Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    mbiraman, yeah it was nice but nothing like the waters you get to paddle! but its all good as long as we are trying to get out there.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    if serious about getting a kayak come my way....we keep 18 on the rack, 3 in the house and there's 2 hanging on walls..so try before you buy! they really can be a floating backpack
    So I know absolutely nothing about Kayaking and in no way would I want to try white water Kayaking but I would love to try some slow water Kayaking like in this vid. So are there different types of Kayaks for different types of water?
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Very nice video thanks for sharing with us. I especially liked the butterflies they have always fascinated me.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Great vid, can't beat getting out on the water and camping

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Carolinasbackpacker....
    types of kayaks:
    Long boats and short boats
    Long boats=sea kayaks, racing kayaks, touring kayaks, recreational kayaks...what determines is the length, width, hull cross section. also included are the surf skis.
    Short boats=whitewater kayaks and recreational kayaks.
    Some recreational kayaks can so some levels of whitewhater, usually 1-2 and 2 might
    be pushing it depending on the boat and the paddler skill/comfort level.
    A new class of boat is out now that is a 'cross-over'. They are shaped like a whitewater kayak but have a drop down skeg so between rapids (and on flat water trips) you can track and go in a straight line.
    Whitewater kayaks=creek boats, river runners, squirt boats/freestyle.
    Most all kayaks can have a hatch but the smaller the kayak the less room for one. With hatches and bulkheads you have 'watertight' areas for gear. That said most small whitewater kayaks dont have the room since they are so short for hatches and storage areas but most whitewater paddlers go out for the day and not for overnight camping.

If like most you'll study recreational kayaks or short touring kayaks....the rec. and the touring kayaks range from 12 feet at a minimum to 15 or 16 feet. The true sea kayak begins at 16 feet and goes to 21-22 feet. The rec. and touring kayaks are long enough usually for a hatch/storage compartment fore and aft.

Decisions to make.
    Plastic or fiber. Fiber is glass or a more expensive composite like carbon, kevlar or a combo carbon-kev kayak.
    Each has a pro/con. Plastic is more affordable but heavier. It scratches easier and is harder to repair. The composites can be incredibly lightweight, can more easily be repaired (especially if fiberglass) but cost sometimes 2 times as much.
    Weight is not an issue on the water and can sometimes be an advantage....weight becomes real when putting on and off the vehicle and moving to the water--lots of different types of wheeled units on the market to help there.
    Next decision-rudder or skeg? The pros/cons of this decision have gone on for decades in the kayak forums. Some kayaks like the Epic 18 by Barton and the Mirage 580 have integral rudders.

I could go on and on and on. Just remember there is a lot of water out there and on that water lots of places to hang a hammock

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Strap/Tri Rings
    I'm all about the kayaks too. The hammock is going to be a nice addition and maybe I can do some overnighters now down here on the Edisto River. I paddle a Native Manta Ray 14 and the wife has a Native Ultimate. Its getting to be time of the year to paddle in some cool water and put the mountain bikes up for now.

I may just head out tomorrow morning and do some fishing and take the hammock along for a rest somewhere along the way.
    Last edited by MattH; 06-25-2010 at 14:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12