Images

Ordered a Clark NA

Hi all - I'm new to the forum and soon to be new to hammock camping.

I've been "researching" hammocks on the net for about 2 weeks. The Clark NA and the Hennessy Deluxe seemed to fit my needs the best. I spoke to both extensively over the phone. I decided to try the Clark first because the Clark return policy is more definite (90-days) than HH's ("we have taken returns in the past").

I also think that (but will have to test whether) the top weather shield and the 6 storage pockets will be advantageous for cold weather sleeping. HH had a package for cold weather sleeping options, but it involved several pieces and I figured I’d try the simpler approach first.

But I am concerned about the Clark’s length and width - I'm 6'3" and have broad shoulders. I have been experimenting with sleeping in a parachute hammock and I sleep very comfortably Brazilian style. It is longer and wider than the Clark so I'm a little concerned about whether I'll be able to achieve the same comfort level in the Clark. I'll let you all know how it turns out after my backyard field test.

In the meantime, I've been reading about the use of pads for additional cold weather comfort and found the SPE through references in this forum. Looks like a great idea, but it seems to me that it could be easily duplicated, and perhaps improved upon, by using just industrial strength Velcro (1 side with stickey tape) to attach the wings to a pad. I'm going to experiment with that also.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site. Let us know how the SPE experiment goes. Sounds promising.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome nogods.

Clark always makes me giggle when I see their "UltraLight" is 2.2lbs. That does include the tarp, but still a funny name.

The people I've spoken with that like Clarks...really like Clarks. It should be wide enough for your frame and I bet you're comfortable in it. Like you said:

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I decided to try the Clark first because the Clark return policy is more definite (90-days)
    Let us know how it works for you. I've got a Clark on my wish list. One can NEVER have too many hammocks!

Images

Off to the Wrong Start

I'm so excited about getting my Clark Jungle Hammock that I pay the extra $10 for the 3-day express shipping. Clark gets the hammock to UPS promptly and UPS gets it on its way to me. It arrived at the UPS Buffalo distribution center yesterday - which means it would have been delivered to me today. But some anti-hammock tent-popping guy at UPS puts it on a truck bound for Syracuse for no known reason. UPS apologizes when I call and complain but can't do anything about the mistake (other than refund the $10). So I sit here this weekend hammockless dreaming about the bliss I'll find once it arrives.

Images

Got the Clark Today

I got my Clark Jungle North American today. Set it up in backyard to be certain it was all there. It was missing one piece of the fly tie-down rope.

I like the design with the exterior pockets, the double sided zippered bug net and the top cover. It was about 75 this afternoon and it was way too warm inside with my homemade SPE and the cover closed. The weather for the next week is highs in the mid 70’s and lows in the low 60’s – but next Monday we get back to more seasonal weather with temperatures dipping into the low 40’s and high 30’s do I’ll test out the cold factors then.

As I suspected, it is much smaller than my parachute hammock. I'm going to give it a few nights use this week to determine if I can be comfortable in it. If I was only 5"10 or less it would be perfect, but at 6'3" it seems a little cramped.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    On the Clark hang the ropes as high on the tree as you can and make sure to let it sag at about 30 degrees to keep it comfortable.

Images

need clarification

Thanks for the advice hangnout - but exactly what do you mean by "sag 30 degrees"? I'm assuming that if i tighten the support ropes so that the hammock was flat - that would be 0 degrees, and if I tied the support ropes over head so the hammock hung straigh up and down, that would be 90 degrees. Thus a 30 degree hang would be about a thrid of the way between 0 and 90 - is that right?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yeah, that is the general idea. After a few hangs you just know when it is right. It will stretch on the first couple hangs then you will be good to go.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    NOGODS glad to see you got it in keep me informed on all in's and out's of your testing of it as I have said in the past I am thinking of getting one real soon I have to have it or something like it before the 19 of this month.

• + New Posts