hanging hammock at ground level

I was just thinking that if the weather is cold enough why not hang the hammock at ground level like a bivy( with no or minimal clearance between hammock and ground) to minimize cooling effect on your back. Of course this technique will eliminate much of the comfort benefits of hanging in the hammock but it still has the benefit of protecting you from insects and the elements. The only additional item you would need for this is some type of ground cover.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I did that unintentionally one nite when I woke up and my bum was on the ground. It was during warm weather though. I was still fairly comfy.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have also woke up with my butt on the ground, but it was not intentional.

Isn't the whole point of a hammock to get off the ground?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have heard of getting close to the ground and putting dried leaves underneath to help stop air flow. I never tried it but I would in a pinch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Sounds like something to try at home first. BUT, if it works, that may be a good "survival tip".
    I am thinking that it may cancel out the benifits of a underquilt for those of us using them. Once it turns cold tho, I am going to try the lay close to the ground option, maybe even pile up leves as suggested by Dutch.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    last nov i found myself using two trees that were farther apart than i normally use. i was using the 1" polyester webbing from wal-mart & it just couldn't take the strain of that distance. it kept stretching until i touched the ground.
    after re tightening it a couple or 3 times, i decided it would break if i kept re-tightening it.so i spent the night w/ part of my weight resting on the ground.
    the exped DAM popped a valve & had to be repaired, but fortunantly it held most of it's air till morn.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=shortoff+mt

here's a picture... http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2180026.JPG
    yep, there's a hammock in there. and i slept pretty warm. i think it got into the low 2os w/ a howling wind.

i would keep this in mind... you will need insulation that won't compress where you lay. and the insulation (or something) will need to protect your hammock from abrasion. else. you may soon fall through that hammock
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have heard of getting close to the ground and putting dried leaves underneath to help stop air flow. I never tried it but I would in a pinch.
    In Machelle's TrailJournals, she reported doing just that. To keep warmer. Hang low to the ground, underquilt off the ground. Put the tarp sides down load, and scoop forest duff up under the bottom of the hammock/underquilt. She reported that it worked great. LNT and respread the duff around when you move on.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Images
    I've done that on purpose, minus the ground cover beneath, by using a 9 X 12 nylon tarp (pitched square over a Ridgeline with the ridge on the 9 foot axis, gives you six feet + - of tarp from ridge to ground) like an A frame tent, the sides staked to the ground, leaving the ends exposed to the air.....the larger tarp adds weight, as does any other method of cold weather insulation for a hammock....with care to face the open ends of the tarp cross wind to the prevailing breeze, you cut the airflow beneath. In extreme cold, you could use a plastic sheet or a poncho to close the ends, though I've never had to here in the blessedly warm Southern Winters.

String the Hammock as close to the ridgeline as possible, even this many years into using my hammock, it still stretches.......

Looks like I've hung my hammock in a tube tent when I'm done...and it works well.

• + New Posts