Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    kinda off topc but it has worked for me for 17 years.... never ever get her a gift with a cord attached to it.... trust me your sending her the wrong message, maybe if she has asked for it but then again not as a gift but for a just because. maybea night in the hammock with rose pedals in it, just don't wear white!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Images

Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

I'm looking for an easy hike-in/out location for a one-nighter with a young lady who is new to camping. We may not even do the hammock thing (don't bash me) since I only have one and it's an UL. Thinking somewhere with an impressive view or waterfall.

Carry on . . .

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by skoolbyrd View Post

I'm looking for an easy hike-in/out location for a one-nighter with a young lady who is new to camping. We may not even do the hammock thing (don't bash me) since I only have one and it's an UL. Thinking somewhere with an impressive view or waterfall.

Carry on . . .
    Much better, I use the term "wonderful wife" though after today, at least from my perspective, that requires some thought. (Rough day on the home front.) She does appreciate it so much when I publicly acknowledge her in a positive way. Especially when she sees how so many others talk about their wives. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say do what she wants to do, even though it may be contrary to your desires. I try to have a date night at least once a month with my wonderful wife that is something oriented strictly toward her tastes, desires, and not mine. An act of selflessness goes a long way.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skoolbyrd View Post

Carry on . . .
    To get to your actual question, it sounds like you've already got good options. I would go with the waterfall (Hilliard), because it's a short hike from what I can tell.
    I would also forego the hammock this time, if your intentions are romantic. Do bring the wine and chocolate covered strawberries, though. Just take precaution to keep them cool since the point is to be a romantic gesture, not a chocolatey mess ... wait. On second thought

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ok, here's my thoughts... find a nice 2-4 mile hike that leads to an area with waterfalls. But make sure there is a bit of a swimming hole there too. Don't pick something that is very travelled, so that you can have it to yourselves. and if she is squeemish about jumping in, at least you can dangle your feet in from a rock.
    The hammock I'd avoid. They are awesome for a comfy night of sleep, but they don't have much to hold on for leverage...
    Bring a nice blanket to spread on the rock for a picnic. Is she a sushi kind of girl? You can bring some that doesn't have raw fish. Get a little cooler with a small block of dry ice. Instead of chocolate, nutella. yum! and it comes in a jar, so no worries about it melting. Hmmm, now I'm dreaming....

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Pick a small loop (backtracking stinks - loops show you new stuff coming and going), preferably near water unless the area is buggy... and then (double negative that) if it is scheduled to be a bit windy as this will keep the bugs down IF near water (flat) :-)

think comfort comfort comfort for a newbie... don't want to scare them off of the hobby. Carry as much of her load as is possible but next time let her carry more... don't want to give her the wrong idea, this is just breaking her into the hobby after all...

Wine and hard cheese (does better without refrigeration)... somewhere comfortable to sit (bring your hammock anyway!!!)

A clear night would be nice... in fact, if you can - plan your trip around one of these:

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/meteors/

Be yourself (unless you're a Jerk... then - be somebody else!! lol)

God speed

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

I tell you what I did...

I took my bride thru the Pigeon Forge traffic for over an hour and had to avoid looking at the Smokies off in the distance. She knew what I was thinking. But I kept telling her how excited I was to walk the crowded hot sidewalk in Gatlingburg knowing that wilderness bliss was not far away (well... I didnt actually say that) I was surprised that the outfitter store I used to hang at is gone. Looks like 2? 3? outfitter stores have taken over tho. She did let me check them out tho... In the end... glad I took her trail instead of mine

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    Not sure, but you could start by not referring to her as "ole lady"?
    Beat me to it. This is the 21st Century, isn't it?! If "ole lady" comes out of the mouth or the finger tips, then it probably comes out in a host of other vibrations that _she_ picks up on. Not conducive to romance of any sort.

I'm sure you meant well, so take our advice in the good, helpful spirit intended.

Have a GREAT romantic get away with the sweet, lovely wife!

Rain Man

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    ...never ever get her a gift with a cord attached to it....
    So, no Hennessy's or Whoopie Slings?
    Last edited by Trooper; 06-26-2010 at 07:35.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Don't know about camping there. But you could take her to down the road from Lake Lure to Chimmney Rock Park where part of The Last of The Mohicans movie was shot. Then pretend that your her woodsman in a breechcloth and leggings and your going to save her like in the movie. West of that area off US 64 near Highlands you could try Cliffside Lake if you could get a spot. Set up camp then go for a short hike around the lake and what not there. Bridal Falls is close down the road from there. Or hike in and camp at Panthertown. I have never hiked or camped there yet but did Mountain bike it. Its nice but its a little tough getting back up and out of there when your tired. Whiteside Mt is a nice day trip. Its a hit or miss with the veiw in the summer pollution haze there tho. Further west is Pickens Nose,Mooney Falls,Rock House and such in Standing Indian west of Franklin. It would be a little cooler to hike there in the mountain laruel thickets along the creeks. If in Franklin hit up Fat Buddies for the BB ribs. Its a nice scenic drive across US64 also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast