I finally figured out where I'm going to hang in my upstairs office. There are two spots on opposite walls with doubled studs at just the right distance that puts the hammock diagonally across the room right over the unused area in the center. Being as the studs are doubled I thought I'd use padeyes with four screw holes spaced ~1.5" apart... no problem, right? Nope... I've been to three hardware stores. Nobody even knows what a padeye is... even showing a picture on my phone doesn't help. Nobody has them!

Must I order them online? Is there a major chain of some sort that carries them? Any particular type of specialty shop (other than marine, which we don't seem to have)?

I've considered just putting a lag threaded eyebolt in, but they're only rated for about 400 lbs and my understanding is that the rating is for a directly parallel (to the shaft) load, if the load is perpendicular to the shaft it's something like 25% of the rated load... I'm guessing about 33% of the rating, which is ~132 lbs, which is probably enough for a static load, each side holding half, but I'm concerned about dynamic load (I weigh about 180) when getting in and out, and I'm also concerned about the fact that the eyebolts aren't directly across the room from each other, so one of them will be loaded slightly from the side, which is also a no-no for eyebolts.

PS: I did find load rated heavy duty screws by SPAX (multiple material screws, rated for 1000 lbs direct load, and something like 450 lbs pulling down, when screwed into fir), so I'm ready to mount the stupid padeyes once I can find them!!!

Here's a very poor picture of what I plan to do... anybody see anything to be concerned with? Am I asking for trouble by using the studs next to the window, even though there are two? How about that diagonal wall near the door? it seems that since there's a double stud right there it's somehow part of the diagonal wall that makes the hallway wall directly opposite the double stud. Is it possible that the diagonal wall to the door is a weaker wall than normal? My thought was that all of the angles around there would lend extra support since they're probably all tied together somehow... (oh how I wish I could see inside the walls!)