Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Anyone going out on AT this weekend? 6/25-6/27

Get another 3 day weekend, figureing on another section of AT.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Dancer and I are doing a short overnighter from Wayah Bald to Winding Stair Gap with a couple other friends. Too hot for long distances or big climbs, just getting out to stretch the legs a bit and enjoy being outdoors.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ' Too hot for long distances or big climbs' Truer words never before spoken! I remember leaving Springer once when it was 98F in Hotlanta-miserable 3 days, never dry and not a drop of rain. This is not the hiking season.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    ' Too hot for long distances or big climbs' Truer words never before spoken! I remember leaving Springer once when it was 98F in Hotlanta-miserable 3 days, never dry and not a drop of rain. This is not the hiking season.
    Welllll...I'm not feeling like the brightest bulb in the package since everyone's complaining about the heat but me and a couple friends are going on a 4 day trip doing several sections of the BMT starting this Friday. Yep...it's going to be hot, lots of big climbing, rough trails, and long. But ooooh what an awesome time we'll have!! Eeeeeiiiiiii Haaaaa

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    having said that, i'd still rather be slogging up a rock strewn trail pouring sweat and swatting nats than sitting where I am now you will always find a creek a vista a critter or just good companionship out there that i can't find here in my cage.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    having said that, i'd still rather be slogging up a rock strewn trail pouring sweat and swatting nats than sitting where I am now you will always find a creek a vista a critter or just good companionship out there that i can't find here in my cage.
    I hear ya!!! Any day outside doing life is better than being locked inside. About the bugs, well, me and MaxiDeet are real good buddies at this time of year. One downside to the heat is carrying the extra water. Weighs a ton.

Images

In the North Georgia area.

There are trails in the Cohutta Wilderness in north Georgia where you ford rivers ever so often and can find some swimming holes. Both the Jacks River Trail and the Conasauga River Trail fit that, especially near their western ends. This is the time of year to hike those trails. They are about 14 to 16 miles long but shuttling from one trailhead to the other is a long, long road drive. It is best to hike in and then backtrack or use other connecting trails to do more of a loop. Unfortunately there are mountians to climb if you get off the river trails.

The Chattooga River Trail along the GA/SC border in NE Georgia doesn't have the wet fords but you can find places to cool off in the river.

Sometimes you need to rethink where you want to go when it is brutally hot or cold. For short day hikes, Red Top Mountain State Park has a lakeside trail (5 or 6 miles, some of it a loop) where you can jump in the lake. Sometimes I take a couple of hammocks, set up a dog runner, and make a day out of hiking a few miles to a nice spot where we can go for a swim. After messing around in the water, I can secure the dog, take a nap and dry out or whatever. Their pay campsites have some pretty good lake access too.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Just found out I have off Monday. Very tempting but I think the ocean is calling this weekend.

• + New Posts