HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Clamcleats

A short while ago, someone posted about Clamcleats. I took the plunge and ordered a pair of the polycarbonate and aluminum ones. Man, these things are sweet. Paired with the stock Hennessy rope they make set up a snap. Treehuggers threaded through each other, carabinet in the empty loop, line from the cleat through the carabiner and back. Once they set under weight, they do not slip. They are also surprisingly light, though slightly bulky. I may just stick with these rather than convert to whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Cool. Can you post a link and model number?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Pics or you're just a tease

Tom

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    Can you post a link to the Camcleats that you had used.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    A short while ago, someone posted about Clamcleats. I took the plunge and ordered a pair of the polycarbonate and aluminum ones. Man, these things are sweet. Paired with the stock Hennessy rope they make set up a snap. Treehuggers threaded through each other, carabinet in the empty loop, line from the cleat through the carabiner and back. Once they set under weight, they do not slip. They are also surprisingly light, though slightly bulky. I may just stick with these rather than convert to whoopie slings.
    I'm not sure why anyone would buy those. Clams don't even have feet!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would buy those. Clams don't even have feet!
    But they are happy!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Knotty,

Here is the link to their PDF http://www.clamcleat.com/uploads/cle...r-Hammocks.pdf. I chose the CL826-11AN because of the higher weight load it would take. Before buying them, I asked a friend of mine who is a competitive sailor if he had heard of them. He has raced multiple times in open ocean yacht races (Swiftsure, that circum navigates Vancouver Island, the Victoria to Maui race, etc). He swears by their products.

So, I decided to try them out. After 5 nights, no failures, or signs of damage to the lines. The third night out included some pretty stifff winds thanks to some Montana thunderstorms.

So far, I am impressed.

As to pics, I did not think to take a close up of the rig. Sorry. But the PDF pretty much shows how I set things up. One of the nicer features is the ability to quickly reposition the cleat along the rope to take into consideration the distance between trees. Not as simple as a whoppie sling, but nice none the less.

I also used the CL266 for my tarp guy lines. I replaced the guy lines on the Hennessy Hex with Bluewater 3mm NiteLine. It is a nice, soft, high strength dual core utility line with an easy hand. The CL266 makes it really easy to tension the guy lines.

I'll keep using these for a while. I am not a weight junkie, so I may not switch to whoopie slings. Weight is actually not a huge concern for me, as everything is carried to its destination on the back of my motorcycle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I just finished looking at the link that Oxblood posted. It looks to me as if the small ones on the left hand side of the page. Are the same ones that were sold here in the forum store for tarp tieout line use. The ones large enough for use on hammocks look interesting. But I am pretty satisified with my whoopie sling / tree strap set up. They are light weight and pretty K.I.S.S. simple. Looking at the clam cleat set up. Has me wondering if there woud be an problems releasing the rope after laying in the hammock all night. If I were to use one I would go with the CL826-72 nylon cleat as it weighs .8 oz compared to 1.2 oz for the aluminum cleat. Two drawbacks with using the Nylon is that according to the spec sheet you are limited to temps above freezing. Also it calls for 1/4 inch rope which is a pretty hefty size when you are counting every gram. On futher inspection of the spec sheet I see that the Aluminum cleats are only good to around 0 degrees. I doubt that I will be hanging at temps that low. But one never knows!
    Terry

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    Knotty,

Here is the link to their PDF http://www.clamcleat.com/uploads/cle...r-Hammocks.pdf. I chose the CL826-11AN because of the higher weight load it would take.
    Even at the "higher weight load" limits shown for this, it still may be on the "light" side. I confess to being a non-engineer, but my impression is that hammock suspension components usually have higher weight limits than the ratings on the Clamcleats. The lighter versions for tarp lines is not an issue, but supporting the weight of person and miscellaneous gear in the hammock can be.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been talking with some of the people at Clam Cleats about their clips for use with hammock suspension. I want to start stocking some of them in the Hammock Forums store but we are still doing some testing on both sides of the pond. I have a set and Grizz has also been testing a set. The people at ClamCleat are also testing them with various types of ropes in a laboratory setting.

Long story short, the cleats work great with a double braid (inner core with an outer covering) rope but they don't work so well with single braid ropes like the Amsteel so many of us are using ATM. They do work fairly well with the 1/8" size Amsteel but the 7/64 slips easily and I would not advise using them with that small diameter cordage.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast