Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Skeeter Beeter Pro Suspension Upgrades/Alterations??

Looking for suggestions on modifying my SB Pro suspension. From straps, ridgelines, whoopee slings, rings, etc. I plan on having the option of using a full coverage tarp. I used the SB this past week for my first hang ever and there has got to be some mods to make it better to set up and adjust. If you have pics that is also helpful.

Thanks in advance from SB Pro Noob

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I seem to be on a kick lately of buying up various manufacturers and seeing how I can smiplify/lighten up the kit.

Perhaps another is in order.

Suggestions??

What do you suggest?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Hesitant to make any right now because Ive never had my mitts on one.

Wanna send me yours?!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Looking at some pics... I would think you could attach the bug net to a tarp RL. You may loose some spaciousness due to going from 4 tieouts on the net to being able to only use 2. Not sure if thats a time saver or not... I know I always set-up my tarp.... I may pull one side over the other to open it up... But I always have a line above my hammock to attach things to.

You could always go with some sort of spreader bar between either end of the tieouts and then bring a single cord up to an anchor point.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Here ya go...

Thanks!

Opie,

Thanks for the link.

The set up he has is close already to the factory set up as far as suspension. I am looking for something that can be adjusted easily without having to tie more knots in a rope/strap. Was interested in a Whoopee set up or strap and rings.

The end of the SB Pro is hemmed with a channel and the rope that bunches it runs through that channel. When pulled tight it bunches the end. There is no folding and lashing the end like some set ups. From there the short rope/cord is tied together and s hooks are used to attach to the rope that goes around the tree. You hook the S hooks to the knots on the rope. I have already got rid of the s hooks and used carabineers.

Hope all this makes sense. I could send you my SB after next weeks trip if needed???? Or send lots of pics.

I think I like the idea of attaching the hammock to ring(s) and then using straps or whoopee strings to make it fully adjustable without the use of knots to hang it.

On the netting- The netting has 4 loops to run cord through. I was thinking of using a ridge line to support the netting as well as a tarp. Since the loops are on both sides I was thinking of stitching the outside of each loop closed forming a pocket. I archery hunt and have several aluminum and carbon shafts that I can cut 2 short lengths and place them in the pocket and use them as a spreader bar. Then run a cord from each end of the shaft to the ridge line and attach them using a mini carbineer or clip of some sort. That way if I wanted to flip the netting to the underside I can do so easily without having to untie anything.

Any thoughts on the suspension or if the netting set up is worth a try?

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Add slings to just about any hammock is a cinch. Easiest with ones that use a channel. Then you can go with shorter strapage, say 6'. Coupled with 6' slings and you have a range of adjustment thats good for 75% of the US, IMO. I have yet to run into a situation where 6+6 wont work. Of course, you are out in Cali... so maybe 8' on the straps. If you like having the rings in your set-up, add those to the channel first using a shorter section of line, then you can build the whoopie sling from the ring up. At this point you wouldnt need to take it apart, the rings and slings would stay attached to the hammock all the time. Toss your straps around your trees and tie in a MSH in each one. Ive become a fan of the MSH, and that would eliminate the biner connection between sling and strap. The adjustable loop of each strap would then go over the MSH knot, adjust and you are done.

Spreaders on the bug net is also something I would suggest, seperate line from each tieoff up to a single point on your tarps ridgeline using something thats adjustable so you dont limit your hammock to tarp distance. Ive found the guy lines I make to work well as bug net suspenders. I would run the cordage coming from the bug net right off the tieouts. Use the spreader just to spread the net out, not as a connection point for the cord. I assume this is what you would do anyway....

You cant go wrong with a ring/strap set-up either, thats pretty bombproof. Its a little heavier, but only if youre counting ounces. I had a custom order for one that was all webbing with a single cinch buckle on either end of the hammock.. Worked like a charm.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    Dont mind if I get in on this....I have a SBP as well. I just added Whoopie Slings on both ends and borrowed some slap straps from a friend as I didnt have webbing at the time. I connected the sling to the straps with a biner. Is this the best way? or is there a better way to get the sling to the tree? I would love to keep it as simple as possible.

As for the bug net, I tried running a ridge line through it but found that it sort of "tensed" the hammock up. Didn't give it the range of motion I was looking for. If I moved around in the hammock something didnt feel right. The shock cord seemed to work best. Also, I think I read here somewhere that if you add to much tension to the netting it could cause zipper failure or a possible tear in the netting. Not sure if adding spreaders would have the same affect but just a thought to keep in mind.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I have the SBPro as well. I have tried the rings and strap suspension, and really couldn't get a good lay in the hammock. I haven't tried Whoopies yet though. I have found I get a better hang using the suspension rope that came w/ the hammock.
    I have changed it a bit, I made some tree straps and use the marlin spike hitch to hang from. I also just made a suspension line out of some strap I had laying around the house and made it like the knitted rope suspension line provided for the SBPro.
    As far as the netting suspension goes as of right now I just use the shockcord for suspending the netting. I have had the thought of trying what opie suggested about using attaching to the tarp ridgeline, just haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast