not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    it's okay, there are folks(out there,... somewhere... I'm sure ..) who have never thought about the insides of their machines, or don't know that all mechanical machines can still exist without some kind of circuitry..
    KM (novice Luddite)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Oh dear, did not mean to cause any controversy with my first post and video link, just thought it was a handy resource for people like myself that have bought there first mechanical machine,
    I think that is likely to be an excellent resource. No controversy that I can see. What always concerns me is the guy (not to be sexist) who has no clue and watches something that gives him enough information to be dangerous. He then decides to save a few bucks and take care of the wife's top of the line Janome at home. Spritz, spritz.. twist, twist with a magnetized screwdriver... snap crackle pop... "But they said on YouTube......." Electronic and computerized machines are a whole different ballgame.

For a straight out mechanical machine it looks good and helpful. But those are becoming harder and harder to get. Just a caution to those who need it. I'm not saying "Don't clean the inside of the machine." I'm saying do it right. If you blow dust and grit farther down into an electronic machine you stand more chance of damaging something. If you exhaust all that stuff and get it out of the way, IMO, you are much better off.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    "...a light blast," Rev!

Always consider moderation... especially here at HF!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    What happened to the wife's machine? The reason I ask is if it still functions for gear making, you can co=opt that one for yourself and begin looking for a more modern machine for your wife. If you sprang for a viking 35 years ago you may have a major problem. She's spoiled rotten. That's not a bad thing. But it does mean that she will have expectations that far exceed the quality of the mechanical machines available today. At least to my knowledge. IMO it is worth investing in an excellent modern machine for the wife. She's not making gear... If she's had a viking that died after 35 years she is not a gear maker she's a seamstress. For those purposes the computerized fancy stitches available on the more modern machines are heads and shoulders above the technology available even 10 years ago.

The other factor that works into this is she will likely be using stretch stitches. While the zig-zag is a functional stretch stitch for gear making, she won't be satisfied with it for the more modern stretch fabrics. Computerized machines are required for good stretch stitches because the four directional stitch patterns required are too cumbersome for mechanical linkage. IMO good modern machines are no longer home repairable. It's like comparing cars before emissions systems and circuit boards to a 1956 muscle car.

If you do decide to go basic model then pick her up a good serger. She'll love you for that.
    First off...thanks for the great advice. We're not sure exactly what happened to the machine but were told the needed part is no longer being manufactured. I had considered trying to find the part elswhere but am not sure where to even look. Would that be a possibility and if so where would I look?

And you're right....she's far closer to being a seamstress than a gear maker.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    You could try ebay and craigs list for the same or similar machine, but beware. If your bad part is that way because of use, other machines may very well be on the fritz for the same part.

If on the other hand you dropped it and broke the Gleinhemstop, well, then another machine may be your best bet.

Off topic, but have you seen the reproduction machines that Jay Leno used to make a valve for one of his steamers? Put the part in front of a 3D scanner, the tech did some photoshopping of the final 3D piece and a plastic printer makes a replica right before your eyes. A little lost mold casting later and Jay's steamer was back in place. Shouldn't be too long before you're part can be reproduced as a one off.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    This should definitely be a sticky. Thanks for the great information!

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    GoodWill, Salvation Army and other Thrift Shops carry Thread injectors. I found a machine that works very nicely on heavy stuff. Has a few basic stitches built in (no pain in the rear Cams), everything seems to work great, sews silnylon just like it sews cotton. I am very pleased All for under $25.00. The trick is I looked at a lot of rejects before I found a keeper, and my keeper happens to be FOR the Japanese Market.

My expensive Thread Injector, is fussy about what it will sew, the timing gets off, and there are a lot of little things it is touchy about. A lot like my Jag, the machine needs alot of extra care. Not like the old VW, just get in and drive.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    I am coming to this post way late, but the reason for not using an air compressor for cleaning electronics is that it can create static (the friction of air molecules or some such thing) "canned air" has been "neutralized" some how. I know the engineers on here could explain it if we realy cared. Modern Computerized sewing machines are closer to a desktop computer than a treadle machine.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferball View Post
    I am coming to this post way late, but the reason for not using an air compressor for cleaning electronics is that it can create static (the friction of air molecules or some such thing) "canned air" has been "neutralized" some how. I know the engineers on here could explain it if we realy cared. Modern Computerized sewing machines are closer to a desktop computer than a treadle machine.
    It seems I have read warnings about using canned air on computers as well. Flying dust and particles can short out circuit boards faster than you can sneeze. The pre-circuit board machines can pick up dust and lint which hardens over time and needs professional cleaning. I just think it is a risky idea. But that's my opinion.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    I tend to agree with you on the canned air. But according to theory it is supposed to be "safe" for electronics. I have personally seen a board fried from being blown out with an air compressor. A quick spark some minor smoke and a dead computer. I never blew air of any kind into electronics after that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast