Hammock in a short space

Hello everyone

So ive wanted a hammock for many years now, i currently live in an apt. with a deck that is about 8.5 ft long (probably 9ft corner to corner). Does anyone have some recommendations on a hammock that i can fit in that short of a space? I am 6ft tall, so itll be a tight fit but an advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    First off, welcome to HF!!!!!!!!! In that short of a space I don't think you will be comfortable in a hammock that will fit the space. I will ask if you have thought of putting a stand in one of the rooms in your apartment. I will be posting some pics of the stand I just completed for my daughters room in our house. The stand is 10' long by 4' at the base by 6'6" high. Easy to build and not very expensive to purchase the materials. This will allow you use most of the hammocks that are on the market today.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Funny you should ask...

I hung inside a wedge tent that is 8.5' long during deer season last year...it's doable.

To hang as you describe, start with a shortish hammock. A Speer works for me. Forget adjustable suspensions...they take up room you don't have. Larkshead a continuous loop of Amsteel on to each end of the hammock, screw big honkin' hooks into something solid, hang, and enjoy.

You will have to tweak with this some, to get it right, but it can be done.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A gathered end hammock would be really tight in that space. If you are a DIY kind of person I might suggest looking into a bridge hammock. There are math considerations that go into the suspension triangle of a bridge which I don't even pretend to understand but we've got quants galore in here that I am sure could fill any void you have with more formulas than you can shake a stick at. A bridge hammock can get away with a much shorter bed. Whether the suspension triangle would be doable in that distance I can't even begin to know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thank you for the welcome; my apartment has less room than my deck so unfortunately an indoor frame wont work for me.
    As for the Speers hammock; they appear to only have camping models w/ bug nets etc. Do you know how long a typical Speers hammock is, then I can get another hammock of similar size since you say a Speers would work.
    The bridge hammock also looks good, however ive never been in one before: do they feel more or less like a reg hammock?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteyfisk View Post
    Thank you for the welcome; my apartment has less room than my deck so unfortunately an indoor frame wont work for me.
    As for the Speers hammock; they appear to only have camping models w/ bug nets etc. Do you know how long a typical Speers hammock is, then I can get another hammock of similar size since you say a Speers would work.
    The bridge hammock also looks good, however ive never been in one before: do they feel more or less like a reg hammock?
    The Speer is 9' long...ridgeline length varies with individual preference, but will generally be <8'. The mosquito net is removable.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    ENO has the Pronest that's only 96 in long. Not sure if a six foot tall person will be comfortable in it.

• + New Posts