HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

4 Nights in an Explorer

I started out my so far short career in hammocking with the Expedition. Alas, it was just too short to be comfortable for me (6ft 2in, 230lbs). I should have spent the extra to begin with, but finally sprung for the Explorer Deluxe with Side Zip.

I spent 4 nights (5 days out on the road on the m/c, from Vancouver, to Kettle Falls, WA to Heron, MT, to Coulee City WA, and back to Vancouver) in the hammock. Wow, I was so comfortable. While the bottom entry is a neat idea, I find I prefer the side zip. The extra length and width of the Explorer was also nice. I got a nice flat lie all the time, and slept very soundly. I did not miss my tent one bit.

Its also amazing what a conversation starter it is. I would roll into a campground in the afternoon, unload, set up the hammock, and soon enough anyone who passed by would ask about how I managed to get so much on a bike, and gee, is that a hammock?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    I started out my so far short career in hammocking with the Expedition. Alas, it was just too short to be comfortable for me (6ft 2in, 230lbs). I should have spent the extra to begin with, but finally sprung for the Explorer Deluxe with Side Zip.

I spent 4 nights (5 days out on the road on the m/c, from Vancouver, to Kettle Falls, WA to Heron, MT, to Coulee City WA, and back to Vancouver) in the hammock. Wow, I was so comfortable. While the bottom entry is a neat idea, I find I prefer the side zip. The extra length and width of the Explorer was also nice. I got a nice flat lie all the time, and slept very soundly. I did not miss my tent one bit.

Its also amazing what a conversation starter it is. I would roll into a campground in the afternoon, unload, set up the hammock, and soon enough anyone who passed by would ask about how I managed to get so much on a bike, and gee, is that a hammock?
    Excellent! I'll always remember my first hanging trip in my Explorer. Despite all the things I had to learn, every thing re: hiking trips changed after the discovery of super deep sleep in the woods!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The HH Explorer was my first camping hammock. It is what got me hooked on hammocking and will always be in my collection.
    Glad there was no tent-separation anxiety.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The Hennessy Explorer is a nice rig. Glad you're enjoying it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am enjoying it indeed, folks. I was impressed by the Exped, but felt cramped in it. With the extra room in the Explorer, I am truly in dreamland when sleeping.

Hammock
    HED / ENO DN
    Tarp
    H/Hex
    Insulation
    HSS / Ember
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I just spent 4 nights in my HHE as well.It was the first time I used the under cover or SS. I had some problems getting the mat back in place once I was in the hammock. I had some cold spots the first 2 nights but the last 2 nights I was able to get it back in place with a little bit of a strugle Any tips on how to get the mat in place once your in? I also used the space blanket and it worked really well. I was warm amd dry all night.
    "Hang In There"
    Leave It Better Then You Found It!!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberRider View Post
    I just spent 4 nights in my HHE as well.It was the first time I used the under cover or SS. I had some problems getting the mat back in place once I was in the hammock. I had some cold spots the first 2 nights but the last 2 nights I was able to get it back in place with a little bit of a strugle Any tips on how to get the mat in place once your in? I also used the space blanket and it worked really well. I was warm amd dry all night.
    The mat comes with tie outs in both ends and both sides. Tie them correct, place a space blanket on top of mat and the mat wont move. That is if you enter the hammock in the right manner. Grab the fabric of the hammock, mat and shelter, then move excess hammock fabric back. Sit down and enter your hammock.
    Here is some video of the above mentioned.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/specs_und...erpad_big.html

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    The mat comes with tie outs in both ends and both sides. Tie them correct, place a space blanket on top of mat and the mat wont move. That is if you enter the hammock in the right manner. Grab the fabric of the hammock, mat and shelter, then move excess hammock fabric back. Sit down and enter your hammock.
    Here is some video of the above mentioned.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/specs_und...erpad_big.html
    That is about it. Before I removed the net, I would usually just reach out the bottom entry, grab the pad/space blanket and shift things slightly to the left before I laid down all the way. Or sit back up and reach out and move it if I found it too far to the right after I laid down. It can't move much, due to the tie outs, but it ban be off a bit. Of course, with out the net or with a zipper mod, adjusting or adding to a SS is super easy. CAUTION: be gentle, it is EASY to poke holes in the pad when doing the above. It really helps to have the space blanket between fingers and pad. ( I'm still using my original pad after 3 years. Looks rough but still works)

That SS is one of several ways to be warm in an Explorer, a hammock I still enjoy!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went with the explorer Deluxe side zip. My 4 nighs ut I used a Thermarest 2/3 Prolite pad. I was comfy he entire time, even up onnthe Bull River in Montana (overnight temp down to about 40).

• + New Posts