Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Intro and staying warm saga...

Some here already know me from WhiteBlaze and Hikinghq, I'm SGT Rock's wife. I've also this year moved from being just a day hiker to doing a few short trips with Rock and the boys. We are all hammock hangers.

Now my issue is staying warm. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have to keep my joints warm at night or I'm not moving in the morning, which makes it almost impossible to get out of a Hennessy (those of you who've been in one know what I'm talking about right? lol).

So far I've slept a grand total of 4 nights in my Hennessy Dessert Rat - yes I know that doesn't really register on the scale of some of y'all but it is more nights than I ever thought I'd spend in one. I always told Rock he'd never get me out there hiking with him (man I've gotta learn to keep my mouth shut...lol), but during his last deployment "his" boys worked on me. They told me lots and lots of stories about all the fun they'd had on past hiking trips and how they couldn't wait for Dad to get home so they could go again. So I decided I wanted to go at least once and see if I could stand it. Guess what... Yep you guessed it - I had the time of my life.

So that brings me up to what we've tried so far to keep me warm at night in my hammock....

Night #1: March 10, 2007 - Don't remember what the temp got down to that night, but it wasn't exactly warm. I used Rock's No Sniveler as an under quilt, one of his Army sleeping pads (felt like sleeping on a slab honestly), and had a Nunatak top quilt. I was quite toasty but that sleeping pad was really uncomfy, took away from the whole hammock experience.

Night #2: August 10, 2007. - Temps were in the 80's or 90's that day if I recall. I used my new Thermarest Z-Lite Short and the same top quilt, no under quilt this time. Ended up sleeping mostly with the top quilt under me and hot on top cool underneath. Sleeping pad MUCH more comfy though, except it slides around... We'll get this right yet I just know it.

Night #3: Sept 15, 2007. - Decided this time to try just using the No Sniveler under quilt and the top quilt with no pad (sick of chasing a pad all night). Temps got down to around 45 to 50 degrees... and I was OK as long as I laid on my side, otherwise I was cold but mostly the cold part was towards my right side (really odd). Oh and not to mention my joints decided to get stiff from staying in one position too long... nice huh?

Night #4: Sept 22, 2007. - Temps didn't get as low as they did the weekend prior at Hot Springs, which was fine by me. We made me a dual layer "T" style pad system using my Z-Lite and a Blue WalMart Pad. We attached the two together with Industrial strength Velcro and Gorilla Glue. This gave me a double layer for my torso area that was also wider. Also created less slippage although the foot end still slipped around some. My hammock was set up with my new No Sniveler underquilt, the "Critter pad", and my Nunatak top quilt. I was ready to roll. I also decided to sleep in my newly acquired polypro long underwear (I'd been using a set of SGT Rock's). All in all I stayed warm, almost too warm truth be told. (I know, I know can't please that critter gal...lol) However, that pad kept twisting on me past the cheap blue WalMart section... go figure.

So, I've made up my mind that I want to just go ahead and make a pad like Rock made for himself, then I'll cut that darn Z-lite down for a sit pad since I have to carry it in my pack as a pack frame.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but that brings y'all up to date on what my experience is in a nutshell. Also, if anyone thinks of anything that Rock and I may have missed PLEASE feel free to let me know. I really want to be able to continue hiking and hanging with my guys!
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome dixicriiter. Glad to have you aboard.

I will make one suggestion on the pad you are using. Try looking at the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads. They make a 1/4" wide/long version for hammocks. That plus the No Sniveller should keep you toasty warm in most temps. The pad is really nice and does a great job insulating me in my hammock, especially for the weight. It's also much more packable than any other pad I have used to date. I trimmed mine down to length and then cut it into a mummy shape, leaving full width at the shoulder area. I prefer not to use a pad is I can help it, but if I were going to use a pad I would go with the GG.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Hi HC!

That's looks like the same material as Rock's pad. His came from Oware USA though, double thickness.
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It may be. I know that the GG pads are made from Evazote.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Welcome dixicriiter. Glad to have you aboard.

I will make one suggestion on the pad you are using. Try looking at the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads. They make a 1/4" wide/long version for hammocks. That plus the No Sniveller should keep you toasty warm in most temps. The pad is really nice and does a great job insulating me in my hammock, especially for the weight. It's also much more packable than any other pad I have used to date. I trimmed mine down to length and then cut it into a mummy shape, leaving full width at the shoulder area. I prefer not to use a pad is I can help it, but if I were going to use a pad I would go with the GG.
    How does the Thinlite material compare to military surplus CCF pads, so far as stiffness. Also, is the material 'grippy' so far as surface texture?

tnx

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have never seen a military surplus CCF pad, but compared to my WalMart CCf it is much more flexible and packable and it does seem to slide around less the the WM CCF pad. It's tendency to stay put may also be due to the fact that the pad takes up a large amount a space inside the hammock and therefor has less room to move around.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    How does the Thinlite material compare to military surplus CCF pads, so far as stiffness. Also, is the material 'grippy' so far as surface texture?

tnx
    I've slept on one of those military CCF pads...LOL. Difference is night and day. The military CCF pads are hard as a rock, where as these pads that HC and I are discussing are very soft and flexible. My hubby swears by his, but says he has to be careful because the pad does tear easily if not taken care of properly.

Also this pad is 'grippy' according to him, which is what I'm looking for. I'm sick and tired of playing 'chase the pad' all night.
    Trail Angel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I've slept on one of those military CCF pads...LOL. Difference is night and day. The military CCF pads are hard as a rock, where as these pads that HC and I are discussing are very soft and flexible. My hubby swears by his, but says he has to be careful because the pad does tear easily if not taken care of properly.

Also this pad is 'grippy' according to him, which is what I'm looking for. I'm sick and tired of playing 'chase the pad' all night.
    Evazote pads (GG Thinlight) are very nice. I use an 1/8" pad that I double up if I need more warmth. It is more flexible that way. Still have a bit of condensation problems, but besides that I don't really notice the pad under me. They certainly feel like they will rip, but they stretch a bit, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Images
    Just finished ordering mine.
    Trail Angel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post

Well, since you are in a HH, I'll do my duty and mention the HH SuperShelter, which I think works quite well really, once you learn it's little idiosyncrasies. It is easily added to with clothing etc to take it too much lower temps. And TD claimed a lot of success using those GG pads underneath, in a "T" configuration, on top of the HH OCF pad.

But do I understand that you already have underquilts? If so, no need to look at SS. But you are already having to augment with pads inside. So, whether to augment an UQ or SS or just to use pads alone, have you considered the SPE? It works really well to help control a pad or multiple pads. Good luck with the cold weather!
    Bill

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast