Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Please help...trying to figure out what to buy

Hi, I am a ummm....36 (I think) year old woman who is a bit overweight ..OK...I weigh in at almost 200 lbs...I'm working on it though..lol.. who is planning an extended (extended for the boys is only 7 days) Kayak trip with a group of scouts (yes, I kayak ) . I have had back trouble in recent years, nerve problems mostly, and I am afraid of sleeping on the thermarest mats as I did when I was younger. I was thinking that maybe a hammock might allow me better rest, so I was thinking about getting one to use for this trip. I would need one with no see-um (or mosquito) netting and a weather cover as where we are going rain is not unusual and it will be primitive camping (black flies are a problem too). Does anyone have any suggestions, I really would like to keep the price reasonable too if possible.

Thanks,
    wishing2gonorth

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    How soon do you need it, and what is your budget?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Hi Wishing, welcome to the forum. I'm a 40 yr old woman with a similar build to you. I have a Blackbird Double Layer 1.1oz hammock that's very comfortable and a nice oversized tarp for weather protection. I think that the Blackbird would meet all of your needs with the possible exception of the "reasonable price" since that term can mean different things to different people. As Dave mentions above, maybe you can give us an idea of your budget?

If you're looking for a quick and simple solution, then go to REI and get a Hennessy Hammock. It comes with the hammock, bug netting, suspension, tarp - everything you need and it's affordable. You may or may not want to upgrade the tarp, however.

If you have time and are willing to do some research, then there are a few other options that will allow you to piece together a supreme setup. For example, you will notice that Warbonnet seems to be very popular here.

Look for some reviews on the forum to get an idea of what every hammock has to offer. That being said, REI has the ENO hammocks for 25% off.
    -legs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the fourm! You have come to the right place for advice. As already stated "reasonable price" means different things to different people. Almost with out exception everyone that tries hammock hanging really enjoys it and swears that they will never go back to the ground again. With that said I will say this. Many people who start off with lower end hammocks. Usually at some point upgrade. Given your requirements of comfort and bug protection. I would say that you would be very happy the the Warbonnet Double 1.7. The $175.00 price tag may seem steep at first glance. But the quality of workmanship is outstanding and it is worth every penny. It will serve you well for many years to come. Sometimes it is wise to look past the price tag. Just my two cents.
    Terry

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and if it turns out not to be your 'cup of tea" REI has an exceptional return policy!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    My first hammock and tarp were from DD hammocks and I still like them pretty well. Check them out as an alternative to the HH, but I'll admit the HH setups are pretty slick.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/

There are other alternatives like the Byer Moskito which are pretty low priced, but by the time you work out suspension, what you're going to use for a tarp and tarp ridgeline, it adds up.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    It sounds like you enjoy the outdoors, have kids that enjoy the outdoors, and you enjoy spending time with your kids in the outdoors. As others have already mentioned, budget is typically a factor when deciding on which hammock to purchase. I would also like to throw out there that as a parent and wanting to enjoy the outdoors as long as I can with my kids, being comfortable and not feeling sore helps to keep up with kids. Comfort and budget should equally help with your decision. I started with a typical gathered end hammock and slept decent but I have since upgraded to a double Blackbird and have not looked back since. It sleeps great, whether you are on your back or side. Even been able to sleep on my stomach, somewhat twisted, but slept very well. My personal advice is to go with the Blackbird. The built in footbox is what sets this hammock apart from the others. I'm sure there are several other great hammocks . . . but I'm partial to the Blackbird.

Just my $0.02
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Reasons I would consider the Blackbird:
    1. Hammock camping usually requires insulation under you and with the double layer blackbirds you could slide an inexpensive camp pad or your thermarest under you. The cost of underquilts would put an initial price of a hammock, tarp and uq out of most peoples budget for a one month purchase.
    2. If you don't end up liking the Blackbird they sell used on this forum in minutes. I'm not kidding.
    3. Higher initial cost but packed with comfort and features so you don't need to upgrade later.

Good luck with your decision.

Eagle Scout Karl
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Hey--welcome to the forums!

When do you need the hammock? I have a Byer Mosquito hammock that I am planning on selling--but I won't be home for a few weeks yet. Maybe I could get my girlfriend to dig it out for you if you're interested. She (and the hammock) are in Missouri. Not a fancy one like a Blackbird, but a simple beginner hammock nonetheless.
    A good caver never loses her pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast