Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    FTW- At least you aren't a compulsive buyer! Then you'd end-up with two of everything.
    LOL!!!!

Compulsive buyer...THAT'S ME!!!!

(Of course...that IS my job...I'm a Senior Buyer in charge of global sources at my company! )

Images
    Another way to look at it is in comparison to how much you'd pay to sleep in a hotel for ONE night of comfort... Then look at how much the additional comfort is going to cost you over the life of the quilt on a nightly basis...

Seems like a bargain now... I have to say I've never regretted spending money on quality, on other things yes, but not on quality.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Another way to look at it is in comparison to how much you'd pay to sleep in a hotel for ONE night of comfort... Then look at how much the additional comfort is going to cost you over the life of the quilt on a nightly basis...

Seems like a bargain now... I have to say I've never regretted spending money on quality, on other things yes, but not on quality.
    Oh man, that's an epiphany I could have lived without. Now that you put it that way, where IS my credit card?
    Last edited by Cannibal; 09-27-2007 at 11:52. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ...where IS my credit card?
    I know right where mine is...it's in my wife's purse...otherwise I would go CRAZY with camping stuff!!!!!

Images
    I resisted spending a lot on a good down sleeping bag for years... Often I was slightly uncomfortable when camping.

Then I came across that thought somewhere (I won't claim originality) and eventually it convinced me to buy one. That was more than 10 years ago.... Ever since I've never been cold or uncomfortable sleeping while camping and when I wake on those chilly mornings all snuggled up in my toasty down bag I think... "This is better than any night I spent in a hotel, and it cost me about the price of two nights in a hotel...

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You guys are not helping. Not one bit. Thanks . . . I mean, cut it out . . . I mean tell me more about the expensive stuff . . .

So what's the difference between the Momentum 90 taffeta and the ripstop? The taffeta comes only in black.

I sent an email to Thru-hiker asking if they could send me scrap samples. We'll see what they say.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    Check the link I had to Mountain Laurel for some info on what they see as the differences (besides the obvious)...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I resisted spending a lot on a good down sleeping bag for years... Often I was slightly uncomfortable when camping.

Then I came across that thought somewhere (I won't claim originality) and eventually it convinced me to buy one. That was more than 10 years ago.... Ever since I've never been cold or uncomfortable sleeping while camping and when I wake on those chilly mornings all snuggled up in my toasty down bag I think... "This is better than any night I spent in a hotel, and it cost me about the price of two nights in a hotel...
    10 years ago prices would be what? And hotel prices 10 years ago were much cheaper too, btw. Now some of these down thingys are in the 300's!!! (!) I'm with you on paying for quality, as long as it doesn't hurt too bad. I can't seem to pull the trigger here approaching those prices... too much "sticker shock".

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    So what's the difference between the Momentum 90 taffeta and the ripstop? The taffeta comes only in black.

FreeTheWeasel
    Sorry. I meant, what is the difference the two versions of Momentum 90? There are several colors of Momentum 90 ripstop but the Momentum 90 taffeta comes only in black. Assuming one side is going to black, which Momentum 90 would you use?

Not that I'm going to use it, mind you. That decision needs a few more days

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    10 years ago prices would be what? And hotel prices 10 years ago were much cheaper too, btw. Now some of these down thingys are in the 300's!!! (!) I'm with you on paying for quality, as long as it doesn't hurt too bad. I can't seem to pull the trigger here approaching those prices... too much "sticker shock".
    I hear you on that side of it too...

I paid $150 back then, and hotels were in the $50-90 range...

Now the bags are $200-300 and hotels are $70-150 (around here...And most of the ones under $100 you wouldn't want to actually sleep in....)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast