and a sleeping bag, might it be more simple and perhaps less hassle to bring one sleeping bag/mummy bag of a lower temp rating (i.e. a zero degree bag only) and skip the UQ. Sure, it's a fluffier bag to get zero degree rating, but still, methinks, more compact than a, say, 40F bag plus an UQ, right? Some would say the UQ and bag combo gives more options for temp changes than just a bag--true, but buy more than one bag. In odd camping environs with huge temp changes (uncommon), the bring both bags. Or just kick off as much of the zero dgree bag as will allow you to brathe and get properly cool. Some pretty fine sleeping bags are, esp when on sale, cheaper than UQs alone. Plus, you bring a sleeping bag anyhow, even when you have an UQ, right?

I've not tried it, so I don't know. I'm new to this. Just seems like there are as many posts on her about how to secure the UQ, including lashing techniques and stuff, as there are about suspension systems. ugh!

Thoughts please?

P.S. Getting in and out of HH may be tough in a 0 degree bag, but for $40, I can get the 2QzQ mod and no longer deal with the bottom entry, and better use the bag.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 07-26-2010 at 00:47.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    PS: You young'uns will be amazed, but Eddie Bauer was once famous for top-notch outdoor gear. They supplied the first American Everest Expedition in AD 1963.
    It seems that they are trying to recapture that brand recognition through their First Ascent brand and their recent sponsorship of other Everest expeditions in the last year or so.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Welcome Kevin!

gakayaker and goodcaver offer good advice. I too started with a pad (CCF). I always thought that there should be Benny Hill music playing while I tried to get in/out of the hammock.

"Hours of Amusement" for your friends to watch!

RF,
    I've always thought that was one of the funniest programs I've seen. I grin just thinking about it. Thanks for the memory!

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

RF,
    I've always thought that was one of the funniest programs I've seen. I grin just thinking about it. Thanks for the memory!

My pleasure. There's always something playing in my head
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    thought i'd mention that the thin pad from JRB that Salty spoke of will surprise you in how cold you can go with it. my only complaint about these pads-when full length-it that they dont stuff well if at all and either take up a lot of internal pack space or get tied on the outside where they can catch stuff.
    Back in 'the day' we carried ensolite pads 1/2 inch thick!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I am like many, on the fence about $150-$250 for a 3-season UQ, or just going with sleeping bag and CCF pad. I hear you about the skating on a pad in the 'mock. But I ask this: if backpacking and small size/lightweight is the goal, do you not already bring a sleeping bag with you to the hammocking site? So, if you're bringing an UQ, and a sleeping bag, might it be more simple and perhaps less hassle to bring one sleeping bag/mummy bag of a lower temp rating (i.e. a zero degree bag only) and skip the UQ. Sure, it's a fluffier bag to get zero degree rating, but still, methinks, more compact than a, say, 40F bag plus an UQ, right? Some would say the UQ and bag combo gives more options for temp changes than just a bag--true, but buy more than one bag. In odd camping environs with huge temp changes (uncommon), the bring both bags. Or just kick off as much of the zero dgree bag as will allow you to brathe and get properly cool. Some pretty fine sleeping bags are, esp when on sale, cheaper than UQs alone. Plus, you bring a sleeping bag anyhow, even when you have an UQ, right?
    I'm pretty new to hammock camping myself, but I think the idea is that your combination of under quilt and top quilt replaces the sleeping bag altogether. The problem with sleeping bags is that the insulation that gets compressed between you and the hammock loses most of its insulating properties--thus becoming pretty pointless. The UQ, however, hangs outside of the hammock, thus maintaining ALL of its heaty goodness.

The UQ/TQ combo is essentially a sleeping bag split down the middle and minus all them pesky zippers n' stuff. So, weight-wise, it would be equivalent to a sleeping bag, but much more thermodynamically efficient.
    -->dvis.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast